Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Down jacket.

Options
  • 20-02-2017 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭

Hi,

2 weeks ago I was out for a simple walk with kids on the coast and almost froze me b@lls off. Was about 5 degrees but the wind cut through me.

So need a warm jacket and was thinking of getting a down jacket like this.

http://www.tkmaxx.com/mens-jackets+coats/charcoal-down-padded-jacket/invt/24113722

Now I know it's tk maxx and not a well known outdoor pursuits brand etc so the purists may not like it

But any opinions on this kind of jacket. Not for anything mad, just a walk along the prom on a cold windy day. (Not wet)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

At €37.29, this Quechua down filled jacket is worth checking out:
    https://www.decathlon.ie/x-light-men-s-down-jacket-en-s12080.html

aa768a3fb3164dbe9c5081c45e2baf58_8317718.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

All I can say is one word LAYERS.

I'm out everyday often in windy conditions where the wind chill factor would be whipping heat out of you.

Outer layer has to be wind proof and I have several jackets especially for that but if I get caught out even a thin waterproof will make a big difference if you have good layers underneath.

I start out with a decent vest and you can get all techie with ones that direct sweat away from the body or just stick with something from Dunnes. Next wool or wool mix shirt, then a ribbed jumper. Now the next couple of layers depend on conditions but I'd always have a fleece waste coat handy as an extra layer then a full fleece before a final wind proof layer. If I really want to be toasty I swap the fleece waste coat for a down one.

Now the problem I see is that with modern houses being so warm a lot of people want a one garment solution to going out so they can go from 25 degrees indoors to a windy 5 degrees out doors and only put on one layer and I don't think thats the best solution. I also have a down duvet jacket that was designed for Everest but it still needs wearing as part of a layered approach to get the best out of it but tbh I haven't used it much in years. In Ireland I'd be more interested in a good outer waterproof layer.

Edit> The TK-Max option looks OK to me and a feather down mix is a cheaper alternative to pure down but is a but bulkier. I'd want to see how bulky the jacket was when packed up as the point of down clothing is the amount of warmth you get for very little weight and bulk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

I have the Quechua Jacket above, paid €25 for it on holiday last year, it's probably worth the €37 though to be fair. Hell of a difference between it and my Montane one but it's grand for knocking around in, I wouldn't consider it for use in the mountains but its a good everyday jacket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Substance over style. Layering as my3cents indicated is the way to go. I use just 3 layers in all weathers with a thin gortex rain jacket as the 4th layer if required.
    To me, my windproof is my water proof and the must important layer. Was up on Bearragh in the Mournes at -10 and it was no problem even with the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Layering makes a lot of sense for hiking in the hills but if I was walking up the Salthill Prom in the wind and rain, anything like an old ski jacket* would probably do a reasonable job, imo.

*Any reasonably well insulated, reasonably water resistant jacket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭obi604

Thanks.

What are people's opinions on the brand name " mountain warehouse "

And from the point of view of a walk in Ireland on a cold dry windy day. i.e. Not hiking or up a mountain etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

obi604 wrote: »
    Thanks.

What are people's opinions on the brand name " mountain warehouse "

And from the point of view of a walk in Ireland on a cold dry windy day. i.e. Not hiking or up a mountain etc

Well over priced and not great quality but as fashion wear its on a par with Regatta and Tresspass stuff.

The prices seem to revolve around the almost continuous half price sales that Mountain Warehouse have so half price seems to be the true price and value of their stuff. If you are buying their stuff just wait for a sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I've never paid over half price for any single item in Mountain Warehouse, in fact I have averaged about 60-70% off. And at that kinda price it is very good value for money. Good stuff if you're on a very tight budget, or if you are starting outdoor pursuits but are not sure if you're in it for the long term. I was both a few years ago

What I find silly in general is people taking up a new hobby, spending thousands on high quality gear, do it a few times and then the stuff gets dumped in the attic never to be seen or used again...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,112 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

my3cents wrote: »
    Well over priced and not great quality but as fashion wear its on a par with Regatta and Tresspass stuff.

For the price Regatta and Trespass are good value. Okay you won't wear them hiking Everest but they are capable enough for Irish climes.
    Unkel wrote:
    What I find silly in general is people taking up a new hobby, spending thousands on high quality gear, do it a few times and then the stuff gets dumped in the attic never to be seen or used again...

Or who wear Berhaus to walk the kids around the local play park :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Or who wear Berhaus to walk the kids around the local play park :)[/QUOTE]

Berghaus are a low to mid end jacket, good for wearing around the park. TNF as popular on shoppers in Blanchardstown Town Centre as it is on the hills.

Patagonia, Haglofs or Arc'teryx, now there you're talking rare as hens teeth. Proper walkers brands :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

The problem with some of the cheaper alternatives is that they shed like crazy and the outer fabric is not as durable and prone to ripping

Sportpursuit is a great site for bargains. I would go out walking 3-4 nights a week in the current climate and just wear a base layer and my marmot goretex minimalist jacket which is wind proof and waterproof should I get caught in a shower. Walking with a down jacket you can over heat very quickly that's why with layers you can lose one. The marmot has pit zips that help with ventilation and you can always open the front zips to allow air in

The base layer is crucial in that it is breathable. I got a HH hybrid layer that cost me 40 eur but well worth it

If I was to recommend a lightweight down jacket it would be either the Patagonia down sweater or Rabs fantastic Microlight Alpine but they will set you back over 200 but will last a long time. I got Mrs Luthor a Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer Down Jacket on SP for 145e. Normally retail nearly double that, just got lucky that her size was available as the last few. Her only complaint is that it doesn't have an inside zipped pocket but its a seriously great jacket. She was never sold on the more expensive brands and had a couple of "cheap" down jackets but she is never without this now

What size are you? I have a Size Small MARMOT AMA Dablam in black on my adverts page if interested

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭obi604

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    The problem with some of the cheaper alternatives is that they shed like crazy and the outer fabric is not as durable and prone to ripping

Sportpursuit is a great site for bargains. I would go out walking 3-4 nights a week in the current climate and just wear a base layer and my marmot goretex minimalist jacket which is wind proof and waterproof should I get caught in a shower. Walking with a down jacket you can over heat very quickly that's why with layers you can lose one. The marmot has pit zips that help with ventilation and you can always open the front zips to allow air in

The base layer is crucial in that it is breathable. I got a HH hybrid layer that cost me 40 eur but well worth it

If I was to recommend a lightweight down jacket it would be either the Patagonia down sweater or Rabi fantastic Microlight Alpine but they will set you back over 200 but will last a long time. I got Mrs Luthor a Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer Down Jacket on SP for 145e. Normally retail nearly double that, just got lucky that her size was available as the last few. Her only complaint is that it doesn't have an inside zipped pocket but its a seriously great jacket. She was never sold on the more expensive brands and had a couple of "cheap" down jackets but she is never without this now

What size are you? I have a Size Small MARMOT AMA Dablam in black on my adverts page if interested

thanks.

I would be L or XL.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

It can be hit & miss buying online aswell with certain brands.
    Look at the fit, some are Standard and some classed as Active
    If its standard, you should be ok with your normal size, but if active then maybe go a size up. Columbia tend to be big fitting. Sometimes best to go to one of the big stores and try on. I was in 53 Deg North recently and they are having a clearance sale and you could just hit the jackpot on a jacket, the one in Blanch definitely had a couple of Rab Microlight Alpines reduced down to 127eur from 250e in L or XL in good colours too
    You wont get a better jacket for the money

Advertisement