Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

replacement rifle

Options
  • 20-02-2017 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭

I went to a gun dealer about buying a rifle, had a look, few options, whether I go to him or not, I'm planning on getting a replacement.
    I was thinking to substitute for my old licence rather than reapply, will this be quicker than applying fresh? and does it cost anything? Would I have to pay 80 for the new rifle if I substitute the licence? as there is a year left on it.
    If I still have to pay the full 80, it seems a waste of the existing licence as I could try sell the old rifle in that time. Both rifles are unrestricted and the same type and use.
    And
    the dealer told me if substituting, I have to hand him my old rifle, I told him I planned to give any serial numbered parts and the barrel to the Gardai after Id stripped it of anything useful. maybe not to my local station, but if this is possible to a firearms licencing dept?

The dealer told me, I couldnt even strip it myself, which I consider a bit much, he claims this is the law now. {rereading this didnt make sense so editted the content} I believed I could do the breakup myself, but it seemed more like he was trying to get my old rifle for nothing. Ive spoken to other gun owners and Ive never heard what he said, I have heard, once the serial numbered items are disposed of correctly, which I always considered to mean hand to gardai, that you can remove and keep the rest.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

The destruction of a fire arm must be done by a Registered Firearms Dealer, the days of handing in unwanted firearms for the Gaurds to dispose of are gone. I'm not sure of the potential deal between you and the gundealer but be aware they on average charge €50 for the destruction of said gun.

You can substitute you firearm like for like. The last two where done with in months of the substituted ones renewal dates, by coincidence not design. While the substitution was been handled the renewal forms arrived in the post. Shortly after that my new gun license arrived, they will state substitution and with in a week of that a renewal form for the 'new gun' arrived that corresponded with the original guns renewal dates, if you follow?
    So I just paid once for the renewal fee and that was that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

Ok,
    But whatever of the destruction of the rifle, something Im reluctant to do uneccesarily, can I strip the rifle and hand the barrel and bolt to the gun dealer then? I wouldnt be destroying anything, just removing parts like the stock, sights, trigger and magazine. To say someone couldnt remove the magazine would have to be seen as nonsensicle, why couldnt that apply to the sights or the stock?
    It seems like it might be better for me to keep my existing rifle and just try sell it in the year left on the licence, I havent timed this to occur near the end date of my licence, its just I started looking for a replacement now.

Some one here more knowledgeable than me may be able to comment on what are or are not component parts of a firearm that comes under the Act. I would assume that stocks, magazines and sights would be ok, as we can import them with out any legal paper trail.

If you intend to have the rifle destroyed well then only give the dealer the parts he is required to destroy, IMO - barreled action complete with the bolt.

If you don't mind me asking, is the gun no longer in a fit state for use and are you intending to replace like for like - make & model.

Just being nosy.

I was told I couldnt even replace a stock now, which seemed more far fetched, the way the whole thing went, it was hard to tell with the person and put me off him a bit.

Its not that the rifle is not in a fit state for use, Ive fired it recently and have put some new parts on it, its old and works but, Id like something newer that I can upgrade and get parts for more easily, its kind of an interesting rifle and I quite like it in some ways but Im not sure how much use it will get if Im buying something better. Plus I thought I could sell on some parts if the whole rifle didnt sell, parts I could keep if I turned in the licence.
    I may end up keeping it now, at least until the renewal comes up which gives me some time, it may even be cheaper. overall, Id prefer not destroy a functional rifle if it doesnt sell.

I dont intend to buy the same again, Im going to buy something either new or secondhand that is still available/parts are available for more readily.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭DogfoxCork

This sounds ridiculous! Just give him the barrel and bolt!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭RossiFan08

If the gun is still functioning properly why not trade it into the dealer against your new purchase.

If the dealer you went to won't take it another one will

it does sound ridiculous, and why I enquired, but it turns out it does look like handing some parts to an RFD are whats required, not to the extent the dealer told me, for what purpose I dont know.
    I had thought I could take the serial numbered parts/barrel to the gardai for disposal, wasnt sure.
    I'll privately sell or trade it to another dealer, might keep it till the licence runs out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I'd never ever destroy a working gun. Sell it or even give it away rather than destroy it if you don't want it.

You can advertise it for free here on boards.ie.

If you have a year left on your licence, then the substitution is free but you'll only have a year on your new licence if it's granted. It's usually easy to do once the guns are similar.

By the way, and I'm speaking from experience here, don't always believe what gun dealers tell you. Same goes for the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Captainaxiom

What type of gun is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

For the sake of 27 euro a year, keep it and advertise it yourself. You have a year to find a buyer.(as long as it doesn't hinder the grant of your new gun)
    Local Sargent was dropping hints about total number of guns, when I changed my rifle a few years ago.

• Advertisement

What type of gun is it.

its an old semi auto, looking to get a ruger 10/22 or similar new or secondhand

1874 wrote: »
    its an old semi auto, looking to get a ruger 10/22 or similar new or secondhand

Make and model would be handy, you never know you may have a keeper there........remember Dell Boy and the old pocket watch!!!

Advertisement