Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Doris - Wednesday PM/Thursday AM

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

Wind was howling last night, knocked both bins over and managed to blow the door off the gas meter. It's very calm and still outside here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Shortly after 2.30am all hell broke loose here in Achill. Gusts were scary and we are well used to wind up here. Power came back this morning but seems to be a reduced supply e.g. kettle will turn on but not boil. Landlines are down and mobile coverage is erratic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

north mayo
    was strong and gusty s/w but grand nothing to get excited about til about 3.30 am ish then for about 90 mins it was very strong n/w given that we are sheltered from this side it was bad enough from 10 years living in this spot im getting kinda used to it but it was one of the strongest in a good while

bits of patio fencing blown away kids swings up the garden a lot of large branches and bits of trees on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭dm09

Definitely not a great day to Fly, I was on the 06:30 DUB - LHR, we didn't get away until 07:45 and we were one of the first flights out.
    I was sitting at the gate listening to the Live ATC feed, as someone mentioned above it was gusting up to 64Kts around 07:00, all departures were halted for a period and there was a couple of go arounds , The Etihad flight from Abu Dhabi aborted approach, he asked the tower to enter hold for a while before making a decision to make another attempt... He was considering diversion and wanted to hear the outcome of subsequent landings. A number of inbound Ryanair flights elected to Hold to assess the situation.
    The take off was very bumpy, a lot of wind shear.. and coming into London was equally as rough a lot of turbulence and wind shear, one of the roughest landings i've ever experienced and I fly a LOT.. a few nervous looking fellows on EI154 this morning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Galway City. Went to bed at about midnight and the massive oaks outside the house were really moving. Was woken at about 3 with the wind and rain pelting off the windows. Been a while since we've had wind like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Liverpool airport now 42 gust 63 knots.

RAF Valley made it to 71 knots in the end.

Started round 6am here in Dundalk. Peaked around 7.20. Subsided quite rapidly after that. Gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Still very wild and rough here; little improvement. Roaring wind out there and sudden deluges. West Co Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Went to bed around midnight and the wind was just starting to get bad in Galway, it woke me at 3am and I thought the roof was going to go with the noise, it was way worse than what ME forecast for the West Coast they definitely made a f..k up with Doris, well done to all the forecasters here who called it right and who were saying that there should have been an amber alert for the West Coast .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Dun Laoghaire Harbour:  http://www.dlhweather.com/6hr-wind-graph/6hr-wind-data/

42 knots gusting 63 knots!!
    Dun Laoghaire reached 70.5 knots at around 7:15 according to this links stats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭squarecircles

My windows were bending in and out like pieces of cheap perspex last night,the noise outside was horrific,never seen anything like it in a long while.debris all over the place,fence posts blown down,some telephone poles slanted to one side,usually I never see any wind damage here,it must have 130 kmph or over it here last night in west Mayo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Bit of a wild night. I'm usually a good sleeper but was woken with the wind just after 2am. Thankfully no damage to report, but that was the windiest night I can remember since Desmond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Was very gusty overnight here in N. Wicklow, it's still pretty gusty but seems to be dying down a bit now. Ships seem to be having trouble getting into Dublin Port still - the Holyhead boat (Stena Adventurer) has been stuck just offshore here for the last 5 hours. People on board must be having a rotten time of it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I recorded a maximum gust of 71 knots around 4am, my most powerful gust since Kyrill of January 2007 (10 years ago). I also recorded a deluge of 22.9mm of rainfall, it was a quick downpour in a relatively short space of time so I recorded some spot flooding. Now it's fine and dandy though :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

I think the squall line that went through here in the early hours did most of the damage here. Horrendous amount of trees down around The Naas Area.

The winds with that were ferocious

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

KAGY wrote: »
    Well, that was a sleepless night... Patches of blue in the sky now. Here's the graph of the storm over Longford. Higest gust 94 kmph. I won't post the rain data as the wind was shaking the tipper I had > 60mm/hr at one stage
    410091.png410092.png

Ceisteanna, what weather station do you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Flight was delayed by 1 hour, not too bad, got 2 extra pints in. Happy days.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Hail showers now.... go to sleep Doris...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

I just hung out washing

• Registered Users Posts: 51,829 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Rikand wrote: »
    Wife says she was awake all night with the wind. Myself and our daughter slept through the whole thing

Maybe it was something she ate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭RD10

some sunshine in between heavy bursts of rain and strong winds that are coming and going.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,649 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

snowflaker wrote: »
    I just hung out washing

So did our neighbors (can see it through the handy new gaps in our fences), but then it poured down about 10 minutes ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

MJohnston wrote: »
    So did our neighbors (can see it through the handy new gaps in our fences), but then it poured down about 10 minutes ago.

Yep!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

Ceisteanna, what weather station do you use?
    An Aercus WS2083 http://www.greenfrogscientific.co.uk/aercus-instruments-ws2083-pro-wireless-weather-station/

There are some anomalies recorded that I'll have to go back and manually edit out of the record.
    I've a Raspberry pi hooked up permanently to the indoor display running WeeWx (http://www.weewx.com) with the exfoliation skin. It's uploaded to:
    my website: weather.whitehillenv.com, There are some anomalies recorded that I'll have to go back and manually edit out of the record.
    wunderground: https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=ILONGFOR7
    and the Met Offices WOW http://wow.metoffice.gov.uk/observations/details?site_id=932286001

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Cdosrun wrote: »
    Great drying out all the same mind you. :)

Brisk sailing breeze here last night on Clew Bay; now calm

• Registered Users Posts: 35 lexi-lexi

Beautifully sunny here all morning in North Wexford but that wind is wild! So tempted to hang out washing but I know it will be on the ground after 5 minutes. We have a huge leylandi tree in our garden and it's frightening watching it in this wind but it's holding up well so far

• Registered Users Posts: 31,868 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Hailstorm in Tuam just now!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭thomasj

Ukmo have upgraded Doris to a weather bomb ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Highest gust speeds (provisional) at met eireann synoptic stations. C/O Ogimet:

xYiKUGp.png

I didn't really follow this storm but what I want to know is, why did 'severe' weather warnings on RTE last night not include the west? when clearly, the strongest winds were recorded on this side of the island? Or have our 'national' institutions become so fully gombeenesque that they now think the entirety of Ireland consists of just counties in and around the east coast region?

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

The met station at Newport which is not on that list recorded the highest gust of the night at 76.5 kts.

Advertisement