Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband options - Callan Road Kilkenny.

Options
  • 20-02-2017 2:21pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just checking out the options for someone located about 1 mile out from the Callan Road Roundabout.

Eir is running there currently. Old style dsl and it's poor (and not cheap either). 5 mb on a good day and a lot slower when it's busy. I guess this is down to contention. There's a fibre cabinet running at St. Margarets Fields which is close enough (just over 0.5 miles) but Eir say they've no plans to extend the fibre bb service currently.

I looked at Digiweb Metro and Imagine LTE. Both offer coverage - up to 30mb for Digiweb and up to 70mb for Imagine. Prices vary a bit and both have usage caps which are pretty high so shouldn't be an issue.

Imagine beam their signal from Mount Nugent apparently.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭Spocker

I setup a guy on the Waterford road near Grovine recently, who had just gotten Imagine installed in the previous couple of days, with the usual line of "we won't install if it's less than 30Mb". On the evening I was there, I was only averaging around 10Mb down, standing right beside their router, so poor enough

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭kittytwister

While cycling home last Saturday saw this large sign in Bennettsbridge for 70 Mb from Imagine. Filled in form online. Got call offering me service but told him I will let him know in the morning. Have about 9 mb from eir. Living mile from Thomastown , green fibre enabled cabinet only 900 m away but no sign of eir rerouting our wires which go right beside the cabinet. Concerned about paying €150 for a service and 18 month contract that may not be up to scratch. When I see that service in city environs is only 10 mb from Mount Nugent which is up near Castlewarren, what hopebwould I have getting a reasonable service down here in Thomastown. Your advice and suggestions would be really appreciated.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Ordered Digiweb Metro for a finish. Speed (up to 30mb) service and price were the main factors. The voip phone inclusion is nice.

Will advise quality and feedback here when it's up and live.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Rang Eir to cancel their line. They told me fibre WAS available at the address.

Not only that they offered a 12 month deal (unlimited fibre bb and basic phone service) at €44p/m. Installation next week.

Digiweb were brilliant when I told them, and have agreed to suspend my order for 2 weeks just in case Eir foul up (which is quite possible). They wrote to us last year offering fibre and couldn't complete the order when I agreed to it. Now it seems it is infact available and that only came to light when I went to cancel.

Stay tuned......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

http://totalwireless.ie/packages/index.html

Package E: Up to 10Mb download, 1Mb upload - €42 per month, 2 Mb upload option €47
    Package F: up to 20Mb download, 1.5Mb upload - €48 per month
    Package G: up to 30Mb download, 2 Mb upload - €58 per month

• Advertisement

http://totalwireless.ie/packages/index.html

Package E: Up to 10Mb download, 1Mb upload - €42 per month, 2 Mb upload option €47
    Package F: up to 20Mb download, 1.5Mb upload - €48 per month
    Package G: up to 30Mb download, 2 Mb upload - €58 per month

That's not competitive tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

I moved from the Digiweb Metro Service (im in ballycallan) to the LTE and there is no comparison , its considerably quicker.

If you can get a good 3 4g signal the 3 unlimited data bundle can be nearly as quick ( i get near 60 megs on the 4g with a decent router)

I use the 4g as backup broadband.

aidankkk wrote: »
    I moved from the Digiweb Metro Service (im in ballycallan) to the LTE and there is no comparison , its considerably quicker.

If you can get a good 3 4g signal the 3 unlimited data bundle can be nearly as quick ( i get near 60 megs on the 4g with a decent router)

I use the 4g as backup broadband.

3 signal is very poor in the area.

Eir fibre bb was installed on time this morning. It's a massive improvement. The new contract is good too.

Advertisement