Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo constituency GE2020

Options
1192021222325»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,472 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1296537438874226688

Have they? I'm not aware of any. Pippa Hackett was appointed chief whip by Eamon Ryan, but that's essentially a junior ministry. Who are you referring to?

Not any time lately. I believe there's been four over the years, the most recent being James Dooge, who was appointed minister for foreign affairs by Garret Fitzgerald in the 1980s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Not any time lately. I believe there's been four over the years, the most recent being James Dooge, who was appointed minister for foreign affairs by Garret Fitzgerald in the 1980s.

They'd want to be very stuck then lol.

They'd want to be very stuck then lol.

Well MM does seem to be stuck for female talent, but I guess he's made his choice with Norma Foley, however out of her depth she appears to be, and there's probably no particular onus on him to appoint a second woman minister.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Hard to see him working his way out of this one. No sympathy for him either, an utterly brainless thing to do.

North Mayo waits for decades for a senior minister and within weeks of him getting in he goes and does this. He has let his constituents up there down badly, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Hard to see him working his way out of this one. No sympathy for him either, an utterly brainless thing to do.

North Mayo waits for decades for a senior minister and within weeks of him getting in he goes and does this. He has let his constituents up there down badly, to be honest.

Ya as a constituent of his, i cannot believe the stupidity of this move. There really is no excuse.
    Apologising after the event makes it even worse

• Advertisement

mickdw wrote: »
    Ya as a constituent of his, i cannot believe the stupidity of this move. There really is no excuse.
    Apologising after the event makes it even worse

Michael Ring will be absolutely buzzing to see his demise. FF as a party in Mayo are goosed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Michael Ring will be absolutely buzzing to see his demise. FF as a party in Mayo are goosed.

Ring in fairness to him does seem to keep his nose clean and has been around along time.
    I dont think he would allow himself to get caught out like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

He has but I cant see mm wanting to change again after the Cowen saga to much change and with the numbers getting high every other day I think this will take the spotlight of darragh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

naughto wrote: »
    He has but I cant see mm wanting to change again after the Cowen saga to much change and with the numbers getting high every other day I think this will take the spotlight of darragh

The Scottish minister resigned after breaking lockdown.

Always thought Dara wasn't much of a politician but this blunder really takes the biscuit. An idiotic thing to do. The restrictions were being announced and Dara was on his way in his car to a shindig.

The hotel shouldn't escape either. Oh we checked with the IHF. Breaking lockdown rules I wonder will the superintendent be lodging a complaint at the next licencing court.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

He's resigned.

No surprise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

seligehgit wrote: »
    He's resigned.

No surprise.

Where are you seeing that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Yes, confirmed as gone. How he couldn't see the issue going to that event would cause is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Yes, confirmed as gone. How he couldn't see the issue going to that event would cause is beyond me.

Poor judgement. Not something you want in a minister.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

It's beyond belief that he would have considered attending. Especially with all the advisors they have been assigned of late. You would think one of them would look at the optics of this.

What the Oireachtas members thought they were doing by organising an event to honour a former minister in the current climate is astounding.
    Calleary has well and truly screwed Mayo with this. He may never recover from this such is the outrage.

UsBus wrote: »
    It's beyond belief that he would have considered attending. Especially with all the advisors they have been assigned of late. You would think one of them would look at the optics of this.

What the Oireachtas members thought they were doing by organising an event to honour a former minister in the current climate is astounding.
    Calleary has well and truly screwed Mayo with this. He may never recover from this such is the outrage.

Both himself and Lisa are deep within the gulag. FF are finished as a party in Mayo. Hopefully Gerry Murray runs in the next general election and we get 2 FG and 2 SF TDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

A lot of texts and discussion on Midwest this morning backing Dara Calleary and how sorry they feel for him.........The one caller that was outraged with what happened was quickly cut off the air.. Not very impartial on it, the fact Mayo are losing a Minister is clouding opinion of what was a very poor decision

UsBus wrote: »

I can only think they were assuming word of it would never get out, which gives some idea about how complacent the media is generally about this sort of establishment carry-on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Could this not galvanise his support a la Michael Lowry and ensure he get's elected next time?

Irish voters are not known for our herd mentality. It could be 2 fingers to the rest of the country for forcing him to resign.

Plus Micheal may have had a gun to his head.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,193 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

finisklin wrote: »
    Could this not galvanise his support a la Michael Lowry and ensure he get's elected next time?

Irish voters are not known for our herd mentality. It could be 2 fingers to the rest of the country for forcing him to resign.

Not sure if Lisa et al wouldn't let that. She'll be ready to pounce on the votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

PARlance wrote: »
    Not sure if Lisa et al wouldn't let that. She'll be ready to pounce on the votes.

Especially given Callearys rumoured "canvassing tactics" in the last election

• Advertisement

The only two fingers given in this situation were to the people of Mayo/the general public by Calleary and his elitist peers. Why would anyone support him after he threw away his ministerial position (the only senior ministry west of the Shannon) after only 30 days in the job? What a slap in the face.

MM was right to snub him for the role initially, although nobody could have predicted that he'd crash and burn this quickly.

Paddy Burke also at the shindig, has had the Seanad whip removed by Leo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

statto25 wrote: »
    Especially given Callearys rumoured "canvassing tactics" in the last election

what were these rumoured tactics?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

etxp wrote: »
    what were these rumoured tactics?

I aint getting into that on here as the mods would clatter me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

It was separate rooms, one with 56 and the other was 30 or something.

Plus it included FGers and Labour as well.

I think he will wiggle out of it.

Plus hotel has covered itself by referring back to irish hotel federation.

It will blow over.

Great call :D

And as for a few politically irrelevant (hogan excluded but hes no longer involved in Irish politics) Fg and Lab people present so what? Are you really trying to make a cheap party political point?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

I live in Ballina and during election time Calleary adds his name to any positive project in Mayo, no matter how tenuous his involvement. The reality is that he actually does very little.

The fact that he cake walked into his father's seat from day one may indicate that he felt infallible in the eyes of the Mayo people.

I firmly believe that Chambers lost her seat because of the vote-gate and a sense of betrayal that a young, up and coming TD was continuing the habits of the old guard.

Assuming he stands, Calleary will most likely keep his seat at the next election - he won't get in as easily as he did last time though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I live in Ballina and during election time Calleary adds his name to any positive project in Mayo, no matter how tenuous his involvement. The reality is that he actually does very little.

The fact that he cake walked into his father's seat from day one may indicate that he felt infallible in the eyes of the Mayo people.

I firmly believe that Chambers lost her seat because of the vote-gate and a sense of betrayal that a young, up and coming TD was continuing the habits of the old guard.

Assuming he stands, Calleary will most likely keep his seat at the next election - he won't get in as easily as he did last time though

In fairness most politicians do. Im not a FF supporter but was disappointed Chambers lost out and gave her a high preference, shes miles ahead of Calleary. Hopefully she might now become the FF standard bearer in Mayo

In fairness most politicians do. Im not a FF supporter but was disappointed Chambers lost out and gave her a high preference, shes miles ahead of Calleary. Hopefully she might now become the FF standard bearer in Mayo

How can she redeem herself, though? 'When people show you who they are, believe them.'

Advertisement