Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion element replacement / regulations

Options
  • 20-02-2017 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    If a domestic immersion element and/or hr cable is replaced, of course it is best-practice to ensure the circuit supplying is correctly protected and as a further step functioning correctly.
    However, is it a regulatory requirement?
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Andrea B. wrote: »
    Hi,
    If a domestic immersion element and/or hr cable is replaced, of course it is best-practice to ensure the circuit supplying is correctly protected and as a further step functioning correctly.
    Thanks

This work may only be carried out by a competent person.

Some would say that a competent person would ensure that all reasonable steps are taken to ensure that a heating element can be safely energized before applying mains voltage to it. Anyone of this view accepts that in essence it is a regulatory requirement. Wouldn't you agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Hi,
    Thanks
    If a new cable is installed then it must be protected by current up to date regulations

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

2011 wrote: »
    This work may only be carried out by a competent person.

Some would say that a competent person would ensure that all reasonable steps are taken to ensure that a heating element can be safely energized before applying mains voltage to it. Anyone of this view accepts that in essence it is a regulatory requirement. Wouldn't you agree?

Thanks for replying but it doesn't answer the question for me. Accepting a view does not make something regulatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

meercat wrote: »
    If a new cable is installed then it must be protected by current up to date regulations

Thanks. I assume that includes the flexible hr cable ?
    Also do you know if element/stat only requires testing of the complete circuit?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Accepting a view does not make something regulatory.

True.
    Since the beginning of time the regulations require circuits to be properly protected. Perhaps there is a loophole that allows someone at a future date to replace sections of a circuit without due diligence, I don't know. Either way a 5 minute check would probably be sufficient to check the current carrying capacity and the protective devices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Also do you know if element/stat only requires testing of the complete circuit?

I'm unsure what you mean here however there are no circumstances where I would replace an element or thermostat if the equipment/circuit were not adequately protected.if equipment/appliances are repaired and back in commission then the onus is on the rec to make sure they now operate safely.

Advertisement