Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork and Commuter Cyclists

Options
  • 20-02-2017 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭

Does Cork city have a very low number of commuter cyclists and if so why? I had a meeting today at CIT which was packed full of students but was quite surprised by how few bikes there were at the bike racks. I googled and CIT have 12,000 students enrolled but there were maybe 100 bikes (if even) on the campus.

What is that all about?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Does Cork city have a very low number of commuter cyclists and if so why? I had a meeting today at CIT which was packed full of students but was quite surprised by how few bikes there were at the bike racks. I googled and CIT have 12,000 students enrolled but there were maybe 100 bikes (if even) on the campus.

What is that all about?

There do be hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Moflojo wrote: »
    There do be hills.
    I remember when I was learning to drive I ended up in Cork for a few days. Great place to practice hill starts :pac: I'm sure my D-reg and L-plates were a great hit with the locals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

BailMeOut wrote: »

What is that all about?

Drive on around UCC, you'll change your mind!
    Wrong direction, wrong side of road, no lights, carrying pizzas and beer, three on a bike. You name it, they're at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Wrong direction, wrong side of road, no lights, carrying pizzas and beer, three on a bike. You name it, they're at it.

Bloody students eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

I live near UCC, so i cycle/drive this way a lot. It's hard to believe these people are future Doctors, Solicitors, etc, they simply stroll across the roads regardless of traffic, totally oblivious as to what is going on around them. As Mrs funnights says "these are the people with all the brains" :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 technics_1210

cork city and suburbs are deadly dangerous for bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Not to mention the road surfaces, gully traps 6 inches below the road, ****e manhole finishing, etc.
    Only fall I've ever had was in Cork City, in a crater of a pothole.
    Dublin streets are astoundingly good in comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

outfox wrote: »
    Not to mention the road surfaces, gully traps 6 inches below the road, ****e manhole finishing, etc.
    Only fall I've ever had was in Cork City, in a crater of a pothole.
    Dublin streets are astoundingly good in comparison.

Aye, they have it aisy above in Dublin with their hills off out of the way to the south, and nice smooth roads.

Advertisement