Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed camera man

Options
  • 20-02-2017 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Anyone know the story with the lad that appears around the city roads with what appears to be a speed gun and separate camera. Is this a hobby or does he fulfil a purpose?

Just curious

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It's an odd one. Usually when they want to know about traffic on a road they put those two cables across the ground. I thought that could do speed as well.

Seems pointless having a dude stand out doing it when they can do it that way.

I wouldn't be surprised if speed guns aren't available to the general public. I would also be surprised to find out checking for cars speeding is a new type of hobby. Maybe it's a local resident trying to get the council to provide speed bumps because he thinks everyone is driving too fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

I've seen him recently and he doesn't look official whatsoever and tends to be lurking behind a pole/hedge etc while he's doing what hes doing.

The day I saw him he had a speed gun, large camera and backpack so didn't look at all innocent.

I think his shadow activity would cause worry among security conscious people living alone

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭rowr

Agree with the 'not official' opinion. The day I spotted him was outside the road at Dangan sports grounds, where a large amount of young kids groups were training inside there, as it was a Sunday morning.

Not implying anything here but just wonder what his purpose was there, and what he does with the pictures of the traffic he photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Worn Out

He's doing a job that the guards and council should be doing. All data compiled is shared with guards and council. He's may be outside Dangan, schools etc for a good reason - children play there and cars go steaming by with no awareness or thought for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,481 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Worn Out wrote: »
    He's doing a job that the guards and council should be doing. All data compiled is shared with guards and council. He's may be outside Dangan, schools etc for a good reason - children play there and cars go steaming by with no awareness or thought for others.

So what's his job then? Who employs him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Worn Out

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    So what's his job then? Who employs him?

Does he have to be employed by somebody? He might be self employed.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,481 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Maybe he is. I wonder does he have a licence to use speed guns or who does he supply his data to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Sigh... who pays him? Who has contracted him to gather this "data"? Who has engaged him as a speed surveyor in whatever level of "official-ness" is applicable.

If it's just data for the sake of speed ramps or potential problems areas... why the camera?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Sigh... who pays him? Who has contracted him to gather this "data"? Who has engaged him as a speed surveyor in whatever level of "official-ness" is applicable.

If it's just data for the sake of speed ramps or potential problems areas... why the camera?

This isn't the same fellow who lurks around Threadneedle Road and Taylor's Hill crossroads is it? On a bike with a backpack and a large camera around his back.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 ching

The previous post is correct, he is cosain on twitter.. he is not doing his work on behalf of anybody. He has been warned by the guards on numerous occasions to remove certain posts and the guards have pulled up to him a few times too.
    He's proving nothing only winding people up. He's starting to annoy a lot of people around town now with photos of people vehicles, speeds which are not 100% accurate. I wonder how often or who calibrates his gun.
    He is harassing motorists, some of who are doing nothing wrong.

ching wrote: »
    The previous post is correct, he is cosain on twitter.. he is not doing his work on behalf of anybody. He has been warned by the guards on numerous occasions to remove certain posts and the guards have pulled up to him a few times too.
    He's proving nothing only winding people up. He's starting to annoy a lot of people around town now with photos of people vehicles, speeds which are not 100% accurate. I wonder how often or who calibrates his gun.
    He is harassing motorists, some of who are doing nothing wrong.

Is he the Threadneedle crossroads guy?

?Cee?view wrote: »
    Is he the Threadneedle crossroads guy?

That's him, Bushypark, Kingston, the bridge, parkmore.. pretty much all over the city. When people approach him or comment on his twitter he tries to use big words to confuse them.. he's all for cycling but reckons high vis and helmets on bikes are a waste of time..
    I think he is a nutter.. but I do follow his twitter page for a laugh and i keep checking to see has he any photos of me on there.

That's him, Bushypark, Kingston, the bridge, parkmore.. pretty much all over the city. When people approach him or comment on his twitter he tries to use big words to confuse them.. he's all for cycling but reckons high vis and helmets on bikes are a waste of time..
    I think he is a nutter.. but I do follow his twitter page for a laugh and i keep checking to see has he any photos of me on there.

That's gas. The poor man is a complete nutter. Sad really I suppose. He used to post here all the time with the ironic effect of turning discussions here against cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

Anyone got a link to his Twitter?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Nutter because he dares to question the almighty car?

I'm not sure that his methods are effective, but there are far worse things he could be doing. And he's right about the speeds some people travel at, and the lack of enforcement.

If anyone has any evidence that he's breaking the law, they should take it to the guards.

If you think it should be illegal to take photos of people in public, you'll need to approach your TD to get that onto the legislative programme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Galway with crazy nut job loon shocker!!!

Nutter because he dares to question the almighty car?

I'm not sure that his methods are effective, but there are far worse things he could be doing. And he's right about the speeds some people travel at, and the lack of enforcement.

If anyone has any evidence that he's breaking the law, they should take it to the guards.

If you think it should be illegal to take photos of people in public, you'll need to approach your TD to get that onto the legislative programme.

You've clearly never seen him in action...

No need to "take it" to the guards. They know him well. There are no legislative moves afoot against photographers but you will find that there are measures available against harassment and nuisance.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

ScumLord wrote: »
    It's an odd one. Usually when they want to know about traffic on a road they put those two cables across the ground.
    The cables can tell vehicle numbers and type only.
    I wouldn't be surprised if speed guns aren't available to the general public.
    Perfectly available, just like tape measures and weighting scales. Just not a huge market.
    Maybe it's a local resident trying to get the council to provide speed bumps because he thinks everyone is driving too fast.
    Official surveys indicate a huge number of people do speed in urban areas.
    I pay a lot of tax for a garda force + some kerry crowd that got a 'deal' to do gards work with speed cameras.
    Perhaps the Garda should do its job then. Remember the McCabe scandal goes back to complaints by McCabe about penalty points being disappeared.
    All the gardaí have done is complain about him including photos that include registration plates using the @GardaTraffic twitter handle.
    He's starting to annoy a lot of people around town now with photos of people vehicles, speeds which are not 100% accurate.
    What's your basis for saying this?
    RoboKlopp wrote: »
    I wonder does he have a licence to use speed guns
    A licence for what? From whom? Under what legislation?
    buzz11 wrote: »
    I think his shadow activity would cause worry among security conscious people living alone
    Paranoid much?
    High vis and helmets are the last measure one should implement. removing hte hazards should be the top priority.

Hierarchy_of_Hazard_Control-Explained-Creative_Safety_Supply-738x386.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Is there a chance any poster could get a photo of him in action, and post it up here?:)

The gardai are aware of him and are monitoring him. Several complaints have been made against him.

How often does he get his speed camera calibrated?

are you sure your not the speed camera man?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This forum is not ok with discussion private individuals.
    Particularly in a derogatory manner and getting some sly digs in.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement