Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Doris - Wednesday PM/Thursday AM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

I didn't really follow this storm but what I want to know is, why did 'severe' weather warnings on RTE last night not include the west? when clearly, the strongest winds were recorded on this side of the island? Or have our 'national' institutions become so fully gombeenesque that they now think the entirety of Ireland consists of just counties in and around the east coast region?

I think it caught Met E off guard more than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 grainne whale

Can anyone please explain to me how come 10 houses in Celbridge (Vanessa Lawns) can have a loss of power while the rest of the houses in the same estate have power - no fallen trees - and what can be done about it - this happens from time to time - last time 2 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Was listening to Amsterdam ATC earlier when a Flybe aircraft declared mayday on landing, broken gears and smoke in cabin. Appears to have crashlanded due to the wind there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

very intense shower of graupel here, sticking to the edges of walls and paths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭horsefarm

Only home now to survey the damage in safety. Significant storm damage to my roof, a section about 25ft long completely mangled and slate free. DORIS is going to cost me €€€€
    S Dub

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Three point turn come in handy now!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Highest gust speeds (provisional) at met eireann synoptic stations. C/O Ogimet:

xYiKUGp.png

I didn't really follow this storm but what I want to know is, why did 'severe' weather warnings on RTE last night not include the west? when clearly, the strongest winds were recorded on this side of the island? Or have our 'national' institutions become so fully gombeenesque that they now think the entirety of Ireland consists of just counties in and around the east coast region?

I feel once outside the Dublin region, one is not on the same level of priority, that is not saying anything bad about Dublin, but the way things feel a lot of the time for those of us who are not in the Dublin region.
    A lot of people who make decisions are from outside the Dublin region but living in Dublin, just want it to be clear I am not anti-Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Not a bad storm Doris was. I was expecting far worse mind you it is the flooding that really caused the damage. Also people stay in and reports could be down. People taking precautions unlike in other storms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Apart from the frequent gusts which continued though the day Doris was a non event in Waterford. Sometimes it's like a different country in the south east.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Apart from the frequent gusts which continued though the day Doris was a non event in Waterford. Sometimes it's like a different country in the south east.

I say the worst we got in the south east was when the squall went through and even that was worse further north.

Highest gust for on my hill north east of Kilkenny city was 79km/hr at 2.53am
    Highest 10 minute wind speed was 47km/hr at 6.23am.
    Probably higher if anemometer was at the required height instead of about 12 to 13ft high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Can anyone please explain to me how come 10 houses in Celbridge (Vanessa Lawns) can have a loss of power while the rest of the houses in the same estate have power - no fallen trees - and what can be done about it - this happens from time to time - last time 2 years ago

They are on a different phase. Same happens on my street sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Same here it was a windy night but nothing out of the ordinary. At least there was an event to report somewhere this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Mr Bumble

Doris took out my greenhouse.
    Ferocious squall about 6.30am. Worst I've ever been in. Felt house lift (or my stomache fall - either or). Glass shards buried in grass 20 ft away. Two wheelie bins, little and large, at the front of the house never budged.
    The greenhouse is in flithers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

ASCAT winds at 11.41 today, showing 50-knot averages getting into north Wales and the Lancashire area.

410154.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Squall or a sting jet perhaps??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Mr Bumble wrote: »
    Ferocious squall about 6.30am. Worst I've ever been in. Felt house lift (or my stomache fall - either or). Glass shards buried in grass 20 ft away. Two wheelie bins, little and large, at the front of the house never budged.

Just goes to show how a 100 miles can mean so much! Hope the greenhouse is covered by your policy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Storm Doris over the UK

LWXVOJq.jpg?1

The highest gust I got was 77km/h , and highest 10 min avg 40 km/h ( lot of gusts over 70 km/h ) Windy night , wrecked now :) could do with a good night sleep ! Very gusty at times today in open countryside , the car was been buffeted from side to side, was gusting up to 60 km/h into the afternoon. Great skyscapes and dazzling bright sunlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Mr Bumble

;)
    Just goes to show how a 100 miles can mean so much! Hope the greenhouse is covered by your policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Ah jaysus..

Well, it was delayed on the ground for 1 hour unlike Aer Lingus who cancelled the flight. Got off (5 flight out) and it was an easy take off, however the landing at Birmingham was nauseous. Pilot did very well to lay it down quickly and tight so happy days. Now in recovery mode back in Ireland :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Mr Bumble wrote: »

Condolences Mr Bumble same thing happened to me last January Storm something or other took the greenhouse and positioned it into the arm of a tree! Rebuilt and restrengthened the greenhouse stayed in situ with Doris but lost a few trees, looks like they all fell over the same direction and probably at the same time - weakened anyway by ivy and now will become firewood - thankfully no other damage done but it was a lot wilder than predicted in the northwest!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Given the Arpege model output this time last night i was expecting higher gusts in the South East than were recorded. The Max at my station in Waterford City was just 71km/h which wasn't even the highest this year which was 83km/h on the 2nd of Feb. Just proves the huge differences in conditions our little island can produce.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Kerryblue03

Why have we all the lovely names and colours on storms and warnings,not needed and never really had b4

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

MJohnston wrote: »

Took time to get landing gear up and diverted into wind for lift??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

MJohnston wrote: »

That is insane. Surprised a jumbo that heavy was struggling against the winds. Looked more like a Harrier jump jet floating in position.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Why have we all the lovely names and colours on storms and warnings,not needed and never really had b4

Colour coded warnings have been around for ages. Storm naming is new, but I fail to see why it's "not needed" as you can simply ignore it if you don't care. For those who do, it's at the very least a handy way to reference specific weather events.

vicwatson wrote: »
    Took time to get landing gear up and diverted into wind for lift??

Landing gear failed upon touchdown, declared Mayday on Air Traffic Control upon landing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Yesterday was..... still roaring away up here into the "night"

This is only my second month up here and the cottage had been empty years so it was a new thing.. The cottage was literally shaking in the gusts. I sleep etc upstairs in what is in effect the loft so am under the eaves.

I was on the phone to family in Canada and they suddenly stopped talking and asked what the noise was.

Although I am used to gales this was ....

When I saw a gas cylinder, the spare, had been blown in front of the door, I stopped any attempt to go out.

Thankfully all is safe. Had noticed the power poles up here are short and squat so well done esb.

The silence now is intense

I am 400 ft asl and mountains on three sides. West Co Galway.

Advertisement