Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC Fight Night Lewis vs Browne Sun 19 Feb 11pm GMT

• 20-02-2017 12:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭

409770.jpg

No thread up an just about to get under way. Hopefully will see a good chunk of it but no doubt will be asleep before the Hendricks fight.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Quick finish in the first fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭tinpib

Nice of UFC to give some of the interns a bash at commentating and MC'ing*.

*[I know yer man Joe Rodrigues does mc'ing for boxing too, it's just weird without Bruce]

Ah Damnit! Really wanted to see Marshman do well here.

I think the stoppage was a little early though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Joe done the Cagewarriors shows,

Better card than 208 already.

What a finish! Spinning heel kick. Commentators thought it was a bit of an early stoppage, not in my book, ref was spot on. Marshman landed some lovely punches earlier too. Good fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

John_D80 wrote: »
    Ah Damnit! Really wanted to see Marshman do well here.

I think the stoppage was a little early though.

Me too although not a tad bit biased had him in accum :rolleyes:

Another great fight there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I'm enjoying Todd Phillips' commentary. Genuinely sounds excited to be there.

Yep prefer him than Anik if im honest.

What a win for Markos. I had Esparza winning it by a hairs breadth but all credit to Randa.

• Advertisement

30-27 elias there possibly the worst scorecard ive seen this year.

Gamebred wrote: »
    30-27 elias there possibly the worst scorecard ive seen this year.

Hardly the worst

Had it 29-28 meself for Elias only giving Cezar the first round and he shaded that

worse than 30-27 Anderson Silva?, 30-27 Nover? Joe Lauzon even acknowledging his opponent probably won whatever the judges scored it?

He was taken down and nearly strangled in the 3rd alone, first round he was beaten too sweeped and hurt a few times, gave him the 2nd round due to a takedown even though he was in a tight enough guillotine,

https://twitter.com/MikeBohnMMA/status/833522171943219200

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

That Canadian kid Tucker was slick as feck.

He was taken down and nearly strangled in the 3rd alone, first round he was beaten too sweeped and hurt a few times, gave him the 2nd round due to a takedown even though he was in a tight enough guillotine,

He was controlling the fight for a majority of the round yeah till Cezar got the back late on but he fought hands and freed out even almost getting a takedown himself didn't warrant scoring the round for Cezar in my eyes.

That Canadian kid Tucker was slick as feck.

Could've been more impressive had he even hinted he could finish but yeah I'll stop there would be harsh to criticize much after debut in octagon.

Mr Muscle about to gas hard here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Have to say Todd Grisham has done a great job so far, really liking his commentary and he could be paired up with Rogan soon enough if he keeps it going.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

29-28 Rig. He looked decent there.

• Advertisement

2 30-27's though? :confused:

Edmond's star pupil about to get murked next. :)

Lewis is absolute muck hes getting slept by Travis.

martyos121 wrote: »
    Edmond's star pupil about to get murked next. :)

Likely Ronda won't fight again let alone next...

Likely Ronda won't fight again let alone next...

As poor as Travis has been lately, he's ten times as well rounded as Ronda ever will be.

Lewis is absolute muck hes getting slept by Travis.

Is he now? :pac:

The Black Beast takes another soul. He's not a great technician but he hits like a truck.

Browne is finished as a potential contender.

By far the best parody account on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/coachedmund/status/833540886449549312

martyos121 wrote: »
    As poor as Travis has been lately, he's ten times as well rounded as Ronda ever will be.

He should take the throwing opponent on top of himself out of his game.

Very poor stoppage from Mario

• Advertisement

GOAT parody account alright,

Crazy fight glad I stayed up for that, Browne missed a trick in the first round not spamming the body shots was over cautious I thought, great heart from the 2 boys.

Lewis's post fight. Dying.

He should take the throwing opponent on top of himself out of his game.

Very poor stoppage from Mario

Ironically, Ronda could do with that technique, anything that gets it to the ground! :pac:

Possibly the funniest interview of all time in nots laughing hahahahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭Guffy

Good fight, thought lewis was done during the first but browne was overly cautious. Tbf the man has some punch to be worried about. What was the ref doing? Terribly slow call but on the other hand i wouldn't want to jump across one of those blows!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

yeah the ref seemed happy to wait until Browne was well out before he stopped the fight

I thought it could have been stopped when they were still standing

• Advertisement

I think the ref wanted Travis to take that punishment, he barely made any effort even when he decided to stop it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think the ref wanted Travis to take that punishment, he barely made any effort even when he decided to stop it.

it certainly looked like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Reckon thats the last we see of browne in the ufc or perhaps even in mma.

The man had great potential but the wrong decisions has ruined his career. Hes regressed so much its scary.

Now lewis vs ngannou i'd buy that for a dollar but reckon its too soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,657 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

tinpib wrote: »
    What a finish! Spinning heel kick. Commentators thought it was a bit of an early stoppage, not in my book, ref was spot on. Marshman landed some lovely punches earlier too. Good fight.
    In real time I felt it was early. He wsa knocked down but no knocked out. Was attempted to close guard and defend.

The slo-mo looked more like a stoppage though. His arms were failing a bit.
    John_D80 wrote: »
    What a win for Markos. I had Esparza winning it by a hairs breadth but all credit to Randa.
    Rd 1 Markos
    Rd 2 Carla
    Rd 3 Markos

For me

~~~~

Paul Felders elbow was very nice

~~~~

Mazany was really poor. Just waked into it (mainly mad because she blew my accum)

~~~~

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

ricero wrote: »
    Reckon thats the last we see of browne in the ufc or perhaps even in mma.

The man had great potential but the wrong decisions has ruined his career. Hes regressed so much its scary.

Now lewis vs ngannou i'd buy that for a dollar but reckon its too soon

I'd love that fight too, but looks like we'll get Ngannou v Cain and Lewis v Hunt/Overeem. After that, if Werdum beats Rothwell, there'll be 2 if not 3 strong claims for a title shot.

I have a feeling Stipe will hold onto the belt for another couple of defences.

• Advertisement

Hendricks says he feels rejuvenated and is looking forward to more fights. I thought he looked awful physically and I wasn't really impressed by his performance. Could easily have lost on the cards and neither of them really did anything to try and win the fight. Hendricks would have no hope against any of the top contenders in my opinion. Don't know where he goes from here.

Django99 wrote: »
    Hendricks says he feels rejuvenated and is looking forward to more fights. I thought he looked awful physically and I wasn't really impressed by his performance. Could easily have lost on the cards and neither of them really did anything to try and win the fight. Hendricks would have no hope against any of the top contenders in my opinion. Don't know where he goes from here.

He looked great physically compared to the last few years. He was super light on his feet, very good foot and head movement, very active and fought very smartly and nearly had Lombard out of there more than once.
    Very convincing win in my books.

He looked great physically compared to the last few years. He was super light on his feet, very good foot and head movement, very active and fought very smartly and nearly had Lombard out of there more than once.
    Very convincing win in my books.

I must watch it again I can't remember Hector being in trouble.

I'd agree he looks better than the failed weight cuts recently, but in comparison to when he fought GSP and Lawler, I think he looks awful.

I have a feeling Stipe will hold onto the belt for another couple of defences.
    No matter how dominant somebody looks at HW, something goes wrong and they lose the belt. Nobody (in 20 years) has defended more than twice.

Mellor wrote: »
    No matter how dominant somebody looks at HW, something goes wrong and they lose the belt. Nobody (in 20 years) has defended more than twice.

True, and the same can be said for LW. I have faith in Stipe though. I'd maybe pick Cain over him but not much hope of him staying fit to make a run at it. Would pick him over the rest of the contenders though.

Best Browne looked in a long time last night barring the ending, slipped up massively not capitalizing in that rd 1, Ronda and himself up ended now non stop lately some might say karma.

Best Browne looked in a long time last night barring the ending, slipped up massively not capitalizing in that rd 1, Ronda and himself up ended now non stop lately some might say karma.

He had Lewis in trouble, thought he'd get the finish when Lewis literally turned around and ran to the other side of the cage with his back to Browne.

Ya didn't I read she referred to Brendan Schaub* in her book as an average fighter she dated wonder how she'd describe Browne now 2 wins in his last 7 and one of those wins was Schaub :) the other with eye-pokes assistance.

*Not directly referred believe he was under a different name but him nonetheless

True, and the same can be said for LW. I have faith in Stipe though. I'd maybe pick Cain over him but not much hope of him staying fit to make a run at it. Would pick him over the rest of the contenders though.

Lightweight has faired slightly better with BJ, Frankie and Henderson consecutively getting to 3 defences. It's only recently been one and pass. HW goes right back to Mark Coleman.

Maybe Stipe can break the curse. Looks like he'll have to face JDS and Cain to achieve that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36 davidwalsh12

tinpib wrote: »
    What a finish!  Spinning heel kick.  Commentators thought it was a bit of an early stoppage, not in my book, ref was spot on.  Marshman landed some lovely punches earlier too.  Good fight.
    Stoppage was terrible, The kick was a slap. Marshman was defending himself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement