Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issuing fines to an employee

Options
  • 20-02-2017 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Evening all

Can an employer issue a monetary fine for failure to wear personal protective equipment such as hard hats?

I fairly sure this would be illegal under employment legislation but if anyone could point me in the direction of the relevant act it would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Scudges Da wrote: »
    Evening all

Can an employer issue a monetary fine for failure to wear personal protective equipment such as hard hats?

I fairly sure this would be illegal under employment legislation but if anyone could point me in the direction of the relevant act it would be much appreciated.

I've never heard of it anyway, usually disciplinary procedures with potential dismissal if it's a serious and consistent breach of health and safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Wow, never heard of this.

Wonder is employee definitely direct employee or working as contractor??

What does contract or discipline procedure say ??

It's straying very far from the recommended fair procedure of warnings leading to termination.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

I suspect that this is related to the Red Card / Yellow Card system used by some main contractors on building site. Yellow cards attract a fine of €100-200, red cards typically around €500. the fines are imposed on the subcontractor for breaches of health and safety- in this case failure to wear PPE.
    I suspect that the employer can't pass the fine of to an employee but the employee is liable to other disciplinary procedures such as being sent home without pay, up to dismissal. it's also likely that subcontractors can be ruled out of getting further work based on the number of cards awarded to them so it has long term consequences for both employers and employees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

I've seen lads being sent off site and not allowed return because of repeated failure to wear hard hats.
    Failing to comply with H+S measures won't be looked on too kindly ans can warrant dismissal.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Places I've worked would throw you off site and you Would be out if a job or down a few days wages

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Scudges Da wrote: »
    Evening all

A principle contractor can fine a subcontractor.
    I would consider that a failure to wear personal protective equipment as a cause for dismissal in an employer employee situation but the situations in which an employer can make a deduction from wages is set out in section 5 of the payment of wages act 1991.

Advertisement