Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for quick, reliable PC

Options
  • 21-02-2017 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭

I am looking for a quick, reliable PC for my office. Budget would be preferably lower then €500. I started looking and found below on Viking but to be frank I'm not sure how good that would be.

http://www.vikingdirect.ie/mb/searchFilter.do?fkey=EAuUQ_L-CMswPJ0ybr2YEwM&Ntt=4972083

I have used laptops for years but find they slow down quickly. So I am going to buy a desktop computer in the hope its more reliable.

I don't add many apps to my computer. It seems the things that slow it down the most are the virus software , Microsoft edge (on rare occasions I use it), cloud backup (carbonate) and some other things that randomly work in the background. I've run all sorts of protection scans (malware, virus, cccleaner etc) and the laptop was cleaned by a pro less then a year ago but performance regular drops.

Few weeks ago the laptop wouldn't work for a day and then sort of fixed itself after a couple of scans (that didn't show up anything) and being switched on and off .

Thanks for any tips in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Joeface

Hi Drumpot ,
    you will find desktops slow down over time as well. The system you linked like many others have standard Hard drives in them . If your looking for quick maybe consider upgrading your laptop to an SSD drive . Cheaper than getting a new system and it is probably the single biggest performance boost you can give .

Probably not the reply your looking for but worth considering

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

The system (windows, I guess) is slowing down, not laptop or desktop. Unless you have a clogged fan and the computer is overheating. SSD makes huge difference - I gave my old laptop a new life with SSD for the system partition (linux).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Thanks for the advice..

Is it easy to update the SSD like you mentioned or would it be better paying a progressional to arrange same? Also would that wipe the laptop clean or does it just speed up the PC?

I would be concerned that there maybe a fan issue as it would be running hard frequently even if I'm not using it!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Fan usage (normally correlating with CPU usage) can also mean there's background maintenance going on.

If you buy an SSD you can either do a clean install of windows, or migrate your existing installation (as long as your SSD has at least as much space as the used space on your existing disk). Some SSDs come with proprietary software to do this; you can also look at things like Acronis True Image WD Edition (free to use if you have a Western Digital disk in your PC; there's also an equivalent free version if you've got a Seagate disk in there).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Joeface

Agree clean install on an SSD , If you get an upgrade kit like

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-SSDNow-Desktop-Notebook-Upgrade/dp/B01FRP253W/ref=sr_1_4?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1487709417&sr=1-4&keywords=ssd+upgrade+kit

you can just put your old drive in to the external case so you don't really lose anything .

Also cleaning out the fan and heat-sink vent of dust can help a lot with fan noise.

• Advertisement
Advertisement