Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cape town to Cairo or Dublin to Cape town

• 20-02-2017 12:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

Hey guys. 
    Just in the early stages of trying to plan a 6 - 8 month trip through Africa on a motorbike sometime in 2018. 
    Have been to Africa a few years ago for a few months but not on a bike. I know a little bit about what to expect in general - but nothing about how to go about organising or buying a bike for the trip. 
    My other half will be on the back so a 2up job. We've done a trip in through Vietnam over a month like this and it was a real adventure. 
    Africa will be different. 
    Wondering if there's anyone in here who knows about the best option to either buy a bike in Ireland and ride all the way down or whether it would be easier buying a bike in South Africa and riding up to Cairo? 
    The carnet and all that stuff is very confusing, so I'd just love to have a chat with someone who actually knows something about the carnet etc. 
    cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Horizons unlimited HUBB is great for current info on where is safe and passable and where to avoid.
    http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/

• Registered Users Posts: 2 tiggeranseo

As above the HUBB is the best place for info. Most of the areas are fairly static but from Kenya northwards is where you may encounter difficulty with a bike.

With regards to buying/shipping I personally lean towards shipping. The Hubb will always have a few overlanders looking to sell after finishing in Cape Town and you can be lucky or unlucky. That also generates problems with expiring carnets etc. After breaking a brand new Chinese bike in two and nursing a transalp across Russia I paid my money and shipped my own bike to Argentina for my last trip. It certainly makes for more peace of mind.

The Carnet is very straightforward. On an Irish registered bike you can use ADAC in Germany (Much cheaper than RAC in the UK). The Carnet isn't required by all countries (You can get temporary import permits TIPs) but it certainly cuts down on the hassle. There are quite a few reports of people travelling without them but they also spend a lot more time at borders as a result.

I drove from Ireland down to Cape Town in a Landrover a few years back and can't recommend it enough to anybody considering it! If you have any queries I'm on the Hubb too as tadhg123.

Advertisement