Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gleno Abbey - getting there via bus?

Options
  • 20-02-2017 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

I am heading to the Glenlo Abbey Hotel this weekend and I am just wondering about how to get there. Only thing I know is that it's about 10-15 minutes outside of town and as I don't drive. There doesn't seem to much information online on bus routes there and back from what I've found. Does anyone know if there's a direct bus from Eyre Square, or if not, one which would stop on the way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

404 Newcastle bus and get off at stop at tudor lawn/ westwood hotel.
    you still have over a 2km ahead of you then.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,481 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Clifden bus passes it. Driver would probably let you off if you asked him nicely

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Clifden bus passes it. Driver would probably let you off if you asked him nicely

Indeed. The Citylink one might be slightly more likely to say yes than the Bus Eireann one.

Or you could try ringing both CityLink and Bus Eireann and asking where the nearest official stop for the Clifden bus is - then it's a toss up between that and the 404, with the chance that the driver may make an unoffical drop for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

It would cost 15 euro in a taxi from city centre so might be best bet if you are in a group.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Are there any buses from moycullen to galway that might suit the OP? As an aside Huge lines of traffic everyday on this road surely its ripe for a commuter bus to take a few cars off the road . Will the cycle/greenway ever happen??

• Advertisement

youngrun wrote: »
    Are there any buses from moycullen to galway that might suit the OP? As an aside Huge lines of traffic everyday on this road surely its ripe for a commuter bus to take a few cars off the road . Will the cycle/greenway ever happen??

Both the Clifden buses go thru Moycullen. They are the only ones.

CityDirect tried a dedicated Moycullen bus a while ago but I don't think it lasted for long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Thanks everyone. I may potentially be working there during the summer too so getting to and from would be an issue as I currently live in Renmore, though I'd be willing to move closer if anyone could just suitable areas near the hotel? I'm a college student so live in Renmore during the semester.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. I may potentially be working there during the summer too so getting to and from would be an issue as I currently live in Renmore, though I'd be willing to move closer if anyone could just suitable areas near the hotel? I'm a college student so live in Renmore during the semester.

Greenfields or Tudor Lawn are close by. Your best bet would be to cycle from either of those places as it's not too far. Would take you ten minutes or so to cycle. In summer in would be pleasant enough I would imagine. Parts of that road are quite narrow and somewhat dangerous so high vis jacket, lights etc are recommended.

There is no dedicated bus stop near the hotel. A Citylink driver may drop you off with prior arrangement but I am not sure they would or be allowed to stop in the middle of traffic to pick you up on return.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Best bet is to email Citylink, i know they drop and collect for people at random points along the route.

Biking it wouldnt be bad , especially in summer, nice trail up the river from cathedral to westwood takes you away from road/traffic, less than a mile then

• Advertisement

Both the Clifden buses go thru Moycullen. They are the only ones.

CityDirect tried a dedicated Moycullen bus a while ago but I don't think it lasted for long.

off topic but definitely increased volumes on this road , population explosion in Moycullen, more working ?? surely a demand now for buses ? though the bus eireann crisis wont help

I think there is definitely a need for subsidised or incentivised public transport in Galway immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

The nuig accommodation at Corrib village is not too far away (could walk or cycle). They do summer rentals, not sure of prices but it might be handy.

off topic but definitely increased volumes on this road , population explosion in Moycullen, more working ?? surely a demand now for buses ? though the bus eireann crisis wont help

I think there is definitely a need for subsidised or incentivised public transport in Galway immediately.

They improve the road, and the traffic volumes increase .. now there's a surprise (not).

Bus Eireann buses on this route are already subsidised, and charge fares approved by the NTA. City Link aren't subsidised - and I'm sure that if they thought they could run more services profitably, they would. Both companies take TaxSaver tickets, which are also another form of subsidy (albeit only for people who work in certain companies).

The challenge is likely that most people travelling in from Moycullen aren't working in the city-centre: the jobs are in Parkmore / Ballybrit and the other estates, mostly on the east side of town. So buses to the city-centre aren't that helpful.

It's a long-term planning failure that housing in small towns was allowed to grow out of proportion to employment opportunities in those areas - but that's a matter for a whole different thread.

OP, something else to keep in mind if you're working there is that getting lifts with colleagues may be feasible. And depending on what you're doing, it may be possible to strike a deal with a taxi or hackney driver too.

They improve the road, and the traffic volumes increase .. now there's a surprise (not).

Bus Eireann buses on this route are already subsidised, and charge fares approved by the NTA. City Link aren't subsidised - and I'm sure that if they thought they could run more services profitably, they would. Both companies take TaxSaver tickets, which are also another form of subsidy (albeit only for people who work in certain companies).

The challenge is likely that most people travelling in from Moycullen aren't working in the city-centre: the jobs are in Parkmore / Ballybrit and the other estates, mostly on the east side of town. So buses to the city-centre aren't that helpful.

It's a long-term planning failure that housing in small towns was allowed to grow out of proportion to employment opportunities in those areas - but that's a matter for a whole different thread.

OP, something else to keep in mind if you're working there is that getting lifts with colleagues may be feasible. And depending on what you're doing, it may be possible to strike a deal with a taxi or hackney driver too.

Yes agree
    is there a Bus eireann /private Moycullen - galway service ? or Moycullen Parkmore ? Why not get the bus companies, council and employers and workers all on board . Subsidise it via public/private
    Looks to me like a demand and dunno how many cars travel that way but its a long stream every day am and pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Biking it wouldnt be bad , especially in summer, nice trail up the river from cathedral to westwood takes you away from road/traffic, less than a mile then

That would be ideal but unfortunately I don't cylce either. Well, I can ride a bike but certainly not to a standard where I'd be able to cycle on public roads alongside cars

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Trail partly includes bumpy pathways very conducive to punctures as I have discovered to my cost. A nice even surface would add greatly to this route.

Advertisement