Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Doris - Wednesday PM/Thursday AM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭milehip

Where's here?

Mayo\Galway border, picking up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Oh yea,now its really getting into it,crazy sustained winds outside,terrifying screaming noise,louisburgh co mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

What wind speeds would you predict for Achill MT? Are we likely to get anything as bad as the ARPEGE charts suggested? It doesn't sound too bad here-yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Really impressive....Hope everyone stays safe

https://twitter.com/MattHugo81/status/834580131448500225

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

Winds have turned up a notch here in Kildare now. As in you can hear them whistling through the power lines outside

• Advertisement

Right according to the arpege in the next hour, Galway , Mayo Sligo should be getting blown into next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

Please include locations with weather obs. The satellite appearance is that of a powerful cyclone alright, perfect circular eye on infra-red (often we've seen these cruise past Ireland around 100-200 miles offshore, this one aims to crawl east along the Mayo coast into Ulster by 0300). Pauldry, you may be "in the eye of the storm" around 0300h.

Severe NW winds will follow the passage of the centre in this case. That's where the gradient will be strongest until after the centre has moved well past Isle of Man, in the U.K. phase strongest winds will begin to catch up to the centre eventually.

This is really going to slam Lancashire hard I would think, around 0900h. It reminds me of the epic 8th of December 1886 storm with the record low pressure at Belfast of 927.2 mbs (!), nothing like that here but sort of a scale model of that storm. Severe damage was caused in Belfast and then northwest England from that low.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/wea.20/pdf

Write up about that storm here..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Kicking off here in West Clare, wind turned WNW and gusts are gusting up to 40kts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

sunbeam wrote: »
    What wind speeds would you predict for Achill MT? Are we likely to get anything as bad as the ARPEGE charts suggested? It doesn't sound too bad here-yet...

Shelter in place, you are in the eye now (almost). Depends on your exposure to the northwest where you are but potential for 75-80 knot gusts briefly in about an hour to two hours from now, 60 kts for about 3-4 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 lexi-lexi

Not too wild here yet (just outside gorey) just remembered that I forgot to take the washing in off the line ffs that will be fun in the morning !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

A Line Galway to Dublin, 50 miles north and south going to get hit by extreme gusts in next several hours. Its a picture post card on the satellite imagery

Just got fierce wild in Ballinasloe, eased off but still gusty. Chimney's noisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 lexi-lexi

Will it affect flights in Dublin airport does anyone know ?

That's a decent squall now for Southern Areas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

First big gust and howl here in south Laois...Not going to get much sleep tonight.

lexi-lexi wrote: »

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Squall line becoming intense east of Limerick, more or less a severe storm alert situation for Tipps, Kilkenny, Laois, Carlow, south Kildare 0230-0330h. Hail and wind gusts to 120 km/hr possible in that region, could spread to Waterford, Wicklow, Offaly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

Pressure now 976.5

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Starting to get the first few light gusts here in s.e. Sligo, a fine night for my weather station to go on the blink, all I got is pressure and inside temps, sigh. 986.4mb dropping at a rate of -3.1 mb/hr.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Brief lull after cold front passage before you get whalopped by wraparound... Stay safe:eek:

Yes some thunderous gusts now:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Mace Head reporting gusts of 140 km/hr on the 02.00 :eek:

Very wild now in Castlebar, gusting 88 km/hr, pressure down to 976.3.

Remember ARpege...!it was right

Mace Head 53 Gust 76kt

Remember ARpege...!it was right

Mace Head 53 Gust 76kt

Ooooooh bolllllooooox

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Clearly Mayo should have been under an orange alert,conditions are atrocious here.

Window pane vibrating...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,649 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Any webcams or anything that might have anything interesting to see?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

lexi-lexi wrote: »

That's been the hot topic of the evening.

I think no, others think yes.

So maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

Co. Waterford/ Tipp border.

Just ramped up several notches.

Dog went out for a ninja pee. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Clearly Mayo should have been under an orange alert,conditions are atrocious here.

It has got a lot worse in the last half hour, seems to be getting stronger which would be correct going by the Arpege.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I'm over in Vegas at the minute, missing out on all this. My only concern are the wheelie bins and storage units that may not be very safe and secure (I've nobody in the house). Flying back tomorrow though, so as a nervous flyer, hopefully it will have passed London by Friday morning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

Nearly now at the lowest of the low

Pressure at 975.6 so prob 974 will be min then tearing roars of Doris

Advertisement