Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about Syringes / Needles

Options
  • 21-02-2017 8:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hello,

I am writing a novel and I am trying to figure something out which is important to the plot. I wonder if you help me with a question. I have tried to find the answer on Google but they have managed to hide it well.

Does a phlebotomy syringe exist that is NOT made from steel or iron? Perhaps from copper or some other metal? One of my characters has extreme hemochromatosis (iron allergy) which means a standard steel syringe cannot be used to take a blood sample from her.

Thank you for taking the time to read my question.

Kind regards,
    Warriormonk

Comments

Hello,

I am writing a novel and I am trying to figure something out which is important to the plot. I wonder if you help me with a question. I have tried to find the answer on Google but they have managed to hide it well.

Does a phlebotomy syringe exist that is NOT made from steel or iron? Perhaps from copper or some other metal? One of my characters has extreme hemochromatosis (iron allergy) which means a standard steel syringe cannot be used to take a blood sample from her.

Kind regards,
    Warriormonk

If there is I've never seen one. Stainless steel is used because it is hypoallergenic. You know hemochromatosis refers to an overload of iron in the body, not an allergy to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Warrior Monk

If there is I've never seen one. Stainless steel is used because it is hypoallergenic. You know hemochromatosis refers to an overload of iron in the body, not an allergy to it?

Thanks for your advice Piratequeen.
    I thought the overload of iron in the body (hemochromatosis) led to an allergy of iron? I'm probably wrong, I'm no doctor.

So therefore, if someone had a severe allergy to iron (more than just not being able to eat high-iron foods), they may not be able to give blood samples without extreme discomfort or illness? That sucks.

Thanks for your advice Piratequeen.
    I thought the overload of iron in the body (hemochromatosis) led to an allergy of iron? I'm probably wrong, I'm no doctor.

So therefore, if someone had a severe allergy to iron (more than just not being able to eat high-iron foods), they may not be able to give blood samples without extreme discomfort or illness? That sucks.

I'm not a doctor either but I am doing a PhD in immunology so I know a little about the area.

As far as I am aware hemochromatosis doesn't result in an allergy to iron (in that there is no immune response towards iron) but the symptoms of the condition are a result of iron accumulation in the body leading to iron toxicity. Patients are in fact often advised to have regular blood draws to lower their iron levels, as well as avoiding high iron foods.

I've never heard of an allergy to iron itself, but I imagine this would probably be life threatening or fatal as iron is a crucial component of many essential proteins, including hemoglobin in red blood cells. Again I'm not a doctor so I don't know if it's impossible or if there have been cases but from a quick search I've only seen reports of allergies to iron-alloys or oral formulations (which I expect would be a result of a reaction against other components rather than the iron itself). It seems unlikely to me that such an allergy would be compatible with life but maybe someone else on here can prove me wrong!

So to answer your question I've never heard of someone having a contact dermatitis reaction (or anaphylaxis) from a sterile syringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Hello,

Kind regards,
    Warriormonk

Iron allergy!! Hemochromatosis is a disorder whereby too much iron is produced. The treatment for it is regular blood draws. With regular syringes.

I think there are several holes in your story. For example if someone was to go into anaphylaxis, would their epi pen have metal in it?

You might be better to look at something like mercury toxicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭laserlad2010

Christ Sullivlo don't bring up mercury toxicity you'll attract unwanted attention:D:D:D:rolleyes:

OP, did you even google Haemochromatosis?! It's a disorder of iron overload. Causes organ failure due to buildup in liver/pancreas for example. Can be managed with regular phlebotomy (interesting note - despite these folks being a regular, guaranteed source of blood products they are ineligible as blood donors... ethics eh)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

(interesting note - despite these folks being a regular, guaranteed source of blood products they are ineligible as blood donors... ethics eh)

Haemochromatosis patients can donate blood (once they meet the same eligibility standards as everyone else)
    https://www.giveblood.ie/Clinical_Services/Haemochromatosis/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Haemachromatoisis is not an allergy it is iron overload

As far as I am aware steel needles do not contain iron.
    Syringes are made of plastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

The treatment for haemochromatosis is taking blood with a bog standard venesection needle. You're off the mark here.

Advertisement