Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House hunting Douglas.

Options
  • 21-02-2017 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Viewing a house in Inchvale Park, Shamrock Lawn,I'm not too familiar with that area,anyone here have any experience/views on the place?Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

It's a nice mature estate, I've never heard or any problems (social) with the area. Very good location obviously being so close to the village/car park :D

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

Shamrock Lawn is grand. Quiet out. Teenagers long grown up and moved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Snottybridge, great name!

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭SkySter

Live at the end of Shamrock Lawn for over 20 years. Quite area. Near school, shops, restaurants and pubs. Easy access to public transport. Plenty going for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Lekrub

What did you make of the area/house in the end? See it's still around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭snottybridge

Lekrub wrote: »
    What did you make of the area/house in the end? See it's still around.

Nice area/house, I actually posted for my son who was viewing 1 of 2 houses for sale there, house went way above asking price in the end, he looked at another further up the hill towards Grange, that too went way above the asking.

Nice area/house, I actually posted for my son who was viewing 1 of 2 houses for sale there, house went way above asking price in the end, he looked at another further up the hill towards Grange, that too went way above the asking.

Cheers for getting back. Normal then it's on sale agreed but ads are not updated. That's pretty disheartening to hear both went way above the asking. The prices are ridiculous. And no solution in sight...but paying for water? Thats a huge deal!🙄

... house went way above asking price in the end, he looked at another further up the hill towards Grange, that too went way above the asking.

yep, that's Douglas for ya...we're back to this crap of sale agreed prices soaring well above of asking price.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Fairdues

May need to move a bit further out. Is he heart set on Douglas area?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭snottybridge

Fairdues wrote: »
    May need to move a bit further out. Is he heart set on Douglas area?

He's looking in Douglas more for convenience, fairly regular bus service there as he doesn't drive, I think you're right though, he may have to start looking in other areas.

• Advertisement

He's looking in Douglas more for convenience, fairly regular bus service there as he doesn't drive, I think you're right though, he may have to start looking in other areas.
    There's a good social life in Douglas and it's great being convenient to various services. If the houses are out of his reach, a little further away or another area might be necessary though. Not having a car does limit to places with good public transport links though, so I can see why he would be opting for the Douglas side.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭liamjames1

Can someone clear something up for me. I am regularly noticing houses selling for way above the asking in Douglas / Rochestown area.

Recently heard of a house sold for 275k and an identical house 2 doors down put on the market a month later for 220k. Obviously it sold well above asking.

Is there any legislation / audit board to stop auctioneers from doing this? I had heard there was?

One auctioneers in Douglas is notorious for it at this stage.

liamjames1 wrote: »
    Can someone clear something up for me. I am regularly noticing houses selling for way above the asking in Douglas / Rochestown area.

Recently heard of a house sold for 275k and an identical house 2 doors down put on the market a month later for 220k. Obviously it sold well above asking.

Is there any legislation / audit board to stop auctioneers from doing this? I had heard there was?

to stop what exactly? There's nothing wrong with a vendor setting their asking price low, it's an effective way to get attention and get a nice bidding war going, sickening and annoying as that may sound.

Now if you're referring to another phenomenon that is phantom bidding then perhaps you have a point about trying to stop it, but first you must prove that it exists which the auctioneers will vehemently deny such a thing happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bigbrotherfan

Hard to believe we're back at this stage, when the bottom fell out of the market, just a few short years ago. It definitely seems to go in cycles and now that things are gone daft again, it may be worth waiting until this madness is over. I was thinking of buying a property during the previous boom, when a relative of mine kept telling me there would be a crash and NOT to buy. Luckily, I took his advice. The fact that rents are so high is putting more pressure on people to buy now though.

to stop what exactly? There's nothing wrong with a vendor setting their asking price low, it's an effective way to get attention and get a nice bidding war going, sickening and annoying as that may sound.

Now if you're referring to another phenomenon that is phantom bidding then perhaps you have a point about trying to stop it, but first you must prove that it exists which the auctioneers will vehemently deny such a thing happens.

Time wasting for one. Using it as a method of gathering names and numbers.

Not saying it's not a good sales tactic but just feel sorry for people who plod along with 5-10% fat in there budget only to see it sell for 20% above ask and theyve been used as a stalking horse to drive price time and time again.

Realistically in such a liquid market if you can't guide a house to within 10% of sale price in 90% of your cases you'd have to wonder why not?

I need to read the legislation in detail again but think there is something in there in section 6 part 55 onwards.

Houses in estates can vary considerably in terms of condition, extensions, maintenance, quality of decor, windows, insulation, aspect, site, size of site/garden, privacy, etc. etc. I am aware of houses within the same park where there is a considerable variation in asking price, which reflects the above. It does not always have to be a case of what's listed in the above posts.

Houses in estates can vary considerably in terms of condition, extensions, maintenance, quality of decor, windows, insulation, aspect, site, size of site/garden, privacy, etc. etc. I am aware of houses within the same park where there is a considerable variation in asking price, which reflects the above. It does not always have to be a case of what's listed in the above posts.

Understood and agreed.

But you are addressing an example I used not the point I'm making.

They are "experts" so factor this into the valuation / guide.

Understood and agreed.

But you are addressing an example I used not the point I'm making.

They are "experts" so factor this into the valuation / guide.

Also understood and agreed. This is another important consideration to factor in, nonetheless, while not in any way dismissing your point.

yep, that's Douglas for ya...we're back to this crap of sale agreed prices soaring well above of asking price.

Have also heard of a few cases of gazumping of late and not just in Douglas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Hard to believe we're back at this stage, when the bottom fell out of the market, just a few short years ago. It definitely seems to go in cycles and now that things are gone daft again, it may be worth waiting until this madness is over. I was thinking of buying a property during the previous boom, when a relative of mine kept telling me there would be a crash and NOT to buy. Luckily, I took his advice. The fact that rents are so high is putting more pressure on people to buy now though.
    Did you buy in 2013, at the bottom of the market instead? 

There's a difference now. In 2007/2008, some people were buying second and third properties, holiday homes etc, Leveraging equity in one house to buy more houses, and all sorts of similar nonsense, along with those who just wanted someplace to live and were seeing everything flying out of their reach. 

What I see now, is people in their 20's and 30's, who are now older and simply looking to buy a place to live. There's a lack of supply, because the builders went bust as well, so the prices are rising. What I'm more worried about, is the return of the cowboy builder.

• Advertisement

Just for interest I am putting this up here.

http://www.daft.ie/cork/houses-for-sale/frankfield/185-west-avenue-park-gate-frankfield-cork-1416670/

A similar property (I can't see the difference from what is available) a couple of doors down closed on the property price register for €320k and another one for €300k in the last 2 months so wondering why this has gone up for €240k.

I will update this after it closes to see actual selling price just for our reference.

Just for interest I am putting this up here.

http://www.daft.ie/cork/houses-for-sale/frankfield/185-west-avenue-park-gate-frankfield-cork-1416670/

A similar property (I can't see the difference from what is available) a couple of doors down closed on the property price register for €320k and another one for €300k in the last 2 months so wondering why this has gone up for €240k.

I will update this after it closes to see actual selling price just for our reference.

There could be another reason why the house is selling,'As is'. I don't know the house, obviously but sometimes, a house could need significant work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Was actively trying to buy in a town with limited supply from 2010 till we finally bought in 2016 and the tactic of setting a low price to encourage a bidding war when people get emotionally attached happened as often at the bottom of the market as it does now.
    I bought a house for 60k more than the asking and the next door neighbor house with a much smaller garden sold two months after for 10k more. It could have gone 10k less just as easily and I think we both did quite well really.
    What I did having been on the losing side very often was to tell the auctioneer we had agreed to buy elsewhere but it looked like a divorcing couple and it might not go through and could he get back to us when he was close to going agreed. The sudden appearance of a new bidder can turn others off.

Other than an estate agent tactic one thing I came across surprisingly often were houses being sold for significantly less then one would expect but there was some planning issues and it was being sold without a certificate of compliance and so you couldn't get a mortgage on it. Cash only.

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Was actively trying to buy in a town with limited supply from 2010 till we finally bought in 2016 and the tactic of setting a low price to encourage a bidding war when people get emotionally attached happened as often at the bottom of the market as it does now.
    I bought a house for 60k more than the asking and the next door neighbor house with a much smaller garden sold two months after for 10k more. It could have gone 10k less just as easily and I think we both did quite well really.
    What I did having been on the losing side very often was to tell the auctioneer we had agreed to buy elsewhere but it looked like a divorcing couple and it might not go through and could he get back to us when he was close to going agreed. The sudden appearance of a new bidder can turn others off.

Other than an estate agent tactic one thing I came across surprisingly often were houses being sold for significantly less then one would expect but there was some planning issues and it was being sold without a certificate of compliance and so you couldn't get a mortgage on it. Cash only.
    It's very hard to trust auctioneers as it seems, with a lot of them, it seems to be games being played. Some are obviously more straightforward then others but phantom bidders are always a worry.

I bid and lost on possibly up to a dozen houses since the property price register came in and never once was the sale price not equal or above the price on it.

Not said there aren't shenanigans but less often then people expect and less often phantom bidding. I remember two homes that were bank sales from a developer that were asking a lot (next door to each other small development), I told auctioneer to let me know if price was going to drop as what I could afford was well below the asking. About two years later both houses sold on the same day for 1 euro apart and well below what I told the auctioneer I was willing to pay. I would have viewed houses in the mean time with the same auctioneer so he knew we were still in the market.

bump...Has anyone gone sale agreed on a house yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Lekrub wrote: »
    bump...Has anyone gone sale agreed on a house yet?

I have been for the last month, won't pin point location but not a million miles from Douglas. Haunted everything is going so smoothly so far.

CHealy wrote: »
    I have been for the last month, won't pin point location but not a million miles from Douglas. Haunted everything is going so smoothly so far.

Fingers crossed for you, great to have own place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Fingers crossed for you, great to have own place.

Nice one. Only got approved start of January, looked at about 15 places over the next month and bidded on 4 until we got lucky with this place, things well in motion now so fingers crossed. I'll be some lucky bollox if I pull it all off in the space of 6 or 7 months after hearing stories of people at it for a few years.

• Advertisement

CHealy wrote: »

Nice one, I'm more or less in the same situation. Just got to the sale agreed stage. Did you get an pre sale inspection? (not the valuation for the bank).

I got an engineer to check the house over. I mainly wanted to find out for subsidence since I heard so much about it and even saw some ads on daft saying their houses were already underpinned.

He done the inspection and sent a long report but it basically says he can only vouch for visual aspects and yea everything is fine. He didn't check the gas boiler or heating system, or electrics, or drains, or much else. And as far as subsidence goes he can't help you should insurance companies.

I feel like a car get's a more thorough check than a house. Any of these jump up for you?

Advertisement