Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crash on the Quays today (Dublin)

Options
  • 20-02-2017 4:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭

I was walking through town today on my lunch and saw the aftermath of this. The cyclist (I presume) was on the stretcher being put into the ambulance when I got there, so I don't know how it happened. Hope he's ok, it looked pretty bad although the ambulance didn't seem to be in a rush to bring him off once he was loaded in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Feck, the cave in on the roof suggests it was a very strong impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It would be slightly weakened by sunroof so designed to crumble.

Hope they are OK that road is very narrow at the moment with works.

I would suggest any others to cycle other side of barrier as driving style around there can be quite bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

It would be slightly weakened by sunroof so designed to crumble.

Hope they are OK that road is very narrow at the moment with works.

I would suggest any others to cycle other side of barrier as driving style around there can be quite bad.

Its the longest works ever. Going on over 2 years now and all it seems to be is a small wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Is that inside the 30kph zone? That's a serious impact for car vs. cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Its the longest works ever. Going on over 2 years now and all it seems to be is a small wall.

True it is bad.

The road lanes have been cut and driving is bad as a lot shoot up left lane to get into turn for pierse st.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

That photo is after the traffic lights so likely a T-bone between car and cyclist at the gap in the hoardings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Plastik wrote: »
    That photo is after the traffic lights so likely a T-bone between car and cyclist at the gap in the hoardings.

That's speculation, and pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

seen it just after it happened on my way back from lunch as well , looked pretty grim the, chap seemed to be in some pain

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: lets be cautious of speculating. Hopefully the person on the bike and in the car is OK. I have removed the pic in case a family member would see it (or someone with a friend and a similar bike) and freak out.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭eladnova

Saw this soon after it happened. Poor guy / girl must have been there at least 15 minutes before any emergency response arrived (or so it seemed).
    Was amazed at the state of the car and the damage to the roof, windshield and sunroof. Really hope everyone involved is ok.
    When the ambulance arrived, the driver (I am 99% sure it was the driver) was explaining to one of the paramedics what happened and was illustrating with their hand movements. 
    I don't want to cloud things by interpreting those gestures but it doesn't seem like it happened where I initially thought IE *exactly* at the crossing point. 
    Slightly OT but I have to say the pedestrian crossing at the bridge  is very dangerous for both pedestrians and cyclists. 
    Every morning I cross it, (on foot) it's apparent that pedestrians don't realise there's a cycle track running along the road and I've see cyclists cycling in the opposite direction on the same lane too. Hopefully when the works are finished, the signage will be a lot clearer for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I cycle that strech every morning (over the quay from Connolly, and heading towards Pearce. Gave up on the cycle path fairly quickly as it's a mess where they all meet. I go on the road each morning now, traffic is usually fiarly slow so no problem keeping up with traffic.

Hope the guy recovers.

Advertisement