Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo constituency GE2020

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Ring will still top the poll, these are still local not general elections. And he has done enough to get the vote from those 1000's of grants he has given out.

Anyone find that phone bill for her ladyship and tell her roaming charges were scraped 12 months ago :) Might ask her to explain to me how falsification of votes work if I decide to vote for others during the election when she stands on the doorstep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

8th the Feb it is then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

naughto wrote: »
    8th the Feb it is then

INTO up in arms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,293 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

INTO up in arms

Poor things! They should all be on Saturdays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ethical

Ring will top the poll.(He may haul Dillon over the line if Alan is nice to him!!!!!)

Calleary will get second spot.

Ms.Chambers was new last time and people gave her a chance,She will have an almighty battle to survive this time,not easy being an expectant mother and canvassing on these dirty dark wet evenings ALONG WITH SITTING IN THE INCORRECT SEAT A FEW TIMES!

Ms Mulherin will do better than expected and may well garner a seat BUT NO DOUBT THIS INTELLIGENT GIRL WILL DO SOMETHING STUPID BEFORE THE ELECTION! She always does.

Mr.Dillon make a deadly error in getting Kenny to launch his election run..............what the fcuk was he at,getting a man that would have been nowhere only for Ring rescued him election before last and then stupid Mayo people thought that a Mayo Taoiseach would give them endless richess,a lá John O'Donoghue in Kerry (and he wasnt even Taoiseach!).
    People are so so stupid when elections come around and with all due respect electing a former Mayo footballer should be a no no,look at the situation when Mayo people previously destroyed their chance of a virtually guaranteed All Ireland and the swapped it for your man,the Senator from Ballaghadereen to take charge of their football team and henceforth destroy their opportunity of ending a near 70 year wait for Sam! Of course the senator feathered his own nest.

Kenny feathered his own nest and treated Ring like SH1TE,never gave him the front line ministry he deserved.Credit to Leo for putting Ring in the First Team....about the only thing our Star struck Taoiseach did right!
    Dillon should have run for the Council and now he could have brought in another FGr to the Council in his place.Instead he has weakened his FG team in Mayo .Did he fear that he would not be elected to the council? PEOPLE OF MAYO DO NOT BE STUPID AGAIN!!!!!

Ms Conway -Walsh,has as good a chance as any (other than Ring and Calleary) of making the cut but she will have to make inroads into Ring's popularity in her native Erris,not an easy thing to do! She may also require someone of the calibre of Gerry Murray to run elsewhere in the county in order to make it,Murray is smart,intelligent and organised as all Sinn Féin candidates are, but will he run? Conway Walsh needs him!

If Kilcoyne considered running he would and perhaps could knock both Dillon and Chambers out in Castlebar but I reckon he sees himself as being more effective as a local politician and his record is there for all to see.

There are others who will put their names forward but are really wasting their money.

Joe Daly ,the People b4 Profit candidate ,has great ideas but in an old fashioned constituency as Mayo is,let us face it! he faces an uphill struggle for a few years before like-minded people see that he talks sense! His time may come in a few elections time.

I would sincerely hope that there is a bit of thought put into this election and that we do not end up with gombeens who are only in it for the money and the easy pension.Its time to end the Golden Circle!

• Advertisement

I predict Chambers will get in with votes to spare. She has already tapped into the young/middle age female vote quite effectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I predict Chambers will get in with votes to spare. She has already tapped into the young/middle age female vote quite effectively.

Yes, her outspoken pro-choice stance will do her no harm with that cohort, even in a 'backwater' like Mayo. Plus with FF on the up across the country, it's hard to see her or Calleary as facing any sort of difficulty...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Yes, her outspoken pro-choice stance will do her no harm with that cohort, even in a 'backwater' like Mayo. Plus with FF on the up across the country, it's hard to see her or Calleary as facing any sort of difficulty...

Apart from the voting scandal which will do her harm. People will see it as the usual FF carry on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Long_Wave

Dara Calleary looks so gross

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

Ring top for sure. Calleary a solid second.
    Chambers will get in third I reckon because FG non-Ring vote will be split. I'd rather Mulherin get in the fourth seat even if she's no great gain. Dillon strikes me as a man who just wants to get his head in the trough as fast as possible, for as long as possible.

The Shinner possibly the wild card, especially if the FG vote splits too evenly between the two contenders. I think the Sinn Féin highpoint has come and gone though, especially I can't see Mary Lou appealing to the hardcore SF boys in Mayo.

• Advertisement

robman60 wrote: »

The Shinner possibly the wild card, especially if the FG vote splits too evenly between the two contenders. I think the Sinn Féin highpoint has come and gone though, especially I can't see Mary Lou appealing to the hardcore SF boys in Mayo.

This constituency poll from last year has them on 2%.
    https://www.advertiser.ie/mayo/article/110471/poll-shows-no-mayo-breakthrough-for-green-party-and-sinn-fin
    You'd assume RCW's personal profile means her FPV will be a multiple of that but still very hard to win a seat from that base...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

ethical wrote: »
    Ring will top the poll.(He may haul Dillon over the line if Alan is nice to him!!!!!)

Ms.Chambers was new last time and people gave her a chance,She will have an almighty battle to survive this time,not easy being an expectant mother and canvassing on these dirty dark wet evenings ALONG WITH SITTING IN THE INCORRECT SEAT A FEW TIMES!

Ms Mulherin will do better than expected and may well garner a seat BUT NO DOUBT THIS INTELLIGENT GIRL WILL DO SOMETHING STUPID BEFORE THE ELECTION! She always does.

Mr.Dillon make a deadly error in getting Kenny to launch his election run..............what the fcuk was he at,getting a man that would have been nowhere only for Ring rescued him election before last and then stupid Mayo people thought that a Mayo Taoiseach would give them endless richess,a lá John O'Donoghue in Kerry (and he wasnt even Taoiseach!).
    People are so so stupid when elections come around and with all due respect electing a former Mayo footballer should be a no no,look at the situation when Mayo people previously destroyed their chance of a virtually guaranteed All Ireland and the swapped it for your man,the Senator from Ballaghadereen to take charge of their football team and henceforth destroy their opportunity of ending a near 70 year wait for Sam! Of course the senator feathered his own nest.

Kenny feathered his own nest and treated Ring like SH1TE,never gave him the front line ministry he deserved.Credit to Leo for putting Ring in the First Team....about the only thing our Star struck Taoiseach did right!
    Dillon should have run for the Council and now he could have brought in another FGr to the Council in his place.Instead he has weakened his FG team in Mayo .Did he fear that he would not be elected to the council? PEOPLE OF MAYO DO NOT BE STUPID AGAIN!!!!!

Ms Conway -Walsh,has as good a chance as any (other than Ring and Calleary) of making the cut but she will have to make inroads into Ring's popularity in her native Erris,not an easy thing to do! She may also require someone of the calibre of Gerry Murray to run elsewhere in the county in order to make it,Murray is smart,intelligent and organised as all Sinn Féin candidates are, but will he run? Conway Walsh needs him!

If Kilcoyne considered running he would and perhaps could knock both Dillon and Chambers out in Castlebar but I reckon he sees himself as being more effective as a local politician and his record is there for all to see.

There are others who will put their names forward but are really wasting their money.

Joe Daly ,the People b4 Profit candidate ,has great ideas but in an old fashioned constituency as Mayo is,let us face it! he faces an uphill struggle for a few years before like-minded people see that he talks sense! His time may come in a few elections time.

I would sincerely hope that there is a bit of thought put into this election and that we do not end up with gombeens who are only in it for the money and the easy pension.Its time to end the Golden Circle!

Dara Calleary is guaranteed a senior ministerial post as deputy leader of Fianna Fail.

I'd imagine Lisa Chambers is in line for a ministerial post too if Fianna Fail lead a government likely dependent on a confidence and supply agreement.

This is not an insignificant consideration when the Mayo electorate put their pen to the ballot paper with a similar thought process in place around voting for Michael Ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,409 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Theres a lot of stuff i would disagree with in your post and thats putting it politely but this is hilarious. Joe Daly couldn't make the council, thank god, an absolute blessing. If he put as much effort into his job as he did into his politics it would be a start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,409 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I think it'll be Ring/Calleary fairly close
    Dillon followed by Chambers

Doubt Mulherin has much chance TBH, there aren't three FG seats in Mayo

Green&Red wrote: »
    I think it'll be Ring/Calleary fairly close
    Dillon followed by Chambers

Doubt Mulherin has much chance TBH, there aren't three FG seats in Mayo

I don't think anyone is saying there are, but I don't why there should be certainty that a rookie like Dillon will take the second FG seat ahead of her. She's certainly making a big push; posters all over Ballina this morning...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

I don't think anyone is saying there are, but I don't why there should be certainty that a rookie like Dillon will take the second FG seat ahead of her. She's certainly making a big push; posters all over Ballina this morning...
    ya id fancy her to take the seat ahead of dillon this time, in fairness to her she has been putting in some amount of work (canvassing work) for the last year at least, she is at everything, she is pretty much a professional lip syncer at this stage.

since she came on the scene i have had a lot of time for lisa chambers, i always thought she came across very well. she preformed very well during and after the repeal the 8th ref and she did well on Brexit. now i dont know her and have never met her.
    Having said that she has gone down a good bit in my estimation recently. the whole voting thing is a pretty bad look and her various explanations have made her look foolish at best.
    also i'm not sure moving to killala is the best move at this time, if she thinks (or has been convinced) that her new association with the area is going to win her votes she is sadly mistaken. then again her private life is her own business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Ah for crying out loud. :rolleyes: And maybe less of the wholescale insulting of the Mayo electorate if you don't mind? Your 'analysis' might be considered a bit more seriously then

Michael Farrington not running for Renua not that it would make any diffrence i suppose. Lawless might pick up the hard core anti choice vote if it even exists anymore? Though in fairmess to him he's not making any noise on that issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Michael Farrington not running for Renua not that it would make any diffrence i suppose. Lawless might pick up the hard core anti choice vote if it even exists anymore? Though in fairmess to him he's not making any noise on that issue

He has posters up around Castlebar today. Not that they will do him much good. Hopefully

Michael Farrington not running for Renua
    He has posters up around Castlebar today. Not that they will do him much good.

Well not if the previous post is accurate anyway:confused:

• Advertisement

Well not if the previous post is accurate anyway

I meant Lawless. No amount of posters will help Farringdon!

I meant Lawless. No amount of posters will help Farringdon!

Oh right, he's the Aontu guy, Google informs me. Never heard of him before. And never will again after the election, in all probability...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

Will the taxi man run ?
    No point him stopping now with every election being a disaster

I'm just waiting for Kamal's hat to land in the ring

I'm just waiting for Kamal's hat to land in the ring

:D

farmchoice wrote: »
    ya id fancy her to take the seat ahead of dillon this time, in fairness to her she has been putting in some amount of work (canvassing work) for the last year at least, she is at everything, she is pretty much a professional lip syncer at this stage.

since she came on the scene i have had a lot of time for lisa chambers, i always thought she came across very well. she preformed very well during and after the repeal the 8th ref and she did well on Brexit. now i dont know her and have never met her.
    Having said that she has gone down a good bit in my estimation recently. the whole voting thing is a pretty bad look and her various explanations have made her look foolish at best.
    also i'm not sure moving to killala is the best move at this time, if she thinks (or has been convinced) that her new association with the area is going to win her votes she is sadly mistaken. then again her private life is her own business.

Lest we be accused of endemic cynicism vis a vis our politicians I can't find it credible that she'd move to Killala for anything other than personal reasons.

She'd be far more likely to lose votes with such a move with reduced visibilty around her Castlebar bailiwick.

Fair play to her,it's a brave move but very understandable.I can only imagine it is quite a task to juggle a high octane political career and her pending motherhood.

I see the Connaught Telegraph are bigging up Saoirse Mc Hugh as a dark horse.

She performed quite credibly in the European elections but the Greens are polling at 1% in this constituency.

Oh right, he's the Aontu guy, Google informs me. Never heard of him before. And never will again after the election, in all probability...

Ran in the loclas, young lad and he's very active on social media, cant believe havent heard of him tbh

Ran in the loclas, young lad and he's very active on social media, cant believe havent heard of him tbh

I never heard of him either.

On Morning Ireland Eamon Ryan stated he'd scrap the N5 dual carriageway project as part of any government,ditto other major road projects.

I don't believe he stated it would be pre condition for entering a coalition government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

seligehgit wrote: »
    On Morning Ireland Eamon Ryan stated he'd scrap the N5 dual carriageway project as part of any government,ditto other major road projects.

I don't believe he stated it would be pre condition for entering a coalition government.

i came on to post the same thing, if mc hugh girl had any chance before ryan explicity said he would put a stop to the westport road she has none now.

I heard ryan, mattie mc grath and one of the healy-rae's on sean o rourke the other day. it was hard to tell which was the bigger clown. ryan sounds plausible until you listen to the words he is saying. mattie mc grath wiped the floor with him and mattie mc garth cant wipe his arse.

Advertisement