Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replacing damaged drivers licence

• 20-02-2017 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi folks,

Looking for opinions because I can't make up my mind on what to do.

Renting a car abroad for the holidays. One of the terms is that the drivers licence is held for at least one year, I've had mine for 9. My current paper licence is a bit damaged though. The photograph is smudged; looks like moisture got in somehow. You can still tell it's me though, just smudged around the edges and a few spots on the face.

Do I:

A) Chance my existing licence? Does a damaged photo invalidate it?

B) Replace with new? Will the issue date be as per original licence or from when I receive it?

If I go with B and the issue date is from this year, the licence will be less than 1 years old and they won't rent to me.

Anyone replace a damaged licence recently that is in the know?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Held means from the date you got your first licence, not the time you have had your current licence. I'd replace the licence with a new one, issue date will be test pass or issue date of first licence, not exactly sure which it shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

johnington wrote:
    B) Replace with new? Will the issue date be as per original licence or from when I receive it?

I replaced my damaged licence in 2015. That's the date it shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I replaced my damaged licence in 2015. That's the date it shows.

It shows 2015?
    If so that's not correct and you should ask them to replace it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Generally speaking - we are talking about 2 different things.

One is your licence as per entitlement to drive. That date should be equivalent to the around date you passed your test , and might be different for different categories if you have few. This date should never change, and should always be the same on all your licence documents.

Seconds is the date of issue of document, which will be different for every driving licence document which was issued to you.

F.e. my B category licence has issue date of 1999. My D category licence has issue date of 2008. C category issue date of 2012.
    But my most recent driving licence document was issued in 2012.
    All those dates should be noted on a licence document.

When someone asks me, how long did I have my car licence, asnwer is 18 years. And similarly 9 years for bus, and 5 years for truck.
    No one should be interested in issue date of document itself, as it's irrelevant.

Advertisement