Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo constituency GE2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Yikes Saoirse Mc Hugh is a bit wishy washy as a green candidate.

She is against a carbon tax which is core item on the Green agenda,ditto very vague re a reduction in the national herd.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

She knows she has no hope rural mayo if she calls for carbon tax, ban on turf and no new roads so her hands are tied really.
    Either that or she is just using the greens for a bit of national profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

seligehgit wrote: »

She is against a carbon tax which is core item on the Green agenda,ditto very vague re a reduction in the national herd.

She is deliberately distancing herself from Eamonn's very Dublin based policies. he has been killing the chances of the Rural green Candidates with his one size fits all soundbites. I think she is being canny here.

She is deliberately distancing herself from Eamonn's very Dublin based policies. he has been killing the chances of the Rural green Candidates with his one size fits all soundbites. I think she is being canny here.

Definitely placing a distance between herself and the Dublin centric green policies.

From a relatively limited knowledge of her since her introduction to the public arena pre the European elections I'd have a positive impression.

I'd agree she is being canny but others might accuse her of failing to stay loyal to core Green party principles.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,473 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Distancing herself out of the party completely? IMO she's trying to appease people who would be very unlikely to vote for her anyway. I think her best hope would have been to try to mobilise progressive younger voters and forget about the farmers. The way she's gone she will probably end up pleasing nobody...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

Maybe if they followed through on letting the wolves loose, it would automatically reduce the national herd

recyclebin wrote: »
    As far I know Mayo GAA don't own the land where MacHale Park is but I guess they have a lease on it so you can't turn up there without their permission. It would be trespassing otherwise.

I think Castlebar Mitchels may own the land.

The only time I could see it becoming an issue was if he was a current county player or manager. What exactly could they do to him now that he’s retired?

That being said, the GAA Nationally could fine or sanction the Mayo Board for letting him use the stadium and bringing the association into disrepute. Of course the County Board would deny it, and say that he used it without permission

Quelle surprise.

The EU Commission has classified the west and north west of Ireland as a region in transition for the next round of cohesion funding from 2020 to 2027.

https://www.con-telegraph.ie/news/roundup/articles/2020/01/28/4184933-west-classified-as-regio/

whitey1 wrote: »
    The only time I could see it becoming an issue was if he was a current county player or manager. What exactly could they do to him now that he’s retired?

Maybe they could do like they do in soccer, ban him from "all GAA-related activities." Always wondered how they enforced that; if the guy was kicking a ball with his kid in the back garden, would a FIFA official swoop in and take it off him.:P

Anyway whatever Dillon is doing seems to be working, now clear bookies' favourite for the fourth seat.

Maybe they could do like they do in soccer, ban him from "all GAA-related activities." Always wondered how they enforced that; if the guy was kicking a ball with his kid in the back garden, would a FIFA official swoop in and take it off him.:P

Anyway whatever Dillon is doing seems to be working, now clear bookies' favourite for the fourth seat.

Like the time they “banned” Mick Barrett for invading the pitch below in Limerick......he actually admitted to donning a disguise and never missed a game for the entire year he was “banned”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishmirror.ie/sport/gaa/gaelic-football/gaelic-football-news/mayo-fan-banned-storming-pitch-17382743.amp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

whitey1 wrote: »
    Like the time they “banned” Mick Barrett for invading the pitch below in Limerick......he actually admitted to donning a disguise and never missed a game for the entire year he was “banned”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishmirror.ie/sport/gaa/gaelic-football/gaelic-football-news/mayo-fan-banned-storming-pitch-17382743.amp

As if a castlebar steward would know him from Adam regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭PressRun

Saoirse McHugh should go Independent.

PressRun wrote: »
    Saoirse McHugh should go Independent.

Wouldn't be surprised if that decision was taken out of her hands. Could see Eamon Ryan ringing her up for a little chat about the importance of teamwork in senior hurling one of the days...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Really? Cant see how, what happened?

John Donnellan got elected supposedly because they played up his time on Galway team of 60s.
    I think they even whipped out the old jersey.
    Good old "bon appetite" Mark Killilea complained a lot about it.
    Gagagogo wrote: »
    5.1 Uses of Property
    (a) All property including Grounds, Club Houses, Halls,
    Dressing Rooms and Handball Alleys owned or
    controlled by units of the Association (“Association
    Property”) shall be used only for the purpose of
    or in connection with the playing of the Games
    controlled by the Association, and for such other
    purposes, which accord with the Aims of the
    Association, that may be sanctioned from time to
    time by Central Council.
    (b) Central Council has the power, in exceptional
    circumstances, to authorise the use of Association
    Property held by a County Committee, Provincial
    Council or Central Council for activities other than
    those controlled by the Association in accordance
    with policy adopted by Central Council.
    (c) Central Council has the power to authorise the use
    of Association Property which is located outside of
    Ireland for games other than those controlled by the
    Association.
    Penalty:
    In the event of any Club, County Committee, or Provincial
    Council acting contrary to this Rule, that body shall be
    subject to suspension or fine, as deemed appropriate.

I know two grounds in Wicklow that have been used for numerous TV ad campaigns, but it is not blatantly obvious except probably the one that is for LGFA.
    Not political, but commercial.

It would be political suicide to tow the complete party line.

Imagine going up to someone in Charlestown and tell them their son's daily commute to work in Galway is going to cost more due to new carbon tax.

Or going up to some farmer, who has just put in new shed and parlour because they have upped their herd, to tell them you are campaigning to penalise anyone who has increased herd over last number of years.

Or God forbid if she was to follow the numpty leader and go up to a farmer in Lahardane and tell them she thought Nephin would make an excellent national park for wolves.

She would be chased out of the county never mind not get elected.

I am not allowed discuss …

jmayo wrote: »
    John Donnellan got elected supposedly because they played up his time on Galway team of 60s.
    I think they even whipped out the old jersey.
    Good old "bon appetite" Mark Killilea complained a lot about it.

I know two grounds in Wicklow that have been used for numerous TV ad campaigns, but it is not blatantly obvious except probably the one that is for LGFA.
    Not political, but commercial.

It would be political suicide to tow the complete party line.

Imagine going up to someone in Charlestown and tell them their son's daily commute to work in Galway is going to cost more due to new carbon tax.

Or going up to some farmer, who has just put in new shed and parlour because they have upped their herd, to tell them you are campaigning to penalise anyone who has increased herd over last number of years.

Or God forbid if she was to follow the numpty leader and go up to a farmer in Lahardane and tell them she thought Nephin would make an excellent national park for wolves.

Or telling the people of Westport you want to scrap their fancy new road to Castlebar...

Or telling the people of Westport you want to scrap their fancy new road to Castlebar...

Or the people of Castlebar.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Gagagogo

Midwest Radio debate today had Alan Dillon, Rose Conway-Walsh, Joe Daly and Sean Forkan on.

Can listen back here (13:00-14:00):
    https://www.midwestradio.ie/index.php/listen-back

Big move in the PP market for the constituency: Rose Conway-Walsh in to fifth favourite, Mulherin out to 2/1. I suppose if SF really are surging nationwide the way the polls indicate, Mayo would have to be a possible gain for them. Still think FG will take the final seat though, and wouldn't write off Mulherin...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

Big move in the PP market for the constituency: Rose Conway-Walsh in to fifth favourite, Mulherin out to 2/1. I suppose if SF really are surging nationwide the way the polls indicate, Mayo would have to be a possible gain for them. Still think FG will take the final seat though, and wouldn't write off Mulherin...

I saw that this morning. I think she has the potential to be the dark horse. I'd never go near SF myself but I'm mid-20s and I've seen people from my schooldays who I thought wouldn't have a political bone in their bodies sharing SF stuff.

I think the real issue is people naturally want to change government after a decade of FG but people (probably rightly) don't see FF as any change at all. Plus any smaller lefty party is already seen as damaged goods having been in coalition. While SF don't have the answers in my view, they're the only viable option that hasn't had the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

Have any of ye got the trees from the taxi man

• Advertisement

Wouldn't vote for Mulherin in a fit. An absolute eejit of the highest order.

PressRun wrote: »
    Wouldn't vote for Mulherin in a fit. An absolute eejit of the highest order.

No vote from my direction either.

Ditto any Sinn Fein candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

I will vote for Saoirse and Rose. Not sure who gets one or two. But either way it's better than what we have got. let's hope for change.

https://www.irishtimes.com/election2020/election-2020-as-a-minority-in-a-country-you-need-to-participate-1.4159313
    Irish Times colour piece on Uddin and another 'new Irish' candidate. Apparently he's handing out birch saplings instead of leaflets, which is one way of outflanking Saoirse McHugh I suppose...

I will vote for Saoirse and Rose. Not sure who gets one or two. But either way it's better than what we have got. let's hope for change.

Rose Conway Walsh does great work with families of children with disabilities and learning difficulties.

I see Michael Ring didn't show up at the McBride home protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Anybody know what size bet is needed to move that market?

nuac wrote: »
    Anybody know what size bet is needed to move that market?

Not a notion but I can't imagine it would require that large an amount.

As I can't imagine there's a lot of money being placed on same outside those political anoraks and those that dabble in the odd flutter??

I'm very much open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Paddy power offering 1 to 20 on Michael Ring getting a seat.
    If ever there was a sure bet.
    Make 100 euro on 2000 over a few days.

RCW now odds on to take a seat, McHugh moved right out. I suspect the odds will settle round where they are now

• Advertisement

RCW now odds on to take a seat, McHugh moved right out. I suspect the odds will settle round where they are now

Six one news's outside broadcast came from Westport.

Very good coverage of Mayo in general and the issues facing rural Ireland.

Pretty much every election candidate got to put his/her tuppence in.

Lisa Chambers,Michelle Mulherin and Saoirse Mc Hugh were interviewed.

I can't fault Saoirse.She's an extremely bright individual with the best of intentions.I greatly admire her idealism but yet her speak is largely aspirational with few concrete proposals.

Not enough to get one elected one suspects.

I have a sneaking suspicion there's going to be a political shock of seismic proportions with Rose Conway Walsh elected based on the Sinn Fein surge nationally.

Advertisement