Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo constituency GE2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

That road is to far gone. The land is purchased, contracts are signed and builders are on site and will have started works before the election happens. By the time a government is formed it will be March. Realistically it would be another 2-3 weeks (at best) before he finds his feet and stops the road. We’re then in April. He won’t be able to stop it without massive costs (compensation to builder, etc) and then spend millions returning it to grassland.

Anyway, while I didn’t hear the interview, it was a stupid thing to say. I’m disappointed as I’d like to see McHugh do well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

Dudda wrote: »
    That road is to far gone. The land is purchased, contracts are signed and builders are on site and will have started works before the election happens. By the time a government is formed it will be March. Realistically it would be another 2-3 weeks (at best) before he finds his feet and stops the road. We’re then in April. He won’t be able to stop it without massive costs (compensation to builder, etc) and then spend millions returning it to grassland.

Anyway, while I didn’t hear the interview, it was a stupid thing to say. I’m disappointed as I’d like to see McHugh do well.
    oh there is no hope he will stop this road or any other one for that matter, if the greens do in up in government this will be off the table immediately.

but it means that candidates in rural constituencies have to answer for the loony proposals.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I don't think anyone is saying there are, but I don't why there should be certainty that a rookie like Dillon will take the second FG seat ahead of her. She's certainly making a big push; posters all over Ballina this morning...
    At last, a reliable steer on this question courtesy of Patrick Power Esquire:P
    https://www.paddypower.com/politics?tab=irish-constituencies

They have Mulherin @4/6 and Dillon @ 10/11, so the bounce of a ball in it.:D Surprisingly McHugh is next favourite @ 3/, but I guess they're covering themselves in the event of a massive green surge
    Three sitting TDs are unbackable...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭spakman

seligehgit wrote: »
    On Morning Ireland Eamon Ryan stated he'd scrap the N5 dual carriageway project as part of any government,ditto other major road projects.

I don't believe he stated it would be pre condition for entering a coalition government.

I heard that. Not alone that - he said people should walk and use bicycles!
    He is so Dublin-oriented he doesn't realise how ridiculous he sounds to the rest of the country.
    Does he expect me to cycle from Dublin down to West Mayo to see my mother!? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ethical

Ryan is an idiot as far as outside the Pale is concerned.His party will pick up a few seats and be charmed into Government by eirther FG or FF and like before they will fcuk him up,blame him for everything regarding tax rises etc and he will be out on his ear come the next election.He just sees tax as the salvation of the planet.There are other better ways to encourage people to go green rather than screw them with tax.

• Advertisement

https://www.irishtimes.com/election2020/election-2020-mayo-constituency-profile-1.4144224

Here's Harry McGee of IT's take on the constituency. Sticking with the conventional wisdom of 2FF/2FG but doesn't - quite - write off young Saoirse...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Boredstiff666

Why are they building this Westport road anyway?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Because it's needed. Why is any road built?

So the name of Michael Ring will live forever

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Because it's needed. Why is any road built?

Thats an open question.

So the politician who arranged it thinks he can get re-elected from the half wits who think....'he got the road'.

So the breadman can deliver faster.

So businessmen who arent involved in whats already there can try and use it to get investment for what they want.

Because the traffic on existing road is excessive which it isnt.

Also the new stuff is that we will soon be driving less in electric cars so not much forward thinking possibly.

• Advertisement

Thats an open question.

So the politician who arranged it thinks he can get re-elected from the half wits who think....'he got the road'.

So the breadman can deliver faster.

So businessmen who arent involved in whats already there can try and use it to get investment for what they want.

Because the traffic on existing road is excessive which it isnt.

Also the new stuff is that we will soon be driving less in electric cars so not much forward thinking possibly.

Why do you think having an electric car means you'll be driving less?

spakman wrote: »
    Why do you think having an electric car means you'll be driving less?

Because of all the revenue the Gov will lose from repairs and parts and fuel for normal cars, they will most likely charge you per mile when electric to recover that revenue which is actually huge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Because the multinationals who employ half of mayo have complained no end about it.

Allergan have to put extra packaging on products made in Westport because the n5 is so ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Hard to credit a constituency that’s as ravaged as Mayo is by emigration and depopulation could elect 2 TDS for Fine Gael who are only concerned about Dublin issues .
    Fine Gael closed most Mayo garda stations as well to ensure traveller gangs have a clear run at those living in rural Mayo . Mayo people deserve to be robbed weekly and see all their children emigrate if they still vote Fine Gael .

Because of all the revenue the Gov will lose from repairs and parts and fuel for normal cars, they will most likely charge you per mile when electric to recover that revenue which is actually huge.

Well that's just baseless speculation! There's nothing to suggest they'll start charging per mile - the tax take has been going down due to all the new lower emmision cars bought in recent years. that hole will have to be plugged eventually but there's never been a suggestion to charge per mile/km regardless of whether it's electric, hybrid, diesel or petrol.

spakman wrote: »
    Well that's just baseless speculation! There's nothing to suggest they'll start charging per mile - the tax take has been going down due to all the new lower emmision cars bought in recent years. that hole will have to be plugged eventually but there's never been a suggestion to charge per mile/km regardless of whether it's electric, hybrid, diesel or petrol.

Sure it is because we aint there yet but they cant put the tax elsewhere as that wouldnt be fair so its cost per mile or massive vehicle tax which can be open to abuse and fraud...........so easier cost be mile and all electric cars will be tracked anyway. That is the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

the half wits
    Less of comments like this

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Hard to credit a constituency that’s as ravaged as Mayo is by emigration and depopulation could elect 2 TDS for Fine Gael who are only concerned about Dublin issues .
    Fine Gael closed most Mayo garda stations as well to ensure traveller gangs have a clear run at those living in rural Mayo . Mayo people deserve to be robbed weekly and see all their children emigrate if they still vote Fine Gael .

And FF aren't. The gardai might be in better shape if FF hadn't bankrupt the country. The emigation has got worse because FF bankrupt the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

irishgeo wrote: »
    And FF aren't. The gardai might be in better shape if FF hadn't bankrupt the country. The emigation has got worse because FF bankrupt the country.

FF wouldn’t have closed all the rural garda stations like Fine Gael did allowing travellers rob the elderly and isolated of mayo at their ease . Fianna Fáil are far from the solution but at least they have some interest in rural Ireland . Fine Gael are a Dublin Party at this stage and couldn’t give a toss about Rural Ireland particularly counties like Mayo , Donegal , rosscommon etc only suck their brightest young people into Dublin . Let the other unskilled young people in mayo emigrate to London or further afield , Leo , Pascal , Simon and the other FG Dublin oligarchs dont give a Continetal only laughing at those in mayo who persist in voting for them .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

What were the main candidates views on the abortion referendum? I know Chambers was pro choice and i think Calleary and Mulherin was the other side? Not what about Ring or did he even voice an opinion and also Dillon, did he? Daly, Conway Walsh were pro choice and i'm assuming McHugh would have been also

• Advertisement

What were the main candidates views on the abortion referendum? I know Chambers was pro choice and i think Calleary and Mulherin was the other side? Not what about Ring or did he even voice an opinion and also Dillon, did he? Daly, Conway Walsh were pro choice and i'm assuming McHugh would have been also

They're all pro-choice now. Even Calleary ended up voting for the abortion legislation...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

They're all pro-choice now. Even Calleary ended up voting for the abortion legislation...

Not really what i asked though. Im interested in their views at the time not how they voted.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Fianna Fáil are far from the solution but at least they have some interest in rural Ireland . Fine Gael are a Dublin Party at this stage and couldn’t give a toss about Rural Ireland...

And yet Fine Gael introduced the National Broadband Plan despite the strenuous objections of Fianna Fail's Timmy Dooley. Strange behaviour for a "Dublin Party".

Not really what i asked though. Im interested in their views at the time not how they voted.

Why, that debate is over. it's not going to be resurrected again. Move on.

FF wouldn’t have closed all the rural garda stations like Fine Gael did allowing travellers rob the elderly and isolated of mayo at their ease . Fianna Fáil are far from the solution but at least they have some interest in rural Ireland . Fine Gael are a Dublin Party at this stage and couldn’t give a toss about Rural Ireland particularly counties like Mayo , Donegal , rosscommon etc only suck their brightest young people into Dublin . Let the other unskilled young people in mayo emigrate to London or further afield , Leo , Pascal , Simon and the other FG Dublin oligarchs dont give a Continetal only laughing at those in mayo who persist in voting for them .

Those garda stations were closed BECAUSE of FF and the disgraceful way they left our country bankrupt.

Up to yourself what you're interested in, but I don't really see what relevance any personal views TDs may have expressed on the issue are. Calleary voted in favour of holding the repeal referendum and ultimately in favour of the subsequent legislation so in the sense that matters for a TD, he's just as pro-choice as Chambers. IIRC Ring, Mulherin and O'Mahony all expressed unease about the X Case legislation but all ended up toeing the party line so from the 'pro-life' perspective, their 'views' didn't amount to a whole lot...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,409 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I wonder will Chambers life choices come against her? I’d imagine a lot of the hardline FF (and FG) voters have a fairly staunch view on the family and protecting it. Likewise her partner at the next local election

Green&Red wrote: »
    I wonder will Chambers life choices come against her? I’d imagine a lot of the hardline FF (and FG) voters have a fairly staunch view on the family and protecting it. Likewise her partner at the next local election

Only discovered the story behind this this morning.

All I'll say is, 'life choices' didn't seem to come against Beverley Cooper Flynn with Mayo FF loyalists, and that's a fair while ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Green&Red wrote: »

I honestly think that boat has sailed.

Mayo is no where as conservative as it was historically.

IMO economic,environmental and the bread and butter issues of health,education and justice will be foremost on the electorate's mind.Social issues much less so.

• Advertisement

Your entitled to your opinion.

Advertisement