Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Non-scary, non-violent young teen book recommendations?

• 20-02-2017 12:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭

My daughter will be 13 in May and is a voracious reader, but she also steers clear of anything with any hint of horror, the supernatural, or violence, which seems to rule out a lot of the young teen stuff that's on the shelves these days. She is fine with mysteries, and has read just about every Famous Five and Secret Seven book going.

The result is that her reading seems to have come to a standstill, and instead of moving forwards, she's re-reading books she's read before. Not that's there's anything wrong with that as such, but it would be nice to see her have the option of progressing, because the reason she's doing it is that she doesn't like the look of most of the books on the teen shelves in our local bookshop.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

If she hasn't read them already (or only once or twice :p) I'd recommend Phillip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" books to everyone, regardless of age. Toes the line between scifi and fantasy in my opinion, dealing with scientific and religious themes.

Edited to add: there's no horror, and a little violence but not gratuitous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Sounds like she would also enjoy Phillip Pullman's Sally Lockhart series. They're mysteries set in Victorian London. The Ruby in the Smoke is the first book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

I went straight from Enid Blyton to Agatha Christie at about that age, in the days before YA. She might be happier with books written for adults.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I liked Jane Eyre and Jane Austen books at that age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

What better for a young girl than Lewis Carroll's 'Alice in Wonderland' and 'Alice through the looking glass' and Frank Baum's 'Wonderful Wizard of Oz'.

You wont go far wrong by getting her any of the classics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

The Three Investigators (similar to The Famous Five, but set in California)

The Chronicles of Narnia is a bit supernatural, but not very scary.

The Railway Children

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Donal55 wrote: »
    What better for a young girl than Lewis Carroll's 'Alice in Wonderland' and 'Alice through the looking glass' and Frank Baum's 'Wonderful Wizard of Oz'.

You wont go far wrong by getting her any of the classics.

Might send her to sleep though. We recently read both Alices. The first one's okay, but the second one was like an endurance test. Terrible.

I picked this one up for my child a few weeks ago (haven't started it yet), but it might be up her alley. Or she might be a little old for it.
    http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22098550-pax

And this one, which I read but my guy is too little for just yet:
    http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/30051803-caramel-hearts

Have you considered a trip to the library? Librarians are experts at matching people to books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

My niece turns 13 in June. At Christmas there I got her Leon Garfield's Smith and King of Shadows by Susan Cooper. Smith is a sort of Dickensian story about a street urchin who witnesses a murder. King of Shadows is about a young actor who is somehow transported back in time to play Puck in A Midsummer Night's Dream in Shakespeare's Globe Theatre. I read them both myself and found them enjoyable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

The Wind on Fire trilogy, I loved it at that age, it's by the guy who wrote the film "Gladiator" but isn't too graphic

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Update on my recommendation above.

Pax is scary, and violent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 114 ✭✭heathledgerlove

Jacqueline Wilson, I was obsessed with her at that age, they're really readable and funny and yet affecting, think she's written heaps more since I was a fan too!
    Lots of Irish writers. Siobhan Parkinson, esp the Moon King, Sisters No Way and 4Kids etc., Martina Conlon-McKenna and her Famine trilogy, but she has some more modern ones too, Siobhan Dowd was one of the best writers going, but 13 may be a little young for her themes. Basically anything O'Brien in that category, can't go wrong.
    Bit obvious, but has she read Harry Potter? Adrian Mole - the first one at least. Patrick Ness is big in the YA bracket at the moment and very good.
    Oh thought of another - Jerry Spinelli. He's AMAZING, and very renowned in the children's book sphere, Newberrys and that, great ones include Maniac Magee, and esp Stargirl and its sequel - very life-affirming and yet mysterious about characters who don't quite fit in and are a source of fascination for others.
    Judy Blume - classic. Again there are some more advanced themes - might give Forever a few years - but the Fudge series, Are You There God, Sally Feldman, Here's to You Rachel Robinson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

If she likes fantasy of any kind she'll fall in love with Tamora Pierce books.
    Marita Conlon McKenna and Ann Carroll have great Irish young adult books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Seconding all the His Dark Materials recommendations.

Would also recommend the Eragon trilogy. I'm assuming she's read Harry Potter.

Is the aversion to anything scary or violent out of fear or just lack of interest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Not sure if they appeal to girls but the Adrian Mole Diaries are hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

My wife is a teacher. She read Wonder by R J Palacio with her 6th class last year (so around 12 year olds) and they all loved it, so it might be worth a try.

There is a movie version of it coming out soon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wonder-R-J-Palacio/dp/0552565970

Advertisement