Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

In laws making my life hell, what options are left?

• 20-02-2017 8:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

So this is going to be long, sorry in advance.

I have been with my partner for three years. Lived together for two. We are both in our mid twenties.

We had our own issues at the beginning of the relationship, it was the first time he was with someone seriously and didn't handle it very well. There were issues with other girls and lies but never cheating. This is a story for another day.

We sorted that out as soon as it happened and we were in a better place than ever once it was all over with mutual trust and a happy life.

About a month or two after we moved in together, the issues started. Mainly his mother to begin with. She constantly put him down even when he lived at home, saying he was fat and disgusting, stupid, embarrassing and a disappointment.

She never openly said anything against me until maybe a year after the move in. She rang him one night asking why he doesn't visit anymore. He explained he visits as much as possible but we were both working shift work/weekends at the time so any time we did have a rare day off together we would go out and do something for the day. He never stopped contact and if he did have a day to himself he would visit them.

After he explained this she started saying I was keeping him from his family. This was out of the blue as I have never been involved with their issues. I kept well away. She was screaming over to the phone to the point I could hear what she was saying about me so I asked to speak to her to clear things up. I was extremely polite and didn't get angry as I didn't see why it couldn't be resolved. She came on the phone and started screaming that I was a horrible person, our house was filthy (she had visited once and there is nothing wrong with where we lived at the time) that I was a terrible girlfriend and started saying things like I was kicked out of home and school (both of which never happened, I actually sent her my exam results showing I finished school and she has met my mother since who clarified I have never been kicked out of home and this was ridiculous. I know I didn't even have to do that but I stupidly thought it would stop the lies) This went on, screaming for over ten minutes and when I asked her to speak to me with respect instead of shouting and to stop telling lies she said ' I can do what I want at my age and you have no choice but to listen'. At which point I handed the phone back to my partner because it was going nowhere. She the ended the conversation with 'I wont stop until I break you up'

Six months later, I hadn't spoke to her for obvious reasons. I spoke to his dad occasionally when he visited and everytime he did he would say she feels so bad and guilty and she knows she was wrong can you forgive her. I gave in and for my boyfriends sake said yeah forget it ever happened. So she came to the house on xmas day and said 'I'm sorry for what I did I was just saying it out of care and I want us to be friends'

Great. I let it go because what use was it carrying on arguments. I want to be with this man so if I have to grin and bear it this once it's fine.

So a few months on again, she started doing the same thing. It came out of nowhere. The xmas she visited, we had just moved into a new house together (his parents gave him an ultimatum and said if we didn't move into a house that they approved of then they would make sure he comes home. He was 23 at this point to be told this by his parents....)

A lovely house, I paid half the deposit because I had rented on my own for a few years prior, he didn't have a deposit to fall back on so his parents paid his half. Again, their business, I didn't get involved.

So, when this happened she then started saying our new house was filthy. Having just moved in and doing two hours housework every evening, I know it wasn't and no one else visiting had an issue, even his father admitted there was nothing wrong.

So she kept this going for a few months, saying he needed to lose weight and that he looks homeless and he is a failure.

This alone has had such an impact on his self esteem and he got very down about it. I have worked for the last ten years straight, and last year was signed off work for anxiety disorder and agoraphobia. I left work under doctors supervision and I am attending counselling and using medication to hopefully become well again. In this time I have been no means lazy, I am up at 7am each day cleaning or doing things and helping my boyfriend as he works from home. I volunteer and do as many things I can to try and learn how to be out of the house again and a normal functioning person.

In response to this, his mother called me lazy and a waster. When I explained why I was at home she said I was lying and there was nothing wrong with me to 'cop on'. She didn't believe I was seeing a doctor and demanded seeing my medication, which I showed. She then rang my mother behind my back (they had never spoke before, I am from a county a few hrs away. She found her workplace on FB and rang her there telling her I was lying about all these issues. Me and my mother speak daily so naturally she already knew about everything and made her look very stupid.) After this as she was proven wrong once again, she came to our house and apologised and again, said it was out of concern for us.

So ONCE AGAIN I said ok it's done now lets move on. Me and my mother have always talked about this and she always advises me to take the high road and be courteous because it will just give her another reason to hate me if I stand up for myself. So that's what I have done.

Until now. We were invited for dinner two months ago, we were twenty mins late as BF was ill and had fallen asleep on the sofa. He apologised profusely and explained why he was late. To which she turned and started screaming in my face. I simply said thanks for dinner but I'm not staying here to be shouted at and belittled. I left and he followed shortly after.

After this, she said nothing for a few weeks. She text him at 2am one night to ask him 'if he was alive and why he hasn't spoke or visited' he said sorry I got the impression after the last day you were starting an argument again and I don't want any drama. To which she replied you are a disappointment and I hope you fail at your new job like you do everything else. He replied he was trying to sleep and she abused him with ten messages of the same until morning. He had turned his phone and slept as he was up for work at 7am. Then at 8am when he seen the messages she said he was immature and disrespectful for not replying... He just ignored it.

Fast forward to this weekend. He gets a text from his dad saying he needs to stop acting this way and shutting his family out. He replied with all the things his mother has been saying over the phone and in messages and that we are both adults trying to get on with our life, we do not want drama or arguments over absolutely nothing. His dad then went on to repeat exactly what his mothers messages said 'You are a disappointment to me I'm sorry you turned out like this I am embarrassed to call you my son.

He didn't reply because he drew the line at arguing with his father. He reached out to him for help with his mother once before and his father sat crying saying it was wrong and he was so sorry and he'll try to fix it.

Two hours later when his father got home, he called him saying I can't believe I was upset, you're lying about your mother and making me out to be a fool. We have all of these messages etc saved so it isn't like it was a lie that we made up. He was there when she was screaming in my face and just sat with his head down.

The straw that broke the camels back is when his 20year old sister text him saying ' You're a fat disgusting mess. You have one income in your filthy house and you think you are doing well at 25? You should have more respect.' He replied saying this is nothing to do with her, he has issues with his parents and he would appreciate if she didn't get involved. This ended with name calling and cursing on her end. Not sure if this was actually her or she is being influenced but it's the one thing that broke him because she never speaks to him except in passing, has never been in our house, and would not know our financial situation.

All that being said, EVEN if the stuff they were saying is true, it isn't their business whatsoever. But at the same time, they will visit one month and say the house is so lovely and clean and pretty and then a week later a text will come in the middle of the night calling it damp and filthy.

I don't even know what I'm hoping from posting this here, I'm just at my wits end. I have never once been disrespectful to anyone in the family. I have always been polite and even when I was screamed at those times, I stayed quiet and said ok lets move on and forget it happened. Maybe that was the mistake, if I stood up for myself the first time maybe it wouldn't have gone this far...

We are very happy together, we love our home, and my boyfriend has a very good job which he started last month. His old job was not bad by any means but this is better ours and higher fixed salary. I was working full time up until a few months ago as a manager.

Anyway sorry if you did make it to the end. Any advice would be great but really just needed to get it off my chest. Don't think if I read this myself I would even believe it, it's that insane.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

I'm not one to recommend turning your back on family, but there's no doubt about it - your mother in law sounds like a terrible person to have to interract with, if not downright abusive. And I suspect that your partner has been subject to this abuse for much of, if not all of his life. If you're looking for reasons why all this is happening, it may be a futile mission. Some people they don't need an actual reason apart from jealousy that their child has someone else who is significant in their child's life, and I suspect that's the case here.

I appreciate that you are going above and beyond in terms of maintaining some form of civility with you mother in law for the sake of your partner, but one thing you need to remember is you don't have to have a relationship with this person. Your partner of course can have a relationship with her, but you don't have to be a part of it. The onus is on her now to make an effort to be a part of your life, not the other way round.

My bigger concern in your situation would be the strain it puts on your relationship, so in that respect it's good that both you and your partner are more on less the same page in terms of a united front against her carry on. That being said, your partner has endured this for many years to the point where it has affected his self esteem, so you may have to accept that you won't always get the immediate support that you want, while he tries to balance his feeling on his mother's actions, coupled witht he guilt of trying to maintain a relationship with his father.

My advice for now would be to leave his mother to him. Simply put, don't have anything to do with the woman. Ignore the abusive phone calls and texts, or hang up on them. Let your partner deal with her - he can choose if he wants you spend time with her or ignore her - you just don't have to be a part of it. Focus on your own relationship, and be supportive to him as he needs it.

One thing I would look into though, for the sake of your financial security, is the details of the deposit for your house. Did your partner sign anything in terms of the money lent to him by them? Or is it just a verbal agreement? My concern is that they might see that money as their foot in the door, and try to use it as leverage to keep him in line, or 'make sure he comes home'...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

I don't understand why you are engaging with them. Yourself and your boyfriend should focus on your own relationship and future and forget about them. Stop answering calls and block their numbers, that might seem harsh but it might help your physical and mental health and get you off the medication that you need to control the anxiety and stress they are causing you.
    One thing I would be worried about which a previous poster mentioned is your financial security and the loan his parents gave your OH for the deposit on your house. I really hope a solicitor was involved in this agreement and that he is paying them back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Agree with previous posters - I'm not sure why you and he are engaging with them. It's none of their business what medication you are on, just to pick one example.
    They sound very messed up, tbh. I suggest as pp have said, block calls and texts, don't allow them past the door if they arrive.

Focus on your own health. Rest, relax, focus on your well being. You both are using a lot of energy on them, and really the best thing all around would be to have nothing to do with them.

You mention a deposit, I'm not sure of this is a deposit for a rental? I hope so, for your sake. You both need to get these people out of your lives, so hopefully your finances are not in any way entwined with theirs. If he has a better job now, I would be doing my utmost to get whatever money they gave, back to them ASAP.

Seriously, give yourselves a break from them. They are adding nothing positive to your lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi everyone thanks for your replies

I know it sounds insane. He has always contacted them back because when he didn't in the past, I got blamed for manipulating him or they acted even worse after. He had felt guilty for a while because it is his family and it upset him but he does know how toxic and abnormal this is.

On the financial front, he had saved 10,000 in his course of working at home. When he still lived there they suggested he put it in their account in case it ever affected him (?) and it is now in savings bonds without his permission. Yes he was stupid to sign it over but he was still living there at the time and believed it was in his interest. When we moved out he asked for this to use as a deposit (rental) and his parents said oh don't mind that we will lend it to you, keep that for the future.

So he is independent as he has allowed to be I suppose. He has accepted he probably will never see this money again and can't do anything legally because he was silly enough to trust them.

If we don't contact them they show up at our door at all hours / tell lies about us like before. I know it seems crazy about the exam results etc but I naively thought if I could prove she was lying everyone would see what was going on...

Thanks again for replies and sticking through the long post....

Oh yeah, I didn't get my mother actively involved at all, I wouldn't bother her with it.. She was contacted by his mother and they had never spoke before. His mother quizzed her on these things because she didn't believe me..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,616 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I would recommend your boyfriend attend counselling sooner rather than later.
    These people could eventually wear him down with their behaviour, if he continues to interact with them.
    And they're not going to change any time soon.
    No adult should "have to" move into a house just because their parents say so.
    Seriously - not only is this bullying, but to call their son and brother disappointing, fat, an embarrassment, stupid, disgusting ? And repeatedly?
    Fair play to him that he has any self esteem.

Look after yourself and I hope your health improves.
    Life is too precious to spend it with negative people like these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

It sounds like you have a healthy relationship with your own parents which has left you very much at a loss when it comes to dealing with a manipulative, abusive and toxic parent. You cannot deal with a person like that in a calm, reasonable fashion and expect to receive a similar response. At this stage it sounds like the relationship between your partner and his mother is pretty much beyond repair and the only option for his and your mental health is to have as little contact as possible.

I should say I have no personal experience with this kind of person but I have read many people's accounts of growing up with parents like this; they don't change. They will use every and any emotional tool to manipulate and control those around them.

I know there is a book that is very widely recommended for people who grew up with this kind of parent as a guide to recognising and dealing with their situation, I think it's this one but I'm not 100% sure:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0553381407/

On re-reading your OP it is clear that she is trying to establish the same abusive control over you too - stay away, tell her nothing, do not justify yourself to her; everything you tell her will be turned into a weapon against you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

I would recommend your boyfriend attend counselling sooner rather than later.
    These people could eventually wear him down with their behaviour, if he continues to interact with them.
    And they're not going to change any time soon.
    No adult should "have to" move into a house just because their parents say so.
    Seriously - not only is this bullying, but to call their son and brother disappointing, fat, an embarrassment, stupid, disgusting ? And repeatedly?
    Fair play to him that he has any self esteem.

Look after yourself and I hope your health improves.
    Life is too precious to spend it with negative people like these.

I agree 100%. I think you both need counselling to deal with his family's behaviour. His mother sounds like a toxic narcissist and his father is enabling him. His sister is backing them up so they don't give her a hard time.

If your boyfriend has been subjected to this abuse all his life he is doing extremely well to be ALIVE let alone hold down a job. I hope you are just renting because you need to get as far away from these people as possible. This may not happen today or tomorrow because your boyfriend needs a lot of help. He is like a soldier who has lived with hostile fire and he still isn't out of the battle zone even though he is slightly further away.

His mother seems to have a vested interest in abusing him and keeping him as her verbal punchbag.

Is it possible for you both to block his family's numbers on your phones. They will probably still be able to leave messages and you will know when they called. I had to do this with some members of my family.

If you do plan to go away I would advise you both to keep quiet about it for as long as possible. Otherwise his mother or father will get ill and you will be able to go nowhere. Illlness is used as a chain to stop people from getting away in families like this. I have personal experience of it and every day I regret not leaving the country when I was younger because I am trapped now. I don't live with my parents but they are both getting older and I cannot leave ailing elderly parents even though one is extremely abusive.

The abuse impacted on my health (I have chronic fatigue and autoimmune disease), my career (I was not able to forge ahead because of my parents needs over the decades) and relationships (nobody would stick around because of the way my parents demanded my time and the way the family situation upset me).

You are an angel for standing by your boyfriend in this situation - very few people would have done so. He needs to be gently guided away from his family into a safer and healthier space. It needs to be done for your sake as well - it would not surprise me if the stress of his family has contributed to your illness.

Narcissism in families is a bit of a hobby horse for me but I have experienced it first hand and can see it a mile off. Here is a link that you might find helpful.
    https://narcfamilyoutsider.wordpress.com/2013/12/20/the-narcissistic-family-structure/

Here are some links about how such families use money as a tool for manipulation:
    https://narcfamilyoutsider.wordpress.com/2014/07/21/family-narcissists-and-financial-manipulation-part-1/
    https://narcfamilyoutsider.wordpress.com/2014/07/21/family-narcissists-and-financial-manipulation-part-1/
    https://narcfamilyoutsider.wordpress.com/2014/11/22/family-narcissists-and-financial-manipulation-part-3/

Take care, both of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭valoren

She constantly put him down even when he lived at home, saying he was fat and disgusting, stupid, embarrassing and a disappointment.

Let me take a wild guess. Is the MIL; overweight, unkempt, not the brightest, socially awkward, unprofessional?

My immediate reaction is that this is about possessive control.

The only way to deal with toxic people is to not deal with them.
    The mother in law is a bully. Of your boyfriend, of you, of her doormat of a husband, of her family.

From what you have written this is absolutely crazy behaviour.
    She has a vendetta to split you both up.

The key to dealing with such people is to cut ties permanently.
    To not give her the oxygen. 10 abusive texts late at night?
    If he can't see how deranged that is then he needs your support.

Your MIL is not going to change. Stop placating her abuse.
    The key here is your boyfriend. He has had his self esteem stripped away over the years.
    He either continues to be a doormat for her or he can confront it.
    He knows that once he confronts it then it will effectively mean that his relationship with his family is over.
    That's never easy. But from reading your post he must accept that reality for his own mental health.

Again, the MIL will never change. She will twist, manipulate, exploit everything. You will both be at fault.
    You will be the one who broke the family apart, it will be you who is the abusive bully etc.

He must stand on his own two feet. He needs to grow a pair and confront it. He'll thank himself in the long run because once you rid yourself of toxic people, life becomes much more bearable and enjoyable.

Hi everyone thanks for your replies

I know it sounds insane. He has always contacted them back because when he didn't in the past, I got blamed for manipulating him or they acted even worse after. He had felt guilty for a while because it is his family and it upset him but he does know how toxic and abnormal this is.

On the financial front, he had saved 10,000 in his course of working at home. When he still lived there they suggested he put it in their account in case it ever affected him (?) and it is now in savings bonds without his permission. Yes he was stupid to sign it over but he was still living there at the time and believed it was in his interest. When we moved out he asked for this to use as a deposit (rental) and his parents said oh don't mind that we will lend it to you, keep that for the future.

So he is independent as he has allowed to be I suppose. He has accepted he probably will never see this money again and can't do anything legally because he was silly enough to trust them.

If we don't contact them they show up at our door at all hours / tell lies about us like before. I know it seems crazy about the exam results etc but I naively thought if I could prove she was lying everyone would see what was going on...

Thanks again for replies and sticking through the long post....

This is financial abuse and I would advise him to get legal advice on it. How much did the parents "give" him for the deposit? He owes them nothing, in fact they owe him the balance of the €10,000 if the deposit was less than that.

It will be difficult for your boyfriend to "grow a pair" and stand up to his family overnight. He has been subjected to crippling abuse all his life and he is only taking baby steps forward now. Instead of supporting him and encouraging him like normal parents, his parents have sabotaged him at every step including taking his money to ensure he didn't travel or go too far away. If the situation is bad enough he may have to cut his losses with the money and get as far away from them as possible and never contact them again. In this case the money lost could be the best money he ever spent.
    ....... wrote: »

This is a bit harsh. He does not know any different. He has been subject to relentless abuse all his life and cannot see a way out at the moment. He does not realise that he has the right to live a peaceful autonomous life of his own choosing. He needs counselling to see that. He also needs a loving supportive environment. He has that with the OP at the moment but his mother is hell bent on destroying his relationship so she can have him all to herself to abuse without any interruption. There may be lulls and breaks in the abuse but that is only to give him a false sense of security so he'll talk to them again or worse, go back to them so they can abuse him more. Think of a cat playing with a mouse before killing it only in this case the cat doesn't want to kill the mouse, just keep it around for the fun of torturing it. Putting his money into savings bonds is also a tactic to keep him from leading his own life. This family is dangerously toxic.

Thank you everyone

We just read through the replies together and honestly some of them brought us to tears. I think the sheer relief of knowing we aren't going crazy and hearing it from an outside perspective really helps.... The deposit was 650 thereabouts, he was paid the majority back as far as I'm aware if not all. He was paying 100 a week to them for a while and they would definitely make it known if anything else was owed....

He does stand up to them and he doesn't choose to interact they just corner him into a position that he eventually gives up because fighting it has cost us both our mental health and he just gets to the point that he doesn't want to deal with it... He is on the waiting list for his counsellor at the moment and I have been going for a few months. It is helping and I am eager for him to get started.

I have helped as much as possible to build his self esteem back up, and he has gotten a lot better, but as soon as something happens it's gone straight back to zero again. It really isn't fair on him, to hear this from anyone... No one has a right to speak to another like that especially a parent. That's why it hurts him so much because if it was just a friend or something it wouldn't matter but I can imagine your own mother and father saying those things is horrible to deal with...

He has never rebelled against them in the past, he was a great student, always done what he was told at home, never got into trouble with anything. Then when he moved out after a while, and after visiting home with me and seeing how his other friends are treated by their parents he kinda seen it wasn't normal... Then when he did start telling them where to go she associated it with me and he kinda just went with it for peace sake as we both had enough on our plates...The wrong thing to do but we know that now.

I was only allowed to see parts at first because his mother is VERY obsessed with image. Not particularly in a vain way, just things like why are you wearing that? Why have you gained weight? imagine if someone seen you and knew you were our son, it reflects on us so badly. Again, he doesn't be out partying or causing trouble or doing drugs or murdering anyone, we have a relatively quiet life see friends regularly but don't go out drinking often and not into partying. I would understand if he was doing something actually bad and she said this but it's always over stupid things. She once sat me down and gave me makeup samples in her house, I said I didn't want them as I don't wear a whole lot of makeup daily and it would be wasted on me but thanks. Her response was women should always look beautiful...Her two daughters wear a lot of makeup ie full contour and fake eyelashes everyday. I was never and never will be like that and I'm fine with that.

She called me a slut when we first met because I had a boyfriend before him. One boyfriend, long term. I was young and stupid, granted, but none of her business in the first place. He was with a lot of girls before me but never in a relationship. When I said this she said well that's what young lads do...But called me a slut for having one boyfriend.

She said it would reflect badly on their family for him to be with 'someone like me from my background' . What she means by this is both my parents have always been employed with a trade, they never went to college. I got accepted to a course in university and because we are from a tiny rural area, college was hours away, so I moved out at 18 and got a job. I have applied through cao this year and really want to go, but she has always said I am not good enough because of this. Him, and his sisters, have all had their fees paid etc by the family. They are in extremely lucky place and I wish they knew not everyone has that privilege......

Her answer to everything is 'if people saw you and knew you were our son they'd be horrified' There is nothing wrong with either of us, I am proud of how much he has grown since we met and also myself because I'm trying my best to get better. They don't see it that way....

Sorry if this is going on its just I never really told anyone about everything and now that it's started coming out it wont stop..

Oh and I forgot to say on the college front, he did go to college for three years but absolutely despised it and didn't finish his final year. They picked the cao course for him and they gave him an ultimatum they would only help him with fees if he picked that course...

They have always held that against him so I guess that adds to the 'disappointment'

Sorry to hear about the problems you are having with your in laws. I have similar issues with my mother in law. She acts slightly different, overly nice when anyone visits. She was like this with me for the first few years. But I knew the truth. For years she physically and mentally abused my husband and his brother. So I could never be too friendly with her. She knew I didnt like her so turned out she was complaining about me all this time to my father in law.

It came to a head after I had a baby when they complained I intentionally delayed my return home with the baby from the hospital just to inconvenience them. Also had an issue with his sister (I posted about it at the time when she lived with us) they accused me of insulting his sister by asking her to wash her hands before holding the new baby. Then she intended to live with us two weeks after we had the baby which I said couldnt happen as I was breastfeeding and she also never asked just assumed she could come and go in our house as needed, she hadnt even text to say congrats on the baby!

So they rang my husband and basically told them I was the biggest b***h in the world and had disrespected them all and they wanted to never see any of us again. It caused massive arguments between myself and my husband as he loves his dad and always wants contact with him. So just as he was coming to realise she was toxic and he should stay away they get in contact again.. after six weeks. And pretend nothing happened at all and wanted to see the baby. So I had to watch this horrible woman hold my baby and pretend to be a great grandmother.

The only reason I am writing all this is I think you will have the same problems as me. My husband knows life would be better without ever speaking to his mother again. It is what his brother has done, but he lives abroad so its easier done. But he can't leave his father. Even though his father is partly to blame for their treatment as children by standing by and letting it happen.

I was very upset that he was willing to allow her near our baby after what happened but I had no choice. It had to be his decision whether to stay in contact with his family or not.

We will never leave our child alone with her and their visits are limited but as long as his father is alive our lives will be affected by her and her actions. She obviously suffers from a narcissistic personality.

The main thing I have realised is as much as it make me anxious and upset to have to deal with his family, I am doing it as an adult. He had to deal with when he was a child. So the best I can do as his partner is to support him. He cannot change who is parents are. What ever way it affects me or you is minor compared to what they are going through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,616 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

As a parent of adult children reading this, I can tell you the vast majority of parents do NOT treat their children like this.

For the record, I think you both tell them far too much. Not to mention if anyone dared call me a slut, I'd never ever engage in conversation with them again.

It doesn't matter how they see you, what matters is how you are together and how you see yourselves going forward.
    If you continue to let her -as she seems to be the ringleader here -treat you like this, you could be posting on here in a decade with the same issues.

Time to make serious changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Never ever let yourself believe that you need to justify anything about yourself to this woman, nothing you or he can do will make her stop - she'll just find some other perceived flaw or failure to beat you down with. She does not want either of you to be happy or successful or independent.

One thing, is the house in the same rural area you grew up in and is it near his parents? If so, it may be more difficult to maintain the kind of distance you'll need for your partner to start to recover from what he's had to endure :(

If it's any help at all, this internet stranger is rooting for you both - stand together and get out of this awful situation!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 14,473 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I agree, you give this woman far too much rope. She has you and your mother dancing to her tune and you barely know her. What chance has her poor son got who has this bred into him and has lived his entire life thinking this is "normal"?

He has grown up with this woman and her madness his whole life. She's his mother and he still has a loyalty to her and a trust in her. You don't. Humouring her when she called you a slut? Sending her your leaving results? Moving house to where she decided? Trying to reason with her? You're trying to reason with an unreasonable woman. And it doesn't matter whether you talk to her or not, she will spread sht and lies about you. So why bother?

At least if you just ignore her, block her, refuse to be in her company then it won't matter what she says about you, you won't hear it. Don't listen to abusive calls from any of his family. Ignore / delete / block texts from them. Tell your bf not to pass on messages. He will deal with this in his own way, and someday might tell her to f off. But that's up to him, and a lifetime of this behaviour. You have no ties or loyalty to her, so cutting her off will be easier for you. Don't visit her. Ask your bf to not have her in your house, or at least not when you are there.

He needs to deal with her his way, and you need to support that. But you need to deal with her your way, and he should equally support that he. He can continue to have a relationship with her. You can decide not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CowboyBillyBob

So many different angles and opinions to approach this from, must have written the first sentence half dozen times at this stage but time to dive right in.

From the original post to all the replies there are many different views but only one consensus.. that their behavior is extremely malicious and unfounded for the extent for whats happened previous.

I myself am asking why? Im sure many rush to the profanity corner of the dictionary for adjectives and while many might feel appropriate I still ask why? As had been pointed out its possibly obsessive control which I agree with but with a bad family history, when she sees others succeed where she has failed she is lashing out. If you (this relationship) turned him into a well rounded member of society, even tuned him into a noticeably happier person. It could have been taken as an attack on her ability to be a mother, and what do you do when you feel threatened, you lash out. Food for thought.

I believe there is no issue that cannot be solved with communication you just need to to find the right form, and as I write this many readers may think I am a naive idealist, I say... let me finish.

I am not saying your methods have been in anyway wrong, as from what I have read the patience level is to be commended but logic never wins against emotion. Or rather an emotional person isn't gonna wanna listen to logic. She is taking random facts and putting a spin on it so that you fit into her image of you, what she wants you to look like in her minds eye. And Im sure your boyfriend will agree living with that is not easy, so whats the easiest thing to do when your surrounded by that, if you can beat em join em, that would at least somewhat explain the families response, even taking the family bond out of the equation.

Many people have said cut ties... cut them off... put distance. And this could very well be the best course, but I for one don't think that its necessarily an ideal outcome. as the method of communication that could be necessary may be more damaging in the long run. I know I have never found cutting family to not have had a bad effect either. And at the very least will only fuel the fire of these manipulation they believe your up to.

In an ideal world you would sit down, speak from the heart and all would be well and good, obviously never gonna happen. All you can hope for is be honest and hope the other person listens. You cant make them listen.

In my book when you make a decision as long as you feel it is right by you, and your not hurting anybody then your doing ok, thats almost impossible in this situation so it just boils down to do what you think is right.

If it were me, I would do some sort of variation of the following.

Arrive at the house, ask to come in, ask to speak to the whole family, ask to speak without interruption and simply say exactly how this situation has made you fee the damage, it has caused. You are tired of fighting, feeling like crap and just the general stress it has caused. Tell them you are the verge of cutting ties completely if this continues the way it does. Any communication that is in anyway abusive will be met with silence. I do not want any reply I want everybody to think about it and you can all decide how you wanna handle it as a group or individually and you can feel free to invite me back here to further discuss. And then leave.

If at any point someone interrupts you say if I am interrupted again I would like to leave and I will send a letter detailing what you were going to say. If it does leave obviously.

Obviously vary on however you feel is appropriate to your family.

Again I fear being called an idealist but you know to me thats reasonable last ditch effort that you can then walk away from them without feeling like you could have done more. At least that will settle any doubts you may have.

I will stop here as I am not the best at writing and have been in and out of paragraphs trying to get my thoughts across.

Just my two cents...

In 758 words....

That sounds lovely above except you're not dealing with reasonable people. And after the insults op has received its just telling them you can be treated this way.
    The mother is obviously some kind of narcissist. There is no reasoning or communicating with them and while they might play nice for a while it'll soon be back to old tricks.
    Cut them off, stop humouring them, leave it at that. If you can't do that at least stop giving them info! Everything is grand, no news, talk to you, bye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

Hi OP, I completely echo all of Emme's comments. Unless you've ever experienced it, it's hard to explain the chaos that ensues when dealing with a narcissistic parent.

It's easy to say cut all ties, but that means cutting ties with siblings too, as well as the other parent, which can be lonely and distressing. As Emme says, creating the distance takes time, counselling, support and bravery.

For you, I would agree that you should interact with her as little as possible and crucially, tell her nothing. Unfortunately, this applies to his Dad and siblings too, as she will cajole the information out of them, if you confide in them about your plans. And definitely don't criticise her to them, she'll find out and everything will just get worse. Years of mind control can leave family members totally brainwashed and unable to see the real culprit.

I also have experience of such a person, though not a parent thankfully, and know how hard it is to make sense out of the chaos. The narcissist can lie, charm, manipulate, threaten, all in the same day! It's head-wrecking and confusing and it took me years to figure out what was going on and how to distance and protect myself. Everyone in the family will deal with it differently, hence the lack of support from his sister, they're all just trying to survive as best they can. Also, from my own research and observations, there can be a genetic component so his sister may have the same traits (sadly).

Keep learning about the condition and you'll be better able to withstand and understand what's really going on. Good luck to both of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

Reading the start of the thread, I knew it wouldn't end well.

It's a typical dysfunctional family. There is nothing you can do or say to these types of people. The issues were there long before you came along, it has nothing to with you. Your boyfriend is the scapegoat of the family, the sister sounds like the golden child who learned that she can put him down. There is absolutely nothing that can be done with these. They have to want to change their behaviour but they don't see anything wrong with their behaviour and they never will. You already found out that apologising means nothing to these people, they will keep it up. It's too late for the sister, she can do no wrong, her temperament has been set.

It's your boyfriend that needs help to move on from his family. He needs to get counselling and consider cutting them out because they don't offer anything good to him, just constant put downs.

My feeling is that his mother would always want things her way and would not like the neighbours talking about her. Sit down with your boyfriend and tell him he needs to get this €10,000 back from his parents - it is his money not therse and they are controling him.
    Figure out among her friends/family would tell the world that your boyfriend parents made them give up his savings to them. If his mother and father won't give this money back I would say to his mother I must tell x about this.
    If they still refuse to give back this money I would get legal advice.

My feeling is that his mother won't want her friends/family or local gossips finding this out.
    One of my friends has a mother who is a bit obessed with what other people think of her so at times my friend has used this in her favour this by saying - I must tell x what you said/did.

I watched a friend of mine trying to deal with her husbands toxic mother (Mary) who would be very like your boyfriends mother. She spent years trying to be nice to Mary.

One day my friend heard Mary saying a few nasty things about her and her family. She told her husband what she heard. He realised that it was time to speek up for himself, his wife and their children.
    He went to Mary house and her told her to get lost. She was told not to contact him or his wife and that she was no longer welcome in their home.

Today Mary is now in her early 70's. She has no realtionship with any of her children or grandchildren. She has no friends left either. Her relatives cross the street to aviod her. Even her neighbours won't talk to her due to what she said and did various people over the past few years.

My advice to you is to stay away from your boyfriends mother. If possible try and move away from the area you live in at the moment. Encourage your boyfriend to go to counselling as he needs this to move on with his own life.
    My feeling is that in time he will realise just what she is like. He may tell her to get lost in the future.

I know that you did not get a chance to go to college at 18 but you have applied now. At least you and him are willing to work hard and put in the work to improve things long term for you both. From what you told us your parents did not get a chance to go to college but they both worked hard.

Ask your boyfriend for his mother maden name and where she came from. If you know an older person from the same area just ask about her. I feel you will find out something in her past that she would not want people to know about ie she was poor growing up, she came from a rough area ect.

The next time she make a nasty comment you could let her know what you found out. You could always ask her where did she go to college - she could have left school at 14/15 with just the intercert (the old junior cert).

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭pointelle

wow, poor you, I know all about being treated by people in a way that simply beggars belief. It sounds as though the mum could have some problems she should really try to face. You seem grounded and strong, I hope you can all find some peace, he must be a great fella altogether!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

good god. is she actually a real human being? She sounds like something out of a children's book, the cartoonishly evil old witch. what an absolute dose.

i'd have to echo others when they ask why are you humouring her? and by humouring i mean even engaging or communicating with her at all. that in itself is giving her enough oxygen to continue in her mental ways. quit it, right now. no more house visits, no more trying to reason with her down the phone, no more being controlled by her by fearing what she'll do if you don't engage.

just. stop. engaging. anyone with a brain cell in their head can see she's mad as a box of badgers. let her tell her lies and ostracise you and try to poison your bf against you. he's well used to her by now. tell him he can do as he pleases but that your relationship with her is over because you're not going to take any more abuse or bullying. she might be his mother, but you didn't sign up for that and have your own mental health to protect.

that's what she is. a big fat self-obsessed sad old bully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Change your numbers.

• Advertisement

What seems to be happening here is that she has taken on a vendetta against you. She needs to get rid of you. She perceives you as a threat to her control on her son and her family. He is as others have said, a punching bag for them. A doormat for their abuse. Possessively, she sees him as hers. She is in effect bullying you out of the picture here. But don't for one second think of yourself as a victim. Or weak enough to be bullied. A bully will focus their ire on those they perceive as strong. In your case, you are confident, social and enjoy civil relationships with your family. He too sounds like an honest, hardworking guy, trying his best to placate his dangerous family. You have the power to enlighten him. And she must destroy that power you have.

You're not weak. You are a target. She will do whatever she has to do, say whatever she has to say to manipulate a split between you and your boyfriend. You threaten her control on him. She can plainly see you have the total capacity to enlighten him about her and her abusive behavior. He in all probability knows no better. He might think her treatment of him is not abnormal. That it's just typical family 'drama'. You come from a different family dynamic. A loving, supportive, sane one. He's never experienced that. And the more time he spends with you, and the less time he devotes to them, then the quicker he will become enlightened. It won't be anything you are doing yourself to turn him against his family. It will simply be him realizing for himself, where he is in an environment where he is treated with respect exactly how toxic his own family is.

My point here is that you must go. She will continue to abuse and bully you both until he is manipulated into breaking up with you or that you walk away in despair. It really is that black and white when dealing with malignant narcissists. There is never a middle ground to be reasonable with people with such personality disorders. He should not look to his immediate family for support. The know too well themselves that if they don't participate and champion her vendetta then their lives will be made miserable as she bullies them in retaliation, for having the audacity to undermine her power and control. He's on the right path here with you. He needs to follow through. It will be tough going, they will make you doubt yourself and harass and intimidate you both, but trust me, it will be worth it in the end when he comes to realize the true extent of this and is free to enjoy his future with you. You'll both become stronger for it.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Go to minimal contact as much as possible, and don't rise to her bait.

If you are planning kids this is a woman and her daughters you do NOT want in your children's lives - look at how it's damaged your OH. Read Toxic Parents or Toxic inlaws by Susan Forward - both of you, and keep reading similar. It's going to be a steep learning curve for both of you.

If they give you the opportunity and fall out massively with you both, grab it with both hands and ignore the flying monkeys sent to reel you back in. The two of you need to be a strong team and if you are, you'll be able to distance yourselves from them.

I just want to add there are some great facebook groups on narcissist parents. There are people out there with the same type of parents and even worse. I found them great for the support. Counselling for me was pretty useless, they tried to change my thoughts on things. Like, I can't stop feeling the way I do. I'm not sure if it was that particular counsellor.

He should give counselling a go and deal with his issues or his family's treatment of him. He had a lifetime of nasty parents. He needs to go low contact at least. For me, I had enough over a year ago and went no contact. I was 33 years old. These people will never change. It took me a long time to realise that. Accepting my mother's behaviour towards me, I was only giving out the impression that it was OK to treat me like crap. I just had enough and walked out. She can apologize or not. It was her issue, not mine, I had to look out for myself. Something happened before the Christmas and I had to start up contact again. My grandmother died, and I also found a funny looking spot which I rang my mother in a panic. When I left after the funeral, it was made out that I would be welcome at home for Christmas. Christmas eve and I was told not to bother coming home. I thought just maybe, after a year of no contact, she might realise how awful she was towards me. hey, my family never apologised for their behaviour, and here I was going right back to them, then the bombshell was dropped, don't bother coming home for Christmas. My point being is they never change. They only want to hurt you and they get great satisfaction out of it.

Ok, I am trying to remember everything in this reply as there has been so many opinions which I am so grateful for, it really helps!

I’ll just go in order. I only engaged with her after the above for him. I thought it was better to stand by him… When this all happened he understandably went mental at her, saying how unacceptable it was and that it was out of line. That time and everytime since, if he stands up to her, they blame it on me. He stopped doing this to protect me, I think. Like in the sense that if he didn’t stand up for it, I couldn’t be blamed anymore kinda thing…
    I agree we tell them too much and that stems from in the beginning when I said not to tell them our business, then if they found out after, they’d “ask him to come up and help with something” when I was at work, and sit him down for an intervention because he was lying to them. He has never lied, only kept our business to himself. So after that, it got so much that we just started telling them things.

Our current house is in the city where they live, not near my parents… They only met for the first time this past new year which my mother and granny were present, dad was working. They were apprehensive but like me, done their best to be nice and hospitable. The night went great and there were no issues really. She did have a few and start jibing at his weight in front of my family which was humiliating for him, but having known what she is like they just tried to cheer him up and ignored her.

Unfortunately. We have discussed moving back to my homeplace but there just aren’t any opportunities there, that’s why I moved away so young in the first place. On one hand we have discussed moving somewhere else, but I have been here for six years and him his whole life. We both have very good friend circles here, and he has just gotten an amazing job he has been trying to get for years…. We don’t feel like we should have to uproot all that when we have done nothing wrong… Not to mention the rest of his family are here which mostly know absolutely nothing about this. He gets on great with all of his aunts, cousins, uncles, grandparents etc as do I. They welcomed me with open arms. His mother hates this also because as you would have guessed, the majority don’t speak to her. She doesn’t speak to her own family because of arguing and she always blames it on them. I don’t know if it is their fault or hers in that case but our experience leads me to guess…

I do realise in the future it might have to happen. We have discussed having children over the next ten or so years, and I really fear to think what would happen if we did. I can only imagine it as hell :(

CowboyBillyBob, as this has been going on for so long, we have been through that. It’s beyond that point hence why I feel we are stuck… We have asked them to sit down in a neutral setting three times altogether. It always ends the same way. She is sorry, and she was doing it out of concern. She promises it will never happen again and she loves us both. Tears have been involved at one point which made us feel guilty. If it is him alone they just scream and abuse him, they know I will speak back. He never did at first so that’s their tactic. He does now, but they just get worse then.

I know it’s nothing against me personally, this would happen with any person he moved in with… I hope. I am driving myself crazy trying to believe this because it has made me so down on myself and I am compulsively cleaning all day every day. Yeah that’s good because it means I’m not moping around but I tend to go too far. It feels like it is never clean enough or good enough even though I might think it is, I then think well if she was to show up right now it would be “filthy”. I know I shouldn’t listen, neither should he, but it wears down on us some days and we just feel low.

He has brought the money up with them before and they won’t tell him even how to get it and refuse to give it back. They signed it over a month or two after moving out so he has no idea where it has actually gone. At this point he thinks they have either spent it or are just never giving it back and to be honest, like someone said above, it might be the best well spent 10,000 to get away from them. He is rightly extremely annoyed as he was living at home working two jobs, paying 100 towards the home and then saving almost all of his wages apart from that. He worked extremely hard to save it and he is so annoyed that it was all for nothing but it’s just another weapon to use.

I do know her maiden name and where she came from….She has spoke about this and her family I’ve met have spoken about it. Her excuse is always ‘that’s how my family treat each other so I don’t know any better’ That may be true, and I am sorry it happened, but that should make you more aware of not treating people like ****. You have had long enough away from this to realise and try and change…
    We have tried to sit down and be nice and talk it out without arguing. It worked, for a few weeks. We have tried minimal contact, but each time we did admittedly cave because it just got so bad. We are partly to blame in that respect but we just didn't know what else to do..

We have both read these and I have came to the conclusion I am not having any contact under any circumstance. He is unsure what to do, he has booked counselling. He is not contacting them and if they contact him, he will most likely ignore it. If they do call to the house, I will not leave them in and explain if he wants to speak to them they can do so in another environment, or I can leave. As for his sisters, the youngest didn’t get involved and they will speak as normal. She has always been the one to care for him and see if he is ok…She is barely 18 and has more maturity than the rest. The other sister never speaks to him except in passing and the text she sent last week was the first time she made an effort to say anything in months. So that isn’t really an issue. We know she is just influenced and someday that will wear off aswell and she will see how insane this all is..

This thread has strengthened our minds so much and I honestly cannot thank you all enough for being kind. I know it all sounds crazy, I wish I embellished or exaggerated because that would mean it hasn’t gotten that bad haha. We were so used to listening to abuse and put downs we almost forgot we are allowed to say no or keep distance…. We haven’t heard from them since and it’s one of the quitest most normal weeks we have had in a while. I know it will only be a matter of days or weeks before something else happens, but I know I don’t have to deal with it now. I only ever dealt with all of this because I felt like I was leaving him alone to deal with it and that felt wrong… Sorry this whole thing was so long, and thanks everyone far having patience to read it. You have no idea how much you’ve helped.

To the people in similar situations, you have made it easier to see this will probably never end but it isn’t an issue with us… I hope you live happy lives and know nothing is wrong with you either.

Thank you all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

OP, you are an angel to stand by his side like a rock.
    I'm also quite positive about him getting out of this situation well enough, he doesn't seem weak.

One thing I'd like to suggest: Please get legal advice regarding the money. They basically stole your OHs money, money that you might need for something in the future. And 10k is not an insignificant amount, in some parts of the country it can be a house deposit.

I wish the two of you best of luck to get out of this horrid situation.

I agree that you should get legal advice regarding the money. They have stolen from your partner.

The Facebook page " Freedom from Parental Narcissistic Abuse" is one of the best. I recommend that you both look at it.

By the sounds of things his 17 year old sister might need your help in years to come but sort yourselves out first. You can't help anybody else otherwise.

Narcissistic abuse usually goes back generations (it does in my family) and it is very common in farming families. That's why it is so hard to break the chains of abuse.

Good luck going forward. Your OH really is lucky to have your support. I wish I had the support of someone like that years ago and even now. I'm single and it can be damn hard because I still have to deal with my parents. It's a long story. I am in my 40s and had to work it all out myself so to speak.

I had some counselling but not all counsellors "get" narcissism. Some foolishly think you can sit down and reason with these people. You CAN'T, no matter what anyone says. Remember that.

• Advertisement

You mentioned something in your last post that if they call to the house they can talk to your partner in a different environment or you will leave.

You shouldn't have to leave your home for them. It is your home, not theirs.

You cannot reason with these people. If you or your partner can't go no contact, contact should be kept to a minimum. Look up the grey rock technique. Well basically you or your partner give them no news on your life, no good news or no bad news, they hate you if you have good news and will take delight if you have bad news. You don't give it to them. He basically be as interesting as a grey rock. You don't explain yourself to them and give yes or no answers. Keep things to a minimum and very very short. You become boring. Narcissists thrive on drama, if they don't get it from you, they will learn that you're no good and boring and seek it out elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Kazza16

Ah here OP, enough is enough! Whatever about your DP and how he handles them, if I were you I would shut them down immediately. This woman is a narcissistic monster and the only way to handle her is to shut her down. Take screenshots of the all of the nasty text messages she has sent, send them to her and tell her that you will be posting these on social media for all of the friends and family to see if she says one more nasty thing about you or her son.

That will shut the nasty old hag up!

And if down the line, your dp kisses and makes up with up with them that doesn't mean that you have to! I would stay well away - imagine what it will be like if you get married and have children?!

Good luck!

It's an act of self defeat to sink to the level of narcissists. If you engage with them in a negative way you are still under their control.

Narcissism is a common theme in Irish literature. Some of Marina Carr's plays have a narcissistic character. The mother in Brian Friel's "The Beauty Queen of Leenane" is a great malignant narcissist and the tragic outcome of the play is all too common in real life narcissistic families. It's showing in Dublin at the moment. If you and your OH can, go see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

She sounds like a vile evil bitch. She has somehow got away with this horrific behaviour all her life and thinks she can now abuse you and suck you into her whirlpool of evil vomit & anger & controlling and lies.

Forget the 10k - that is her sons & her issue - he will never see it again & she may relish doling it out to him & being in control of him from afar in a petty mean thieving way. I would say He has no hope fo getting that back or any joy from it if he ever recieves it - it is another controlling device used to manipulate him and keep him close to her. You are now drawn into a figjt between himmand her over money - thay she controlls - you are now in her power & are fighting with her & she is winning & inncontrol... Just whay she wants. That 10k is not yours, you will never see it or enjoy it, and she will make sure neither will he. Write it off.

Tbh I see no happy ending in this so
    long as he has her in his life - and she will always be his mother. If you get married or have kids she will be there - I would seriously consider why you are fighting so hard for this man and your relationship when he is allowing this vile controlling abusive woman into your life & to continue to be in his. This sounds like an ultimatum and really it is - either he grows a pair and accepts that you are now his priority and stands up for
    you and what you have together,and your relationship and future or he remains savaged inside the barbed wire territory of his mothers control forever. Which sounds like whay sje wants. She must have ruined his fathers life - did the father never stand up to her? Did the father allow her to be so cruel and abusive to his son all through his life? What kind of people are these? This is so abhorrent and unusual and utterly destructive an damaging and cruel it beggars belief.

She is clearly long term mentally ill - depression often forces people to extremes of hate and jealousy for others. This is not a logical fix cajoling situation but whether you are prepared to take this stress, anxiety and evil controlling behaviour for the rest of your life and that of your children if you have any. You are in your twenties? Is this the kind of family, environment and situation you want to be in for the next 5,10 or 20 years? You are already anxious and agrophobic. Do you want to add stressed, miserable and mentally ill to that too? Is what he is prepared to yeild to you worth all that? Years of an abusive woman being cruel, screaming abuse, harassing you at your home, and playing control mind f*** with you both? Always there, always waiting with her vomit and abuse and vile words and manipulation?!

She thinks you are beneath her/him. She spreads lies about you. She makes up hate filled stories about you. She thinks it is ok or normal to have screaming abuse with you on the phone - and them begs for forgiveness saying it was in your best interest/she thought it was true? These are all classic symptoms of a violent long term domestic abuser - only it is so vile to see it in an old woman against her young sons lover. She wants to and has already succeeded in pulling you into her world of poison, violence screaming ,personal abuse, and trauma - all controlled by her.

How long are you going to keep him your life? It is not just a question for her son about his mother, who has sadly been a victim of this behaviour and in this environment all his life and says he knows no better ( and sounds like he is following the lead of his father also facilitating and enabling her even if he dosn't know better or has no idea how to behave or what is normal) but it is also a serious issue for you as an individual in relation to your boyfriend.

You are not just half of an abused couple or a quarter of the family abuse circle comprising the facilitating father and equally abusive sister and her and your weak or passive boyfriend, but you are also an individual in your right who also can make the choice not to be part of this circle of control,abuse and interpersonal evil - at all. You are now part of an abusive domestic situation. How awful. Did You ever think You would be an abused woman, in a toxic controlling hate filled long term dysfunctional and problematic relationship? I bet not. Despite your love for your OH, you can still choose to walk away from it all. It is a valid and reasonable choice. And you do not have to protest your love for your Boyfriend and atay in it just because you love him. There is a greater part to your love for him. It is his reaponses, his conditioning, his understanding of what is acceptable and normal behaviour, and his not having the background to see or probably ever understand how utterly abnormal and dysfunctional this is. Just because your OH has grown up with and is trapped in this cycle
    of family abuse forever does not mean that you are. And it does not mean that your life should be dictated to by her or made cruel and difficult by her and this family and their behaviours and values.

If your BF cannot see this and will not do anything permanent and meaningful that removed this problem and toxic and burnen from your shoulders and life, is not prepared to PROPERLY stand up for you just as his father seems to have failed to do all his entire life, then sadly, he is also part of this problem. You are worth a lot more than all of this and deserve a lot better. How many years are you going to wait while he fugures it out in therapy - even assuming he gets any meaningful insights or changes a lifetime of grooming & patterns of thinking?

You personally also need to be seriously considering how many years of this absuse and upset you will tolerate and whether 3 or 5 or 10 years of this will he what it takes for you to walk away from it all. And whether this is the kind of poisonous family and life you want your children (future) to be brought up
    In. As a well brought up, beautiful, intelligent woman who has had a normal happy sparkling life and loving warm family and good normal values you are entitled to a happy, normal, joyful life and bright future in a loving, supportive, joyful family environment and happy dreams. You do not have to tolerate or plan to put up with this - EVEN THOUGH you love him. Fixing his sadly utterly dysfunctional family and how he engages with them and you is not your reaponsibility or job in life. You are young and have lots of opportunities and happy years you can yet have. Choosing to walk away from all of this toxic poison & nightmare , despite your love for your BF, is still a very plausible and valid choice. Not all love & circumstances are the kind where you can or should keep a relationship going. Sadly . We hear lots of past ex stories where there were one or many key items that the oerson knew prevented a long term happy relationship or marriage - your story is one the best models for one of them.

You have heard of intergenerational abuse and toxic families. You are now part of one. And you should strongly consider permanently removing yourself from ALL of it while you still can and still have your fragile mental health. He ( your loved OH) is also part of the problem, sadly.

Not all relationships last, not all end in marriage or children. We have all fond memories of ex's that just would never work out - and we look back and know innout hearts that although it was a hard and difficult decision to make, that it was the best decision for the rest of our lives and future happiness. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

LirW wrote:
    One thing I'd like to suggest: Please get legal advice regarding the money. They basically stole your OHs money, money that you might need for something in the future. And 10k is not an insignificant amount, in some parts of the country it can be a house deposit.

I think the boyfriend should take an initiative to stand up for himself by telling his mother that there is to be no further contact from them unless it is to give him back his 10k. This is leverage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

She is not going to change at this stage so there is zero point in thinking that it's possible to reason with her. Your partner needs a good counsellor and a lot of sessions in order to process all this but she is destroying him. Both of you need to get away from her. Move house and don't give her your new address. Block her from your phone and I'd strongly recommend that your partner do the same. Who cares who she blames? What does it matter? The opinion this woman has of you is not relevant. She has treated you both with disgust and disrespect for a long time so she does not deserve to be treated with respect. It has gone beyond that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

This so called human being is vile to the core. Change your numbers and stop contact altogether. Seems to me like his mother resents you both for getting your own place. She doesn't have her son around to be a punching bag for her outbursts anymore. His siblings don't know any better after years of seeing him being treated badly so are just following suit. How dare she treat you both the way she has and still is. She seems like a control freak who if things don't go her way she's like a volcano about to erupt. Get the 10 thousand back and might I add a restraining order against her. She can't have full reign in visiting you whenever she wants.

The straw that broke the camels back is when his 20year old sister text him saying ' You're a fat disgusting mess. You have one income in your filthy house and you think you are doing well at 25? You should have more respect.' He replied saying this is nothing to do with her, he has issues with his parents and he would appreciate if she didn't get involved. This ended with name calling and cursing on her end. Not sure if this was actually her or she is being influenced but it's the one thing that broke him because she never speaks to him except in passing, has never been in our house, and would not know our financial situation.

Hi OP.
    That was not his sister texting him. It was his mother. Using her phone to attack him, to taunt/bait him into replying.
    She knew he was starting to cop on and wanted to use a different tactic to prolong the drama.
    Tell him that wasn't his sister. She was being used here as a pawn, like everyone else in his family.
    The next time he get's such a message from his sister, or anyone in his family do not reply by text.
    Simply ring. I could almost guarantee you that it goes unanswered.

valoren wrote: »

Hi OP.
    That was not his sister texting him. It was his mother. Using her phone to attack him, to taunt/bait him into replying.
    She knew he was starting to cop on and wanted to use a different tactic to prolong the drama.
    Tell him that wasn't his sister. She was being used here as a pawn, like everyone else in his family.
    The next time he get's such a message from his sister, or anyone in his family do not reply by text.
    Simply ring. I could almost guarantee you that it goes unanswered.

You'd be surprised with these types of families. I brought up an issue with my brother and he ****ed me out of it, everything was my fault, loads of name calling and insults. It was uncalled for but everything came from him, it wasn't anyone else texting on his behalf. The golden child and flying monkeys in a narcissist dysfunctional family will always hate the scapegoat and will insult them any chance they get.

Hey everyone, thanks for all the replies and all of the support.

I'm the 'victim' so to speak. I dont know what to call myself at this point...something of a pariah to my own family i guess.

My partner set up this post in order to get some advice from people who do not know us and are not involved.
    I really want to thank everyone for so much advice and help. Since the post, there has been one instance of contact from my father who rang me. I took the advice of so many of you and worked up the balls to speak my mind and say what I needed to say. Unfortunately I didnt have the time to speak all of my mind but I got the important things said.

How I don't appreciate being called all the things I was called every time we see each other. How I dont appreciate the names my wonderful partner was being called.
    How i really and truly dont appreciate the interference in MY life.

Needless to say I was pretty shaken after it. Ive never stood up my parents like this and I felt physically sick but mentally I felt like i could take on the world.
    It took a few days but I eventually got over it and I felt all the better for it, but thats not to say I havent had a few days where I slip into a mood and leave me anxious, depressed and not wanting to face the outside.

I feel so much better now despite having one of those moments today. I somehow go it into my head that I was never going to amount to anything (how stupid of me!) but thanks to my amazing girlfriend I got over it. Feeling a bit drained but over it.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who replied even the ones who said my partner should leave me before it gets worse...thanks for that..I appreciate everyones opinion and have taken everything on board.

Thanks!

Well done. You are lucky to have the support of a good partner but YOU have to stay strong. Beware of hoovering and flying monkeys:

http://narcissistschild.blogspot.ie/2013/08/getting-sucked-back-inall-about.html

http://narcissistschild.blogspot.ie/2014/06/the-flying-monkeys-in-your-life.html

hi all, op here.
    sorry to bring this thread up again but been some significant events...
    After this thread we decided to take the advice and cut contact
    They showed up unannounced to our house three times, peering in the windows and we didnt let them in
    all was quiet other than that until yesterday. I was out shopping and they were in the same shop as me. I turned to avoid them and they called my name out so I said hi back. They were chit chatting hows life work etc and I just kept repeating. yeah all is fine.

Then his mam asked me why he wouldn't talk to her. four times I said it's between you two, I dont want to talk about it. The fifth time I said you know what the reason he isn't talking to you is because the two of you bully the hell out of him, abuse him and youre a horrible person to your son.
    She then started shouting at me in front of everyone that I was a tramp, I was jealous of his sisters because they're 'tall and good looking', that I was never there for him and never will be, that I was a slut because I wore a vneck top in a picture on facebook, and again shouting you're a dirty tramp repeatedly. All I said when this was happening is 'why? why do you think that I have never done anything to any of you this shouldn't involve me'
    So they walked away, I followed and asked them why they were doing this, his dad then turned around pointed his finger an inch away from my face and spat you ARE a dirty ****ing tramp, **** off back home and leave our son alone.
    His mother had to hold him back which was obviously intimidating to have a six foot four man in his fifties doing this in front of a shop of people.
    I just dropped the stuff I was meant to get and went home, bawling my eyes out. My oh then called him and asked who the hell they think they are to talk to ANYONE like that in public, much less me. They just kept hanging up.
    His sister then text and said 'you're only hearing one side of the story she attacked them aswell'
    I admitted straight away when I first told him that yes I called her horrible and abusive and maybe I shouldn't have done that but she kept asking me and kept asking me so I was honest!!!! I stayed as calm as I possibly could but as soon as I was being shouted at I did raise my voice to defend myself.
    I was so angry and so upset yesterday but we talked to his granny (dads side) and his mother actually done the same thing to her a few years back screaming and shouting at her for no reason, a woman in her 70s.
    I am at my wits end at this point, I feel like dirt on the ground and so embarassed. We both have blocked them all on fb and stuff so hopefully they will leave us alone now. I feel so bad about myself because of what happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

Oh God OP. I don't know what to say. Can ye move? Does this warrant a barring order from the guards maybe? At least ye are both on the same page. You will always be at fault in their eyes for their son sticking up for himself and you, but forget about that, it doesn't matter. Ye don't need them in your lives. It sounds as if the extended family are well aware of what they are like so will take what they say with a pinch of salt. They made a show of themselves in public so plenty more people know what they're like too now.

You say they treated your OH's Dad's mother like this too? And he allowed his wife to do that to his own mother? I can remember I snapped at my mother in law over something once and my husband was very cross with me and rightly so, I was in the wrong and I wouldn't dream of doing it again. She's never done anything to deserve it.

Do not feel bad for yourself OP.
    It seems like they have extended their bullying to showing up uninvited.
    This is harassment. If it happens again call the guards. Block numbers?
    Perhaps they will get the message then?
    It's incredible how consumed they seem to be in destroying you.
    They want to revert back to complete control of your OH. To go back to treating him like ****.
    You block that. They'll do whatever to remove you from his life.

You're not alone. I've had to deal with toxic people myself. My brother's wife is a toxic, narcissistic bully. Like your MIL quite capable of exploiting the whole two sides to every story angle in order to manipulate and sell her lies to gullible people. Long story short, she befriended my wife when they started work together. It was how we met.

My SIL turned out ot be a bitter, insecure, nasty and hateful individual. My wife was everything she was 'pretending' to be. Smart, well liked, thoroughly respected at work, brilliant at her job, mannerly and respectful, and very good looking. She latched on to her, became instant friends with her. That ought to have been a red flag.

My sister in law thought we would simply go drinking every weekend, with her as the centre of attention being fawned over. That was her expectation. That we would provide her 'narcissistic supply', as we would listen to her abuse and insult family, friends and co-workers as we nodded in agreement, willfully tolerating her poisonous personality. Needless to say, we did our own thing.
    After she had a meltdown in the lead up to my older brother's wedding, I reduced contact with her to family events alone.

She exploited the reduced contact. She accused me of intentionally having no time for my brother. She never said a word of this to me directly. She used it as a weapon to harass, bully, belittle and insult my wife with at any given opportunity. My doormat of a brother, like a coward, went along with her. Believed and championed the lies.

This resulted in her attempting to split us up. She had an agenda against us with the help of my own brother, a shell of himself, after years of suffocating and controlling abuse, and her own trashy family. Everything, words, actions and events were twisted around on us both, she was a classic malignant narcissist. She smeared my wife's name at work, attacked her character, tried to destroy her reputation. The toll it took on her was terrible. To top that all off, she twisted it around. She played the victim, she claimed she was the one bullied, harrassed. My wife was trying to get her fired etc. She even showed up with her mother to my wife's office (after SIL had been made redundant) and slandered her to anyone she could get her hands on for a couple of hours. Selling her lies.

My wife, like yourself, had done absolutely nothing wrong. She stood up for herself. That's all. It gave us both a serious life lesson.

To this day, I refuse to speak to them. They've been cut out of our lives. It is quite simply bliss. I don't know their year old niece. It doesn't concern me. He chose her side. It has even affected my relationship with my immediate family. Their thinking is that we need to get over ourselves, that there is two sides to every story, that nobody is to be blamed. My argument is that they are being cowards, who refuse to accept who is actually responsible, that there is right and wrong, that just because they are husband and wife does not give her a license to be a bullying asshole. That's what toxic, dangerous people do. They destroy. Relationships. Confidence. Self esteem.

Read more detail of this here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=99293343

You deal with toxic people by not dealing with them. It's is very hard to walk away when confronted but it really is for the best. They will continue on confronting you both from the sounds of it.

Rise above it if at all possible, let them stew in their own hatred. From reading what you've both written, the only solution here is to walk away. Permanently. Period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭seenitall

Hi OP,

No contact, no contact, no contact. The two of you have to start taking it very seriously. Call the guards if they keep stalking you around your house, and close up emotionally like two clams. No indulging emotional blackmails, no more entertaining insults. When you come face to face with any of them in a shop, the ONLY life-saving, life-affirming thing to do is to walk by as if there is only thin air where they are standing, even while you are being accosted, insulted, shouted at.

I recognise the demented behaviour all right. I cannot emphasise enough that no contact and no communication is the only thing that will save you both a lifetime of misery from here on in. And ideally, of course, moving as far away as possible. I had to move 2000 miles away, to a foreign country, to get away from a narcissistic parent, and it did help. Enormously.

The best of luck to both of you, and you also have to remember that you need to be strong, united and go NO CONTACT.

• Advertisement
Advertisement