Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dent in frame - Opinions?

Options
  • 20-02-2017 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭

Crashed the bike yesterday and left a lovely dent in the top tube.

Any advice on whether it needs further checks to be deemed an issue?
    Is it possible to straighten perhaps or even worth looking into?
    The top tube is kinked slightly on this side, but from the other side looks straight, so still looks in shape overall.

2016 Canyon Nerve (sorry for the large pic - for detail)

409840.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I think that's par for the course on a mtb.

I have a similar one probably not as severe on the downtube crashed off the bike only a couple of months old.

I'd carry on with it. I'd be more concerned if it were closer to the weld.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I'd say it's a write off , structural integrity is gone. Others may disagree

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I think that's par for the course on a mtb.

I have a similar one probably not as severe on the downtube crashed off the bike only a couple of months old.

I'd carry on with it. I'd be more concerned if it were closer to the weld.

I've crashed a lot harder on my other MTB and never had this, it was a pretty innocuous crash too,guess it was just the rock it landed on, I'll keep an eye on it and see how it gets on, more or less half way on the top tube.
    ted1 wrote: »
    I'd say it's a write off , structural integrity is gone. Others may disagree

Ted, I like your talk, can I give you my wife's phone number? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

In all honesty there is only one thing you can do:

Buy another bike for "testing" purposes. Report back to us on whether dented or undented is a better ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

That is is a combination of top-tube and - as iwillhtfu has implied - nowhere near a weld joint, I wouldn't be so quick to write the frame off just yet. If it was a large dent on the small triangle or anywhere near the bottom bracket or headset I'd be getting itchy, but I think you'll be alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Put a plaster over it she'll be grand.

As said great excuse to upgrade and the new spectral is sweet as :)

Nerve_zps7pm1teft.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Was planning to upgrade later in the year, resale value might be 'dented' slightly though...

Advertisement