Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Recording - Vocals primarily

Options
  • 21-02-2017 8:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hello all, I would like to setup a home recording
    primary objective is to record vocals...though this will develop into recording acoustic guitar and piano (piano is electric with midi interface)
    current equipment is a MacBook pro (i5) with GarageBand which I have used to relatively good effect using a standard Skype headset/mic.
    to improve i have been looking at the following
    - Blue Yeti - USB microphone\
    - Blue Snowball
    - Neewer Gold Studio
    ..but then started reading about audio interfaces...such as the M-Audio M track 2x2M (which would cater for 2 mics)

budget is around 100 to 150 stg...the audio interface setup will push that...but maybe worth it n the long run.?

appreciate any comments

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Sham Squire

You'd be best off spending some money on an audio interface. Couple of reasons for this:
    First off you can't get decent audio out of a Macbook without an interface so you can't really trust what you're hearing. The one place Apple do cut corners is on headphone jacks.
    Secondly, you can spend less on a multipurpose mic like an sm58 and get good sound rather than spending a lot on a high quality USB mic.
    As you progress and get better at recording you can start down the rabbit hole of pumping more and more money into the set up but to start I would highly recommend getting the best audio interface you can afford and decent workhorse mic like the SM58.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭TroutMask

With home recording setups I tend to go 'bargain basement' or 'primo setup' depending on the budget (you have not mentioned budget). Sham Squier is correct with his interface comments. You could do a lot worse than Behringer these days (they had a bad rep but have rebooted themselves with the acquisition of MIDAS!). Get one with a MIDI input/output for your keyboard. 
    As far as mics goes, I'd stay away from BLUE, and from USB mics in general.  I wouldn't go for an SM58 as it primarily a live vocal mic. It can be (and is) used for live vocals in the studio – but it more associated with rock vocals. e.g., Midnite Oil. A good entry level large diaphragm condenser (LDC) would probably be more appropriate, I have one that I use on everything (although sometimes in conjunction with other mics). A good mic that punches above its weight, yet at an 'entry level' price is this: 

http://microphone-parts.co.uk/collections/microphones/products/mini-k47

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

if you get a hi quality interface with a great preamp ( or built in preamp )

you can do wonders with am sm58 - take the screen off , put it on a stand and sing into a pop filter about 6 inches away from the mic.

UAD appolo or somesuch

then make sure

1/ you record in a dead room ( cupboard with loads of blankets / duvets / clothes . deadening BEHIND the singer ( and some to the sides if possible )

2/ great vocals mean great editing - put a hi pass eq filter on at 100 hz or so

then clip gain / volume envelope the finshed combo track of vocal takes
    to bring out the most level and best performance ,

this means editing breathes , clicks , pops , sibliance , and even syllable by syllable if thats what is required - and level the performane until it is level all along

do this before even touching a compressor or major eq

you can automate the finshed track in the mix later for final performace tweaks.

Advertisement