Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D1000 bridging and parental control replacement

Options
  • 20-02-2017 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭

Hi .
    I have 2d1000 modems and one is bridged allowing access to remote parts of the home .

The bridges d1000 seems intermittently to have effects on a lg smart TVs and a Samsung phone . Not allowing connection or not allowing internet access . So it works but not soundly .

I'd like to replace the bridged d1000 with a router with built in parental controls . Or possibly replace both of the d1000s . Any thoughts anyone ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Hi .
    I have 2d1000 modems and one is bridged allowing access to remote parts of the home .

The bridges d1000 seems intermittently to have effects on a lg smart TVs and a Samsung phone . Not allowing connection or not allowing internet access . So it works but not soundly .

I'd like to replace the bridged d1000 with a router with built in parental controls . Or possibly replace both of the d1000s . Any thoughts anyone ?

I think you are incorrectly using the term bridge in this and other threads. If you turn a D1000 into a bridge you would set it to bridge mode in the firmware and it becomes a modem only, this disables all routing and wireless.

The term I think you are after is access point. To make a router function like an access point you disable DHCP and just use the LAN ports. You use an access point to extend your wired network wirelessly. Is this what you have?

Then there is a wireless bridge, a wireless bridge is the opposite to an access point, it's radio connects to your existing wireless network and you connect your end devices to it using Ethernet. You cannot do this with a D1000 as it's not a function offered in the firmware, it's just not possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

I think you are incorrectly using the term bridge in this and other threads. If you turn a D1000 into a bridge you would set it to bridge mode in the firmware and it becomes a modem only, this disables all routing and wireless.

The term I think you are after is access point. To make a router function like an access point you disable DHCP and just use the LAN ports. You use an access point to extend your wired network wirelessly. Is this what you have?

Then there is a wireless bridge, a wireless bridge is the opposite to an access point, it's radio connects to your existing wireless network and you connect your end devices to it using Ethernet. You cannot do this with a D1000 as it's not a function offered in the firmware, it's just not possible.

Thanks high horse
    That's weird . I disabled dhcp but had to turn on bridge mode to get it to work with wireless . To answer your question , I was trying to extend the wireless range but using a spare router . Then using the spare router as parental control .
    Weirdly it working some of the time .

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Stop using bridge mode.

Turn of DHCP, manually allocate the correct gateway and IPs, then itll work and you wont be dividing your house into three networks.

Deselected bridging mode and wifi flashes on the d1000 but the internet does not .
    It is however allowing internet access . Better wait till tonight and see if all users are happy

Deselected bridging mode and wifi flashes on the d1000 but the internet does not .
    It is however allowing internet access . Better wait till tonight and see if all users are happy

• Advertisement

You will not get internet light when using as an AP

If I put a few pics up . I hope you might see my errors .

- I changed the up from 192.168.1.264 to 192.168.1.263 in the home networking
    - in wireless I kept a different ssid only and kept enabled wireless
    -in broadband I didn't change anything and this might be where my problem is

192.168.1.263 is not a valid IP

• Advertisement

If I put a few pics up . I hope you might see my errors .

- I changed the up from 192.168.1.264 to 192.168.1.263 in the home networking
    - in wireless I kept a different ssid only and kept enabled wireless
    -in broadband I didn't change anything and this might be where my problem is

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B16d6DtGU_

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B16d6DtGUWs_

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B16d6DtGU_

Sorry o can't post pictures due to files above 4 mb

192.168.1.263 is not a valid IP

Sorry that was meant to be 253

Thanks again for the help esp, high horse .

That all looks fine. If you give it the same SSID and encryption as your main wireless router your end devices will roam.

The errors you will be getting on the D1000 will be related to PPPoE not being able to login through the WAN port (internet or DSL port) you are now not using and you have no way to disable the WAN port. Ignore them. This is the trouble with using a device like this and not buying an access point. It's not it's intended purpose, it's a crippled device designed to be a modem only.

Advertisement