Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

who is the longest on the radio?

• 20-02-2017 6:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭

i got permission by Nody thanks

year when started

Dave Kelly fm104 year 1992
    Andy Preston fm104 1995
    Mark Nobble year 1999
    Larry Gorgan 2fm 1979
    Tony Blackburn bbc year 1967
    Gerry Ryan year bbc 1979 up to his death
    Paul Gambaccini bbc year 1973
    Pat Kenny rte year 1972 before leaving to join newstalk
    Dave Fanning rte year 1979
    Ian Dempsey today fm year 1998
    i am not to sure i think Phil Cawley was on today fm year 1997

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭The Parish Priest.

Well Larry Gogan has been on the radio since 1961, I think he is probably the longest standing now, It was Jimmy Magee but I don't think he has been air for a good while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

Scott Williams wirreless group 1989

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I would have thought that Gay Byrne would be our longest serving radio presenter having started in 1958.
    Byrne began his broadcasting career on radio.
    Radio Éireann gave him a 15-minute slot on Monday nights which he used to play Jazz, his first broadcast for the station being in 1958

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Not as long as Larry, but John Peel, 67-97 ish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Mr Snow wrote: »
    Scott Williams wirreless group 1989

Continuity wise, Scott started on Capital in 1989 but left to join Century FM in 1991, only to return to the then Rock 104 that November. He was on 104 until the late 90's when he was sacked/resigned. He was involved in the launch of Live 95 before moving to Lite FM when it launched in 2000. By quirk of faith all three of his locals were taken over by the then UTV group.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Mint Sauce wrote:

I suspect they mean on Irish radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Ian Dempsey was on 2fm before moving to Today FM, so a few more years could be added to his total. I think you are correct about Phil Cawley. I am sure he was on it when it was called Radio Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Mr Snow wrote: »
    i got permission by Nody thanks

year when started

Dave Kelly fm104 year 1992
    Andy Preston fm104 1995
    Mark Nobble year 1999
    Larry Gorgan 2fm 1979
    Tony Blackburn bbc year 1967
    Gerry Ryan year bbc 1979 up to his death
    Paul Gambaccini bbc year 1973
    Pat Kenny rte year 1972 before leaving to join newstalk
    Dave Fanning rte year 1979
    Ian Dempsey today fm year 1998
    i am not to sure i think Phil Cawley was on today fm year 1997

Do you mean the longest involved with a particular radio station or do you actually mean the longest in radio, period?
    If you mean the longest in a particular station:
    Dave Kelly - FM104 started as Capital Radio in July 1989 and Dave Kelly was there from the start but it is true he is the longest with it as FM104 as well.
    John Peel - BBC Radio 1 from 1967 up to his death. I don't think Tony Blackburn comes close in years to some others. What about Annie Nightingale - she joined in the 1970's and is still there - she must be the longest living person with Radio 1.
    Declan Meehan - 1991 or 1992 - East Coast FM
    Scott Williams - With Lite FM/Q102 since 2000 (became Q102 in 2004)
    Liam Coburn - Q102 since 2004
    Phil Cawley - Radio Ireland/Today FM since March 1997 (longest presenter)
    Paul Collins - Radio Ireland/Today FM since 1997 (longest sportscaster)
    Barry Dunne - 98FM since 1996
    Gareth O'Callaghan - 4FM since 2009 - the only original who has been there since the start and did not leave. Owen Larkin returned a couple of years ago after having left early on.
    Radio Nova (which only started in September 2010) has a number of its original presenters still there: Marty Miller, Greg Gaughren, Pat Courtenay and Pat James. I think Dee Woods was there from the start too, but initially as a newsreader. Mike Maloney left and came back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Mint Sauce wrote:

John Peel was still doing 10-midnight on BBC Radio 1 up until a few weeks before his death in 2004.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Howard Stern.

1976-Present.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

It is unclear whether the OP meant the longest on particular radio stations or radio in general. The examples he gave would seem to suggest the first, but even then there is a bit of ambiguity. Certainly, we are getting some replies which would suggest that some posters are thinking of the latter scenario.

If it is radio in general, it has to go to Gay Byrne since 1958 (Radio 1 and Lyric FM) followed by Larry Gogan who has been with RTE (first Radio 1 and then 2FM) since 1961.

Other long-haulers include: Declan Meehan since somewhere between 1970 and 1972 to present - he was with a number of pirate stations in the '70s, and Pat Kenny starting with Radio 1 in 1972.

Going back to the previous scenario - longest in a particular station - the late Eamon Cooke was involved with Radio Dublin from 1973 until the early '00s. (Let's not bring anything unrelated into this forum please in his case.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

On the BBC Nicholas Parsons has been the chairman of Just a Minute since 1967. He is now 93 years old and the latest series on Radio 4 has just started this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

If it is radio in general, it has to go to Gay Byrne since 1958 (Radio 1 and Lyric FM) followed by Larry Gogan who has been with RTE (first Radio 1 and then 2FM) since 1961.

Gay has not been consistent on Irish radio over the years, the Gay Byrne show on Radio 1 finished in 1999 and he was off the radio until 2010 when he joined Lyric FM on Sundays for his seasonal shows. Hopefully we will hear him on again.

But Larry has been consistent on RTE Radio since 1961, apart from some time off due to ill health (In 2002 and 2016 for a few months springs to mind).

A good few of Gay and Larry's generation of presenters have retired or left radio in the last few years (Brendan Balfe, Jimmy Magee, Val Joyce, Donnacha O'Dulaing).

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭bureau2009

The longest serving on RTE Radio are:

Gay Byrne (hope he's back before the microphone soon!)
    Larry Gogan
    and, often forgotten about...
    John Bowman.

He does an archive feature on Sunday mornings at 8.30 am - usually to mark a death or anniversary.

Annie Nightingale on BBC Radio 1 deserves a mention too........not only has she been there for decades, her programme has really latest trend/cutting edge music that people young enough to be her grandchildren are into!

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Also worth a mention is Brian Matthew of BBC Radio 2.

Started in the BBC in 1954! Presented BBC Radio 2's Sound of the Sixties since 1990. Following some recent sick leave has now been replaced on Sounds of the Sixties by Tony Blackburn. End of an era.

Advertisement