Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Wild Atlantic Way' on motorbike from Donegal to Cork

Options
  • 20-02-2017 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

I'm planning on doing part of The Wild Atlantic Way in April, I live in Cork but want to transport my Triumph Bonnie up to Donegal and then spin down, I'm giving myself 5 days. I'd like to know if anyone has done it in that short length (they recommend 2 and a half weeks to see everything!). I'm planning on staying in budget guest houses, B&B's, air B&B's or hostels. Any thoughts, tips or Do's and Dont's would be greatly appreciated. Seb

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

I have no advice but I'll be drivng over from Switzerland this year and plan to do something similar so am eager to hear people's thoughts and advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Why not drive it up to Donegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ccmp

I'd avoid the hassle and expense of shipping it up and then trying to get yourself up.  Drive it up. I did Schull to Killybegs 2 up last year in a day. Toured around donegal for a couple of days before driving back down.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Sebatron3

I don't want to be wrecked when I get to Donegal after spinning up (with no fairings or protection in my case), I want to be fresh and awake so I can explore, I'd then take my time driving down so I get to spend time at the nicer sites and take them in, don't like the idea of rushing - it's relaxing time for me - therefore I dont mind paying a couple of hundred to a man with a van to bring me and the bike up.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Drive it up, take an extra day and spend the couple of hundred on a five star to relax before you take the slower journey down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Echoes675

I'm planning on doing this with my mate later in the summer but planning to continue on round the perimeter and making our way back up the east.

listermint wrote: »
    Drive it up, take an extra day and spend the couple of hundred on a five start to relax before you take the slower journey down.

That makes allot more sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭rat_race

Sebatron3 wrote: »
    That makes allot more sense!

The thoughts of anything shipping their bike around around, is insane!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Riding a bike is the fun part, getting there is the adventure.
    Having a van transport a bike to a location is fine if its on the Continent and involves lots of Motorway work but Ireland is small?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,968 ✭✭✭✭GBX

rat_race wrote: »
    The thoughts of anything shipping their bike around around, is insane!
    CJhaughey wrote: »
    Riding a bike is the fun part, getting there is the adventure.
    Having a van transport a bike to a location is fine if its on the Continent and involves lots of Motorway work but Ireland is small?

As CJ said .. its not exactly a 1000k journey to where you want to begin your trip. It makes it that your starting when you wake up and off you go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

2.5 weeks? You'd walk it in 2.5 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

I've done pretty much the whole WAW, not in one go mind you.

5 days is very very tight to get it all done imho.

Donegal to Galway is grand, bit boring if you ask me. I've done Donegal, which enjoyed the most and down to Galway via Bundoran and Sligo. Was a 3 days trip, could have spent more in Donegal, really nice if you get the weather.

Galway to Waterford via the WAW.

Fr Teds House to Cliffs oh Moher is really nice. Went through Lisdoovarna.
    From there we headed towards Lahinch and pulled over in Liscannor and stayed in Vaughans Inn, great rooms and food in the restaurant is pretty amazing.

After that headed towards Spanish Point, Doonbeg, Kilkee and onto Kilrush for the Ferry to Tarbert.
    Ended up in Tralee and just found a hotel and crashed there, there all the same down there.

From there into Killarney. Where we staying in the Gleneagles. Anywhere in the town is just hard to get safe parking. Killarney to Waterford then via the N22, really nice road and great views and twistys.

Ring of Kerry, I did this last year on my own. Now, its possible to just drive around the ring in about 3-4 hrs, but the amount of things to do and stop and see will dictate your spend, in fairness you could spend 5 days alone on the thing.
    I really enjoyed the ring of kerry and certainly will do it again this year but will spend more time off the bike, its such a nice drive.

Here is a video of the Cavan-Galway-Kerry-Waterford trip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USJM2Uzvs_k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

^^ yep I like to take my time, stop and see the sights, take the back roads, talk to the locals, etc. id schedule no less than two weeks myself
    when you get home start planning the Scotland adventure 8-)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

when you get home start planning the Scotland adventure 8-)

Start buying midge repellent if you are planning any outdoors activities as well.
    Lovely scenery and fine open roads but the midges would drive you insane if you stop.

I've done pretty much the whole WAW, not in one go mind you.

5 days is very very tight to get it all done imho.

Donegal to Galway is grand, bit boring if you ask me. I've done Donegal, which enjoyed the most and down to Galway via Bundoran and Sligo. Was a 3 days trip, could have spent more in Donegal, really nice if you get the weather.

Galway to Waterford via the WAW.

Fr Teds House to Cliffs oh Moher is really nice. Went through Lisdoovarna.
    From there we headed towards Lahinch and pulled over in Liscannor and stayed in Vaughans Inn, great rooms and food in the restaurant is pretty amazing.

After that headed towards Spanish Point, Doonbeg, Kilkee and onto Kilrush for the Ferry to Tarbert.
    Ended up in Tralee and just found a hotel and crashed there, there all the same down there.

From there into Killarney. Where we staying in the Gleneagles. Anywhere in the town is just hard to get safe parking. Killarney to Waterford then via the N22, really nice road and great views and twistys.

Ring of Kerry, I did this last year on my own. Now, its possible to just drive around the ring in about 3-4 hrs, but the amount of things to do and stop and see will dictate your spend, in fairness you could spend 5 days alone on the thing.
    I really enjoyed the ring of kerry and certainly will do it again this year but will spend more time off the bike, its such a nice drive.

Here is a video of the Cavan-Galway-Kerry-Waterford trip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USJM2Uzvs_k

Thanks Uncle Bill! Some good tips there, I think I'll take your advice and if it's not lashing rain I'll stay a bit in Donegal. The group has massed to 3 bikers now on retro bikes - can't wait! 🏍🏍🏍 PSE great vid, we'll be filming ours too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Sebatron3 wrote: »
    Thanks Uncle Bill! Some good tips there, I think I'll take your advice and if it's not lashing rain I'll stay a bit in Donegal. The group has massed to 3 bikers now on retro bikes - can't wait! 🏍🏍🏍 PSE great vid, we'll be filming ours too!

hi,

I'm just back from 3 days biking, I actually decided to go around just donegal, mainly the north.

Buncrana into Carn literarily blew my head, what a spot that Innis area is. Just downloaded the video now :-)

Enjoy your trip.

Advertisement