Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Issue

Options
  • 20-02-2017 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭

Hi All,

Got a perm full-time job in a company, have to say not liking my role, I was unreal lucky to even land this role with my experience but the training consisted of me reading power-points and just running to people for questions when I get stuck. :mad: No 1to1 training. Have to go ask for help 20 times a day. Everyone else that starts gets 4 weeks 1to1 training but yet in my dept its comment for people to sit in a office chair for 4 weeks just reading power points and watching videos.:confused:

I'm 3 months into my 6 months probation and want to apply for other roles in the company? Has anyone ever moved roles in a company while still on probation?? I am thinking of just sticking it out for the next 3 months and get my perm contract.

I brought some of these points up in my 3 month probation and my manager said "I know your not happy with your progress but I'm extremely happy with how your coming on, So it doesn't matter :("

The role just is not what I signed up for

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭screamer

A lot of jobs are like this. TBH hand holding is not a great thing to be looking for and sometimes you've to show your initiative and learn yourself and build your network to know who to ask for help when stuck. it's a great skilset to have and one to develop if you don't have it already. TBH the best way to learn is to get stuck in yourself. It's unlikely another department would take you on if they know this.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭DaraDali

screamer wrote: »
    A lot of jobs are like this. TBH hand holding is not a great thing to be looking for and sometimes you've to show your initiative and learn yourself and build your network to know who to ask for help when stuck. it's a great skilset to have and one to develop if you don't have it already. TBH the best way to learn is to get stuck in yourself. It's unlikely another department would take you on if they know this.

I agree but some starting handholding is nice :rolleyes:

Have years of experience in other roles, its a new company taking on 100+ new employees in the next year. Here 3months and I feel like that this scene in the Black Books. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVGdhAetJaQ

Training aside, asking 20+ times a day for help while on a solo project and being told your doing a amazing job isn't great. I agree getting stuck in is one way to learn but without a proper base? A colleague came over from another country this week and had 12 weeks 1to1 training at our HQ, I just feel let down at the moment.

My job at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If you have years of experience in other roles, then I'm surprised that you need that much training anyways. Most jobs these days expect you to hit the ground more or less running.

What do you actually dislike about the job itself? (Apart from the fact that you're expected to use your initiative instead of have everything handed to you on a plate.)

Perhaps you need to look for a mentor in the company to meet with once a week for coffee and chat? Maybe your boss - or maybe they might recommend someone more suitable.

If they're a new company and going to be hiring 100+, then surely you realise why most won't get much 1-1 training or induction?

If you have years of experience in other roles, then I'm surprised that you need that much training anyways. Most jobs these days expect you to hit the ground more or less running.

Have years of experience in other roles, changed career around 4 years ago between going back to college and 2 jobs and a jobbridge later got this role.
    What do you actually dislike about the job itself? (Apart from the fact that you're expected to use your initiative instead of have everything handed to you on a plate.)

Death by powerpoint for starters, its an IT based role where I have to be an expert on 4 different software's, hard to become an expert on something on your own, not to mention going cap in hand every time Ive a question just because I wasn't even given the most basic of training.
    Perhaps you need to look for a mentor in the company to meet with once a week for coffee and chat? Maybe your boss - or maybe they might recommend someone more suitable.

If they're a new company and going to be hiring 100+, then surely you realise why most won't get much 1-1 training or induction?

It's just very demoralizing learning stuff on the go when every new hire gets 4weeks plus training in less tech roles. I am the first new hire in over a yr, my mentors are too busy to only answer questions when i arrive at their desks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Are you being a little hard on yourself, surely if the boss is very happy with you then you are doing a good job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I'd just stick it out for the next 3 months and see how it goes. Tbh the job sounds like something where it makes sense to read through documentation yourself rather than 1 to 1 training. You'll be more comfortable and confident in your role after some time and will probably enjoy it more then too. I wouldn't even consider applying for other roles so early on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Tindog76

For what it's worth, don't try to jump to another role while on probation. It won't look good on you and also the chances are that you may not be eligible to apply for said other roles. To be honest, you sold yourself really well to get the role you are in and this may have been interpreted as 'ability to work on your own initiative with very little support /oversight needed'! But initially though, I would expect some aspects of oversight and training with interactions with others.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

DaraDali wrote: »

Death by powerpoint for starters, its an IT based role where I have to be an expert on 4 different software's, hard to become an expert on something on your own

That's exactly how you normally become an "expert" on something.

Can you not grab the software and setup some sort of staging/lab environment and crack on with the docs etc.

Pretty much every bit of software I've had to learn over the years was done by reading a few docs and just cracking on with it.

I understand it might be a bit frustrating at first but it's the only way you're really going to learn

With 4 years IT experience you should be well used to this

campo wrote: »
    Are you being a little hard on yourself, surely if the boss is very happy with you then you are doing a good job

My Boss said the same thing, guess in my head I feel like I'm not progressing fast enough.

miezekatze wrote: »
    I'd just stick it out for the next 3 months and see how it goes. Tbh the job sounds like something where it makes sense to read through documentation yourself rather than 1 to 1 training. You'll be more comfortable and confident in your role after some time and will probably enjoy it more then too. I wouldn't even consider applying for other roles so early on.

It's a software config role, so most of the day I'm looking at files 50,000 lines + and thats just XML :eek: Really old code in fairness but just need more training on it.

TBH my prayers got answered, have 2 training sessions every day for the rest of the week :D I guess Boards.ie does work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

My Boss said the same thing, guess in my head I feel like I'm not progressing fast enough.
    I'm where I am 2 years and I still ask people for help every day. Some roles have longer learning curves than others.

limnam wrote: »
    That's exactly how you normally become an "expert" on something.

Can you not grab the software and setup some sort of staging/lab environment and crack on with the docs etc.

Pretty much every bit of software I've had to learn over the years was done by reading a few docs and just cracking on with it.

I understand it might be a bit frustrating at first but it's the only way you're really going to learn

With 4 years IT experience you should be well used to this

Well used to understanding how software works, its more the folders and files that still confuse me :confused: Coming from college into files so large I feel like i never reach the end.

TheChizler wrote: »
    I'm where I am 2 years and I still ask people for help every day. Some roles have longer learning curves than others.

Do you not get tired? every single day asking for help :D Here 3 months and its annoying me already

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Do you not get tired? every single day asking for help :D Here 3 months and its annoying me already
    Not really, they're new questions (nearly :D) every time, I'm constantly learning. As long as I feel I've made a decent attempt to figure it out myself I've no problem going to someone more knowledgeable. I think once I feel it's more efficient overall to ask somebody than get stuck for hours.

Advertisement