Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First New York trip

Options
  • 20-02-2017 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Having our first trip to new york early March, I was just wondering are there any trips/sights that are simply not to be missed?

Does anyone have any tips? We are staying in downtown Manhattan, I apologise for the vague nature of the post.

Even if there was a New York super thread on here I would really appreciate the link

Thanks a million in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Woodbury Commons for the shopping, it's like a bigger version of Kildare Village. It's in New Jersey but you can get there by bus or train fairly easily; just bring some empty luggage if you are going, to make carrying your purchases easier.

I really enjoyed the Natural History Museum, it's in Manhattan and has some very good exhibits - particularly if you like dinosaurs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭9935452

Ive been there a few times . You can get a city pass which lets you do 6 different things around the city. The empire state building is on the list . So is the rockafellor centre. .
    We did the top of the rock at night and telling the truth it was fairly awesome at night.
    You are actually on the top of the building beside the aerials and broadcasting equipment.
    I thinks its better at night . You can see central park nearly better at night.
    The ticket for the empire state allows you to come back at night but go early or expect long ques.
    The aircraft carrier is worth a look too. The concord and space shuttle were there when i was last there.

Century 21 is a decent enough place for clothes shopping.

If you are caught for time dont bother with the statue of libertu and ellis island as you cant go up the statue anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

Woodbury Commons for the shopping, it's like a bigger version of Kildare Village. It's in New Jersey but you can get there by bus or train fairly easily; just bring some empty luggage if you are going, to make carrying your purchases easier.

I really enjoyed the Natural History Museum, it's in Manhattan and has some very good exhibits - particularly if you like dinosaurs!

Woodbury Common is actually in New York state but you do pass through Jersey ;)

It's a waste of a day in my opinion. There are plenty of shops in Manhattan with great value and as already mentioned you have Century 21 across the street from the WTC.
    There is also Jersey Gardens which is much nearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

What tours would you guys recommend? And where is a good place to eat?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭thebeerbaron

Do the circle line tour and the intrepid museum next to it. You will get to see statue of liberty and the entire river facing side of the island. The intrepid museum is 4 museums in 1 location and its next to the circle line departures. You can get it with the city pass. As far as tours go I wouldnt bother. Do you own thing. Top of the Rock is 11/10. Most of the museums around central park are very good also, the Met is brilliant. Spent an entire day in there, same for the natural history museum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭bigbudda

We were there last July, would love to be going back!!
    I would recommend visiting Yankee Stadium for a baseball game...baseball wasn't our thing but the atmosphere was brilliant and visited a few funky nearby bars in the Bronx post game.

I recommend the High Line walk if it's a nice day.

The Staten island ferry gets you great free views of the Statue of Liberty and goes every 30 minutes.

We also went on day trips to Coney Island and New Jersey , and one evening in Brooklyn.

We did the touristy things too such as Little Italy and Central Park but I say venture outside of Manhattan too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

I booked the statue of Liberty to go up to the crown so you can still go up it well lets hope so.
    If using the subway buy the pass for $31. Got sent this from a recent family visitor.
    • Chrysler Building can only go into lobby but worth a look
    • Smorsgasburg Brooklyn Bridge Park Pier 5:  Smorgasburg happens every Sunday in Brooklyn Bridge Park at Pier 5 on the waterfront, featuring packaged and prepared foods, purveyors from New York City and across the region, and other food-related vendors (kitchen utensils, housewares, etc.), for a total of 100 vendors. Rain or shine
    • Shake Shack;  burgers etc and gets very busy.  366 Columbus Ave @ 77th St/Madison Ave and E 23rd Street
    • Other Bars:  Drop off Service:  211 Avenue A;  $3 pints before 8pm every day

Brooklyn Bridge and Staten Island FerryWhen you get off at Staten Island as for directions for memorial to those lost in 9/11

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Delete not posting all text?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Get your tours on groupon dont buy it when you get there you will save a packet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

9935452 wrote: »

If you are caught for time dont bother with the statue of libertu and ellis island as you cant go up the statue anymore.

You can go up the Statue of Liberty, it just requires advance booking.

I would also argue that in the context of all that's going in the US at the moment with regards to immigrants that Ellis Island is a powerful reminder that the US was built on immigrants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Any recommendations for good areas to go for food and drinks outside Manhattan for one evening ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Get the no. 7 subway train to Queens and get off in Sunnyside. Mario's (4304 47th Ave, Sunnyside, NY 11104) serve very nice italian food while Sidetracks (45-08 Queens Blvd, Sunnyside, NY 11104) is a good place for a meal and drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

An obvious one, but get the ferry to see Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty. Really liked that!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MadamRazz

I loved the hop on hop off bus tour. It was really interesting and took you to all the main attractions.
    Woodbury Common is well work a visit, but as said in a previous post, do bring a suitcase to make it easier. If you go into any big shopping malls or stores, go to the customer service desk with your passport and you will be given some coupons.
    DSW on 40E & 14th Street, by Union Square, is great for cheap designer shoes and theres usually an open market in the square across the road.
    When I went I mostly stayed around times square and up to 34th Street for shopping.
    If you want cheap theatre tickets, then go to the Marriett Hotel in Times Square, but you can be waiting for an hour or more and it can be hit and miss with the shows and the seats. But sometimes you can hit gold.

Advertisement