Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo constituency GE2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I had thought Lisa Chambers would be a highly competent member of Government but the fiasco over voting irregularities was a total disaster for her and I'm not surprised she lost her seat.

I don't think she handled the aftermath of it particularly well either.

Also, doing the whole anti-Brexit think didn't go down well because Brexit is happening and it always looked like it would happen. Instead of saying how bad it is, it would have been better to say how you're going to deal with it once it happens. That she did not do.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I wonder if Lisa Chambers had got in would she have laid down a marker against a deal with SF, perhaps pledging not to serve in such a government? She always seemed to be very keen to endorse and echo her leader's anti-SF rhetoric, presumably taking him at his word...

I wonder if Lisa Chambers had got in would she have laid down a marker against a deal with SF, perhaps pledging not to serve in such a government? She always seemed to be very keen to endorse and echo her leader's anti-SF rhetoric, presumably taking him at his word...

If we are to have a government at all red lines will have to be crossed.

I think a coalition between FF/FG is more unimaginable than one between SF and any other. As crazy as both options sounds.

I can't see how FF and FG could function as independent parties in the further if they went into coalition with each other. It would destroy them both. I can't believe the media are proposing it as an option.

I'm guessing a SF/FF coalition. A short lived messy one.

AllForIt wrote: »
    If we are to have a government at all red lines will have to be crossed.

I think a coalition between FF/FG is more unimaginable than one between SF and any other. As crazy as both options sounds.

I can't see how FF and FG could function as independent parties in the further if they went into coalition with each other. It would destroy them both. I can't believe the media are proposing it as an option.

I'm guessing a SF/FF coalition. A short lived messy one.

I'm convinced going in with SF will do far more damage to FF in the medium to long term. There will clearly be a massive credibility gap around anything they say, if they go back on their word over something so fundamental.
    But even beyond that, what pitch are they going to be making at the next election? Who will they be asking to vote for them? SF supporters don't want them as a partner and won't transfer to them in any numbers. Middle-class anti-SF types will move over en masse to FG. Likely the system will be polarised between FG and SF and FF will perish through irrelevance...

I'm convinced going in with SF will do far more damage to FF in the medium to long term. There will clearly be a massive credibility gap around anything they say, if they go back on their word over something so fundamental.
    But even beyond that, what pitch are they going to be making at the next election? Who will they be asking to vote for them? SF supporters don't want them as a partner and won't transfer to them in any numbers. Middle-class anti-SF types will move over en masse to FG. Likely the system will be polarised between FG and SF and FF will perish through irrelevance...

News coming in is that FF have most TD's on final count after all. By 1.

So who know's what will happen now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭essgee268

there is also the issue of travelling expense's claiming a higher band that she was entitled to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭spakman

essgee268 wrote: »
    there is also the issue of travelling expense's claiming a higher band that she was entitled to

Fact or rumour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

spakman wrote: »
    Fact or rumour?

25km extra she claimed for not a lot to be honest but still did it.
    The using the young lads suicide for her own gain the bed hopping seat hopping bretix craic pro abortion that no one gave a f1ck about at the polls.

Very poor campaign ran aswell way to over confident and got very poor response at the door stops is what I hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭BandMember

PARlance wrote: »
    Chambers stood in the Dail and said that abortion regret is a "makey-uppy thing that doesn't exist". Not the most progressive of speeches.

She also lost a lot of respect and votes around Castlebar, particularly among younger voters I would imagine, when she used the loss of a young lads life to grandstand. That was the feeling anyway. I'm not sure on the exact details but the family were not happy to have their son being the subject of a Dail speech.

This. Plus a lot more.

It's amazing how much of the bigger picture people miss because they are easily impressed by a couple of seconds of a soundbyte on the news....

Not just talking about Chambers here either - loads of politicians are great at talking and giving the media what they want but are absolutely clueless and useless when it comes to doing their actual job.
    PressRun wrote: »
    Dara Calleary is another I would have little time for.

On Lisa Chambers, bizarrely, I heard some people saying they wouldn't give her a vote because of her personal situation. Couldn't believe my ears.

No idea what her personal situation is, so can safely say that did not/does not play any part in my criticism of her as a TD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭godskitchen

PressRun wrote: »

On Lisa Chambers, bizarrely, I heard some people saying they wouldn't give her a vote because of her personal situation. Couldn't believe my ears.

I heard the same. The reasoning given to me by to the people saying the above was it "showed a lack of judgement".

The was the story was related to me, by 2 different unconnected people from opposite ends of the county, it didn't show her in a great light. I wouldn't have voted for her either way but I know certain people who would have been swayed away from her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

I’d love to see that level of scrutiny, some of it sleezy innuendo which the mods rightly clamped down or else over the top criticism IMO - be imposed on someone like Michael Ring who was one of John Delaney’s biggest supporters.

The fact of the matter is that seat is being passed from woman to woman in mayo (mulherrin to chambers to rose conway). I can’t think think of a single woman who had built a long career in politics in the west of Ireland like an Enda Kenny, Eamonn O’ Cuiv, Willie O’ Dea, Bobby Molloy whoever. Leave party politics to one side you’ll never build a career as a female politician in this part of the country.

Regardless as to where RCW finished this time Calleary and Ring were waved in because they are seen as the serious, stable candidates and women and mayo footballers will rotate in and out of the other two seats in the future. RCW will he hammered soon enough and then Chambers will come back and it will be McHugh’s turn after that and the cycle will continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Raisins wrote: »
    I’d love to see that level of scrutiny, some of it sleezy innuendo which the mods rightly clamped down or else over the top criticism IMO - be imposed on someone like Michael Ring who was one of John Delaney’s biggest supporters.

The fact of the matter is that seat is being passed from woman to woman in mayo (mulherrin to chambers to rose conway). I can’t think think of a single woman who had built a long career in politics in the west of Ireland like an Enda Kenny, Eamonn O’ Cuiv, Willie O’ Dea, Bobby Molloy whoever. Leave party politics to one side you’ll never build a career as a female politician in this part of the country.

Regardless as to where RCW finished this time Calleary and Ring were waved in because they are seen as the serious, stable candidates and women and mayo footballers will rotate in and out of the other two seats in the future. RCW will he hammered soon enough and then Chambers will come back and it will be McHugh’s turn after that and the cycle will continue.

I do not disagree with any of that and it wasn't me judging LC, it was what I had heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭PressRun

The stuff was I was hearing was irrelevant to her capabilities as a politician and frankly just curtain twitching gossip. Like her or loathe her, but judge her on her political record, not her personal life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,409 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

The rest of your post seems to go off on a tangent but this bit, Ring was minister for sport and so had to deal with JD as part of his job. At the time there were no calls for Delaney to be ousted. To suggest Ring was one of Delaney's biggest supporters is a lie and takes away from whatever other point you were trying to make

On LC, Neale Richmond of FG was on Prime Time last night and name checked Lisa Chambers as being very good during Brexit, I would take recommendation before some rumours about her behavior in a newsagent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

imho Lisa Chambers did a very thorough job on Brexit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This is not the place to have a go at politicians
    That place is your Facebook page

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

folks please keep the gossip pages off here. Regardless of who did it didn't get in there is zero need it want for what has been posted in the last few pages.
    Please cut it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

Green&Red wrote: »
    The rest of your post seems to go off on a tangent but this bit, Ring was minister for sport and so had to deal with JD as part of his job. At the time there were no calls for Delaney to be ousted. To suggest Ring was one of Delaney's biggest supporters is a lie and takes away from whatever other point you were trying to make

Daniel McDonnell said it as Ring was being carried into the count. Very few journalists in the country know more about John Delaney than him.

https://mobile.twitter.com/McDonnellDan/status/1226594015514169351

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭essgee268

Good Manners cost nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,293 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Daniel McDonnell said it as Ring was being carried into the count. Very few journalists in the country know more about John Delaney than him.

Dan is looking for a few retweets!

Ring would pal up to Putin if he could get a basketball hall in Bohola out of it. I am being flippant but considering the fact that we live in an area that has been widely acknowledged as being in decline and not getting sufficient investment, Ring can keep fighting away for any investment he can for us imo.

Such a link to Delaney is disingenuous to Ring. I don't think there have been many blights on Rings record over a very long time in politics. Linking him as some sort of friend of Delaney (corruption etc.) is ott, and as preiously mentioned, probably just Daniel looking for some attention.

• Advertisement

A fairly low and unsubstantiated blow from McDonnell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Looks like Mulherin has got a bullet from FG. Irish Times reporting that she didn't receive a nomination for the seanad.

Is this her political death nell?

Hard to see her coming back from this.....

Think there may be some virtual clinks of champagne glasses on this thread.....

finisklin wrote: »
    Looks like Mulherin has got a bullet from FG. Irish Times reporting that she didn't receive a nomination for the seanad.

Is this her political death nell?

Hard to see her coming back from this.....

Think there may be some virtual clinks of champagne glasses on this thread.....

And possibly a few actual ones in FG HQ?:p

Might Lisa C be taking over the 'Mayo Senate slot'?

And possibly a few actual ones in FG HQ?:p

Might Lisa C be taking over the 'Mayo Senate slot'?

Which she has duly done, Saoirse McHugh just missing out

Apparently Patsy O'Brien is no longer a FG councillor

Green&Red wrote: »
    Apparently Patsy O'Brien is no longer a FG councillor

Surprising. Great councillor, polls very well. Did not see anything in local papers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭irishgeo

So Dara has got Mr Ring old post of minister for fun be interesting to see how much money comes into mayo now.

I doubt Dara found much fun dealing with the Greens.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Is the way now open for Dara to be appointed Minister for Agriculture?

• Advertisement

seligehgit wrote: »
    Is the way now open for Dara to be appointed Minister for Agriculture?

He seems to be the favourite alright. Not sure agriculture would be his natural terrain but they can't really do a wider reshuffle at this stage...

Advertisement