Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Doris - Wednesday PM/Thursday AM

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just north of the Airport here sand it's still raging outside.
    Power out for nearly and hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Dublin 7
    Some slates down from the roof.
    Cheap lidl walk in greenhouse had cover ripped off despite being tied.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,152 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I have a few years experience in these, it's unusual for the TAF to be this far off. To be fair to Met Eireann, it's rare that these storms upgrade so much so close to their occurrence.

I think, in fairness to all trying to predict this, that is what happened. A sudden upgrade. Going to bed last night I was expecting high winds but nothing like what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I have a few years experience in these, it's unusual for the TAF to be this far off. To be fair to Met Eireann, it's rare that these storms upgrade so much so close to their occurrence.

It didn't upgrade. It was looking this strong 36 hours ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

just counted 6 trees down here on the roads, 3 of the roads completely blocked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Awful choice of words with "upgrade" but at least some models were flagging thr potential and accordingly some posters (I'm looking at Weathercheck for instance) has made pretty good calls on this event.

It makes a nice change from some folks making calls on snowy events especially, with no model backup or rigourous analysis. Forecasts are better made with a brain, not with the heart!

Speaking of which, where is Met Éireann's orange alert for Mayo/Roscommon/Letrim? The orange alert should have been more widespread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

north sligo here, on coast between sligo and bundoran...

didnt get bad till around 4ish or after, power flickered but still on now, winds peaked around half5 to half6 with odd strong gust after, no damage, few light bits strewn in garden but def wouldnt call it a storm, very windy night was all.
    seems to be well died down now, still odd gust but nothing that would scare a cat or blow the hat from a tall mans head.

i found doris to be more uppity than vitriolic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Doctor Shivering

Over a 100 esb faults with 46000+ homes blacked out

• Registered Users Posts: 15,424 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Broadband out at home, max gust of 98KM recorded at 6AM, pretty impressive for my location which is usually pretty sheltered from westerly winds.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

redsky7 wrote: »
    Is the worst over for Dublin?

Not till around 11am, then it should ease slowly...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Couple of sections of roof missing from Clare Hall SC in north Dublin. Can't understand the couple of lads who still insist on cycling. It's pretty much in your face all the way into city centre with gusts at an angle

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

RAF Valley (Holyhead) now 46 gust 69 knots. The TAF has chance of 50 gust 75 knots from 7-11 am

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Has died down a lot in SoCoDub.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Deatr

To be fair,you were advised all day yesterday by gaoth Laidir (who actually flies) that the Dub TAF was going to be under estimated yet you persisted with the dozens of the 'there will be no disruption at Dublin airport'posts

The TAF was updated and even that updated TAF was wrong
    Another Met Eireann fcuk up

From experience I always add an additional 5-10kts to what it says on the TAF. The Met Eireann weather service in the airport isn't the best at all. I've remember a couple of years ago when arriving back to DUB and it was snowing having left a couple of hours earlier with no snow or sleet mentioned in the TAF.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just ventured out.... left the gas cylinder where it is as wind still so strong. My postbox is down and the sack of kindling that was in the fuel bay is now scattered far and wide across the garden... Not checked the roof as going round that corner into full wind, ... beware low flying Graces7 ;)

So we have survived a great gale up here...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

LaFuton wrote: »
    north sligo here, on coast between sligo and bundoran...

didnt get bad till around 4ish or after, power flickered but still on now, winds peaked around half5 to half6 with odd strong gust after, no damage, few light bits strewn in garden but def wouldnt call it a storm, very windy night was all.
    seems to be well died down now, still odd gust but nothing that would scare a cat or blow the hat from a tall mans head.

i found doris to be more uppity than vitriolic

Over- exuberant and sugared-up ;) Scary at times; West Co Galway in the mountains...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Max gust at my station 71km/h at 7am. Was expecting a little higher but I would be sheltered a little from SW W direction.
    The wind has picked up again in the last few though so not over just yet

Check live YouTube stream on my website

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Missed this bit of news. Was bewildered this morning to see no power around my entire village this morning in central Offaly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Kudos to weathercheck.

The pressure will be on for future forecasts;)

I must say that when this thread started I thought it was another lame duck and Ott based mainly on other threads started here and it put me right off thinking this was another one of those.
    When I looked at the ecm on windyty I thought that it wasn't much of a thing.

It wasn't until meteorite put up the detailed wind forecast that I took notice that something was up.
    (I haven't been following the weathercharts in a while, got browned off).

So kudos to weathercheck and the other posters here.

56,000 homes now without electricity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Looking back, I think the French ARPEGE model had it spot on last night, the GFS completely underestimated the wind strength for most places.

Substantial delays/disruption at Dublin Airport

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

Well, that was a sleepless night... Patches of blue in the sky now. Here's the graph of the storm over Longford. Higest gust 94 kmph. I won't post the rain data as the wind was shaking the tipper I had > 60mm/hr at one stage
    410091.png410092.png

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

Fence panels blew down and a step ladder blew into my garden, never had that happen before ah well finders keepers.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭dmaprelude

A wall in my back garden blew down into my neighbours, thanks Doris, just what I need!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Missed this bit of news. Was bewildered this morning to see no power around my entire village this morning in central Offaly.

Simple answer to that....Offally CoCo didn't pay their electric bill:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭OldRio

Substantial delays/disruption at Dublin Airport

But somebody was telling us for the last number of days it would be fine. Repeatedly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

In county Louth. Hit 95kph at 7.30 this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

No electricity for me in Duleek, Meath. Had to go out and search for my bins this morning - found them down the road, contents everywhere! Luckily it was only the recycling stuff, general waste had been emptied.

Luckily the electricity is grand at my office, I was dying for a hot cup of coffee!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Wife says she was awake all night with the wind. Myself and our daughter slept through the whole thing

Advertisement