Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo constituency GE2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

seligehgit wrote: »
    I honestly think that boat has sailed.

Mayo is no where as conservative as it was historically.

IMO economic,environmental and the bread and butter issues of health,education and justice will be foremost on the electorate's mind.Social issues much less so.

The voting scandal hasn't done her any favours.

I look forward to reading the manifestos.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,473 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

seligehgit wrote: »
    I honestly think that boat has sailed.

Mayo is no where as conservative as it was historically.

IMO economic,environmental and the bread and butter issues of health,education and justice will be foremost on the electorate's mind.Social issues much less so.

Indeed, and if these 'conservative' voters can put up with Chambers's forthright views on abortion, it's hard to see them balking at her personal life. And who else are they going to vote for anyway, with Renua out of the running?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

Green&Red wrote: »
    I wonder will Chambers life choices come against her? I’d imagine a lot of the hardline FF (and FG) voters have a fairly staunch view on the family and protecting it. Likewise her partner at the next local election

What's this about? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Up to yourself what you're interested in, but I don't really see what relevance any personal views TDs may have expressed on the issue are. Calleary voted in favour of holding the repeal referendum and ultimately in favour of the subsequent legislation so in the sense that matters for a TD, he's just as pro-choice as Chambers. IIRC Ring, Mulherin and O'Mahony all expressed unease about the X Case legislation but all ended up toeing the party line so from the 'pro-life' perspective, their 'views' didn't amount to a whole lot...

Of course its relevant. There is little or no ideological difference between the two main parties so their attitudes on social issues are important to me. Actually since ive posted ive seen a photo of pro life FF td's during the campaign and Callleary is in it its clear where he stands. He was never going to vote against the actual legislation given the huge vote in favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

robman60 wrote: »

Gossip about people's personal relationships, which have nothing to do with politics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

robman60 wrote: »

Don't post this again

just to be clear didn't post the above sentence the mod deleted my post and put it there. apologies if i overstepped the mark it wasn't my intention to say anything untoward.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Mod Note: Ok, so lets tidy this up as we still have a long way to go in this.

Any personal attacks on posters or election candidates will result in a ban.
    Discussion is required on many of the points here, if your offended by a post report it.

Anyone coming on here trolling for the sake of it will be banned out of here permanently.

We all want discussion, so keep it that way pls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

irishgeo wrote: »
    Because the multinationals who employ half of mayo have complained no end about it.

Allergan have to put extra packaging on products made in Westport because the n5 is so ****.

I don't see the point in upgrading the road between Castlebar and Westport until the godawful N5 through Roscommon is upgraded first. Does not make sense.

And making it a dual carriageway is way OTT for now.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    I don't see the point in upgrading the road between Castlebar and Westport until the godawful N5 through Roscommon is upgraded first. Does not make sense.
    With respect, that's a very Dublin-centric perspective; it assumes that everyone driving from Westport to Castlebar is continuing to Dublin, and that everyone driving from Castlebar to Westport came from Dublin.
    Because it would be more cost effective to make it a single carriageway and then upgrade it to a dual carriageway later?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

And making it a dual carriageway is way OTT for now

I saw Saoirse McHugh making the same point, that the existing road should have been upgraded, takes no account for the feasibility study

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

The Castlebar to Westport road carries significantly more traffic than the n5 through Roscommon. In any case, there are plans to upgrade the n5 through Roscommon as well.

Also, it's type 2 dual carriageway similar to the Tuam bypass. The width of tarmac will only be slightly wider than the Charlestown bypass.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Full thread on this already. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057438790&page=15
    That road has gone to CPO and planning, so it is been done. The N5 from Westport to Turlough has been on the go for guts of 30 years.

Single carriageway with passing lanes at points would have been fully enough and wide hard shoulder IF the need arose, like in the UK.

As someone who lives on that road as a driver and cyclist it carries a lot of traffic, its dangerous and due to the population occupancy along the actual road including a railway like could be hard to widen.

From the stats I have seen on that other forum, its more than the main road from Castlebar to Galway on a daily basis.
    Have Allergen influence on this?

I saw the journal.ie had some weird article/survey there a few weeks on this.
    I see Saiorse is now very much beating the drum, which I didn't hear her beat there during the European elections.

Regardless, its going ahead. We give out long enough that we dont get the funding the East coast gets, now we have it lets just put it in place. Its overspend we know, but we are hardly surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

oscarBravo wrote: »
    With respect, that's a very Dublin-centric perspective; it assumes that everyone driving from Westport to Castlebar is continuing to Dublin, and that everyone driving from Castlebar to Westport came from Dublin. Because it would be more cost effective to make it a single carriageway and then upgrade it to a dual carriageway later?

As Dublin centric as it sounds, industry needs good road networks to move logistics. I think an upgraded single carriageway with a caveat that once further industry is attracted to the area (please god) bring it up to dual carraigeway standard. Some of the €241m funding should be used to upgrade the shambolic N5 in Roscommon.

That would be a much better use of funds and be better in the medium to long term at attracting companies and employment to the area. The population is not in Mayo atm to warrant a dual carriageway.

After all Allergen and Hollister are moving their products through the main port in the country which is Dublin.

Having an isolated dual carraigeway between Castlebar and Westport does not make sense to me and I think it pure electioneering.

As Dublin centric as it sounds, industry needs good road networks to move logistics. I think an upgraded single carriageway with a caveat that once further industry is attracted to the area (please god) bring it up to dual carraigeway standard. Some of the €241m funding should be used to upgrade the shambolic N5 in Roscommon.

That would be a much better use of funds and be better in the medium to long term at attracting companies and employment to the area. The population is not in Mayo atm to warrant a dual carriageway.

After all Allergen and Hollister are moving their products through the main port in the country which is Dublin.

Having an isolated dual carraigeway between Castlebar and Westport does not make sense to me and I think it pure electioneering.

No harm but this post makes it obvious that you don't have a notion about how these decisions are reached, the cost and the timescales involved.

The costs involved in getting a project like this to the start line is huge, probably 20% of the cost of the build itself. You want to do that twice?
    You expect industry to commit to an area on the promise that a road will be built? And what happens to them when the government changes?
    You build the road and that helps attract the investment, not the other way around

As a point of information
    Allergan can move over €10 million of botox vials on one lorry

May 2014 the road was approved.
    Good doc here on type 2 dual - https://www.tiipublications.ie/library/DN-GEO-03059-01.pdf
    Cost 10% more to upgrade from type 3 (2 lanes one way and 1 lane the other).
    Also it looks like there are major safety benefits.

Maybe there is logical reason to it. Its probably the major jump in costs which has everyone peed off.

Think there are more pressing issues in the election for Mayo though?

Jobs, health etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭spakman

There is already a separate project to build a new N5 from Scramogue (Longford side of Strokestown) to Ballaghadereen, which is well advanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ethical

Whats it with all the LEO posters on the Swinford By pass and on the N17,is it a "no mans" land as regards division of constituency or do they feel that Leo looks better than Michelle,Alan and Michael!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

I see ming and the Greens out canvassing didn't ming stand with the fellas over the boys and the greens want wildlife in the bogs.
    She also had a go at ring about the road and her living in the arse in of no where in achill where the roads a cat bad.
    If she keeps this up she will be well back even further than dillion

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Lot's of Leo posters in the villages between Castlebar and Ballinrobe too.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ethical

If Saoirse ran as an Independent she could have been elected and would possibly do more for her County if she teamed up with Fitzmaurice and other Independents.Unfortunately she hasnt a hope in hell now of getting elected to Eamons Tax Party!

• Advertisement

ethical wrote: »
    If Saoirse ran as an Independent she could have been elected and would possibly do more for her County if she teamed up with Fitzmaurice and other Independents.Unfortunately she hasnt a hope in hell now of getting elected to Eamons Tax Party!

Well just maybe she's lookng at the bigger picture and wanting to be part of
    a movemenet to promote real positive change and not just get her snout in the trough and get a few goodies for the natives. Fair play to her too. Though i do agree she woould be much more electable as an Independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

Well just maybe she's lookng at the bigger picture and wanting to be part of
    a movemenet to promote real positive change and not just get her snout in the trough and get a few goodies for the natives. Fair play to her too. Though i do agree she woould be much more electable as an Independent.

Do you actually think the greens are good for the county look what they did before

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

naughto wrote: »
    Do you actually think the greens are good for the county look what they did before

pushed everyone to buy diesel and look how that turned out. The greens have no interest in rural ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

irishgeo wrote: »
    pushed everyone to buy diesel and look how that turned out. The greens have no interest in rural ireland.

That's science, a process of trial and error. It makes no claim to infallibility. Climate change denial on the other hand claims flat out to know all the answers, not surprising since some of its prime advocates such as the yob in Washington are cynically allied to people who say all the answers are to be found in the stone age equivalent of Encyclopedia Britannica, written thousands of years ago before the word science existed in any language, and to be taken literally.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

Our Green Party candidate is atrocious tonight. Am looking for alternative candidates to vote for but she makes it very difficult to give her a stroke.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

Anyone who votes for the Green Party in a rural constituency needs their heads examined.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

whitey1 wrote: »
    Anyone who votes for the Green Party in a rural constituency needs their heads examined.

Aye, especially in rural Australia. :rolleyes:

I wont be voting green because they'd be a disaster for farmers but to suggest they were to blame the last time is outrageous, they were scapegoated alright but FF were to blame and we're about to re-elect Martin, O'Dea and O'Cuiv and put them back into government

• Registered Users Posts: 16,473 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

ethical wrote: »

She seems to be on the 'fundie' rather than the 'realo' wing of the Greens though, saying she didn't want the party going into government with either FF or FG. Ryan might secretly breathe a sigh of relief if she doesn't make it to the Dail:p

• Advertisement

What 'they' did?? Had two ministers in a govt that lasted three and a half years yet they seem to get most of the blame for the crash/bailout etc :pac:

And yes actually i do think a green agenda will be good for the country in the longer term

Advertisement