Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

120 SSS as USB drive

Options
  • 20-02-2017 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

Hi there,
    I replaced my internal 120GB SSD with a newer larger drive on a laptop.

Bought an external enclosure to run the 120 as a USB drive and to access files still on it. But two laptops Win 10 and Win 7 both want to format the drive first. Any way to stop this for a short while so I can still access the files?

I eventually will format it, just not right away.

Thanks
    Patrick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Try this

After plugging in the device, go to device manager (In run type "devmgmt.msc") In Device manager go to "Universal serial bus controllers" It should list the storage devices that you have connected to your PC. Right click and then click "Uninstall. Remove the USB drive and restart your system.
    Try connecting the device again.

if that fails i would try connecting it to another desktop pc,and see if system would allow to access drive.Since not sure of enclosure you got but them ssds do need power even thou not sure exact number, but usb only provides like 5v max.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭txpjl

Thanks for the reply.

The enclosure is an Inateck. When I plug it in it immediately sees the device with a chime and asks to format it, so don't think power is the issue.

I unplugged the drive from the USB but don't see the installed list under the 'Universal serial bus controllers' increase or decrease.

Also get the same on the Win 7 laptop.

The device manager list the same devices for both laptops. Which driver do I uninstall?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭sheepy01

What OS has on it installed?
    If you plug it again to the laptop will it boot normally?
    If not, looks like corrupted firmware or nand

Windows 7 on the old 120GB. Yes, it boots no problem if I reinstall it into the Laptop.

It's just awkward as the whole bottom case has to come off to refit it. Laptop is a Lenovo X240

I've pulled most of the files I want, but wanted to get to it using the USB for a few weeks if I missed anything before formatting it clean.

Thanks
    Patrick

Then it could be the controller in the enclosure. Is it a cheapo one?

• Advertisement

The enclosure I bought is:

Inateck 2.5 Inch USB 3.0 Hard Drive Disk Enclosure/ Case for 9.5mm 7mm 2.5 Inch SATA I/II/III/HDD/SSD, Support UASP and Optimized For SSD, Tool Free
    by Inateck From Amazon cost £11 I think.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KW4T69A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Do you have a disk drive in the laptop? You could plug the drive in there to take files off it. It's the same SATA connection for a disk drive as a hard drive.

No, it's only got USB and SD card.

It's OK, I can live with it. Like I said, I've got most off anyway. Just surprised it can't see it without formatting it first.

Thanks

I would say its the case, I have experience using external bays with usb 3.0 for desktops and laptops when working and sometimes getting that message. Once you format the unit when it asks for then they read OK. Other times its because the drive itself has a GPT partition or another format and could me an issue, when external.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Wheety wrote: »
    Do you have a disk drive in the laptop? You could plug the drive in there to take files off it. It's the same SATA connection for a disk drive as a hard drive.

Its not the same. You can get HDD caddys that fit in an optical drive slot, but the connection is different to regular SATA.

410348.JPG

• Advertisement
Advertisement