Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal injury claim following a motor accident

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Lux23 wrote: »
    Neither are scumbags, that's just a nonsense statement.

Which, the rear endee should feel sorry for or take pity on the person who rammed into him?

I got a good laugh out of it, but it does show that there is an issue with how people drive and their "out of my way peasants!" attitude to other road users.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭tarmon

If the "injured" party goes the Injuries Board route their payout will be based solely on a doctors report of their "injuries". The Injuries Board will not be interested in any investigation regarding the extent of damages to the car, the velocity of the impact etc. ect.
    Also due to the recent revision of the Book of Quantum the award for a whiplash or soft tissue injury classified as moderate to serious is now up around €25K. I know directly of one case where an individual was knocked over (by a skateboard) onto a grass surface suffering a soft tissue injury to their arm and they received €25K. Neither the Injuries Board nor anyone from the insurance company were interested in investigating the particulars of the accident.
    Insurance companies will not usually "fight" claims because the payout will be less than the costs associated with mounting a legal challenge.
    I have spent three days in the High Court observing a major insurance company defending a case and I can tell you it's an eye opening experience! The system that operates in this country just beggars belief in my opinion.
    Now that people are feeling it in their pocket with regards to motor policies it's a big deal but ask any business owner and the availability and cost of insurance has been a major problem them for years now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭mel123

Here's a thought.....maybe its a genuine claim!!!!!
    Everyone is so quick to assume the claimant is not serious, that also says something for the times we live in!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭mel123

Patww79 wrote: »

How can you say 'most likely its not though'?!?!

Well then its people like you with that attitude that have all our insurance premiums up.....i hope the tables dont turn and someone puts in a fake claim against you, then you will really know what being screwed is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

These kind of claims are paid out by insurances based on the judgement of the injury board.Can take a while. Happened to my ex, his premium went up as a result but not too much. Think the payout at the time was +/- 35k but it was a nasty accident .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

mel123 wrote: »
    How can you say 'most likely its not though'?!?!
    Because Irish car accidents for some odd reason generate an average of 80% whiplash claims compared to 3% in mainland Europe. Or are you claiming that all Irish people have significantly weaker necks and drive that old cars that they don't have comparable neck protection in the car (standard since the 90s)?

Of course the fact you'd get around 1.500 EUR (on presentation of medical bills only) in Germany compared to 25.000 EUR cash in hand in Ireland might have something to do with it...

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭griffzinho

Sorry for your hassle, but it'll be up €15,000 average possibly compo for whiplash. Insurance company won't fight it and will probably settle for a sum less with the claimant. Won't risk putting it in front of a judge because it is so unpredictable. Judges awards can very significantly.

Considering the case here I'd say settle for €5,000 to €10,000 per occupant in front car.

Our claim culture is beyond a joke in this country. It is a sad reflection on how some parts of our society have changed in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭trixiebust

Oh OP, I feel your pain. Started a thread recently about the same.
    Rear ended someone at about 10kph on a roundabout.

Five years later, claim has just been settled against me. The payout... 45k + legal expenses + high court costs.

All for a "soft tissue injury", aka whiplash. Prepare to be fleeced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

some people are dishonest and willing to claim for an 'injury' that may not exist. it's the culture in ireland nowadays.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

some people are dishonest and willing to claim for an 'injury' that may not exist. it's the culture in ireland nowadays.

In a lot more cases though, there is some minor transient injury (that most likely didn't even require any medical attention) but the injured party seriously hypes the injury to make it deserved of compensation and ah sure, that's not really being dishonest, is it..?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I recently got rear ended (wahay). Low enough speed, impact for me was like oooof but no big deal. Anyway I was quite surprised to find later I developed a reasonably sore back for a day or so. I would never claim for such a thing but I guess it opened my eyes to how easy it is to hurt your back in such an instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I recently got rear ended (wahay). Low enough speed, impact for me was like oooof but no big deal. Anyway I was quite surprised to find later I developed a reasonably sore back for a day or so. I would never claim for such a thing but I guess it opened my eyes to how easy it is to hurt your back in such an instance.

Did you get a fair deal and decent treatment dealing with the mechanical damage ... or did the mess you around, waste your time and then lowball you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Did you get a fair deal and decent treatment dealing with the mechanical damage ... or did the mess you around, waste your time and then lowball you?

I'm in Australia so maybe different. I claimed on the other sides insurance as third party. Was told to take it to either their or my repair people. I took it to a well reviewed independent place around the corner from me who gave me a quote. I then had to go to an assessment place to make sure the insurers people agreed with the quote, they did and car got repaired. It was all straight forward really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Triangle wrote: »
    For Pat Mustard - honestly, take off your tin foil hat!! Insurance companies are in it to make a profit and there are over 40 in the insurance market here. All competing against each other. If you think they want to payout on potential fraud cases - you need to question that! It makes financial sense for them to have low claim costs as any business run with high loss ratios is not going to last long.

My point was that the recent insurance hikes are not caused by cost of compensation or legal costs. You will see the report that I quoted, which supports my point.

You might explain how your post relates to my point.

Advertisement