Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling to work facilities

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If anyone knows of available office space for about 4 people in Dublin city centre with shower facilities (or even a non-communal basin) and somewhere to lock a bike, I'd appreciate a PM.

Our serviced office rent has just been doubled to 3k/month (:eek:) so we're out in mid-May.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Lumen wrote: »
    If anyone knows of available office space for about 4 people in Dublin city centre with shower facilities (or even a non-communal basin) and somewhere to lock a bike, I'd appreciate a PM.

Our serviced office rent has just been doubled to 3k/month (:eek:) so we're out in mid-May.

Just did a cursory google for office to rent in Dublin city centre with showers & bike storage; look at regis in harcourt st. Ad was hosted on daft. Up to 11 people. Overkill for what you guys need but where there's that, I'm sure there's smaller offerings.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

Anyone know how this is done in Belgium, Holland or Denmark? It would seem that this is a massive un-met need. Components as I would see it are:
    1. Secure locking facility, which is covered or indoor. Swipe-card access.
    2. Changing room with lockers. Enough space where you could keep shirts, jacket and so on.
    3. Showers which are serviced: Cleaned and a towel service
    4. Drying facility, which is well vented, serviced and secure.

This looks like a business to me. What would you pay for a facility like this? I'd pay around €10/week

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

Anyone know how this is done in Belgium, Holland or Denmark? It would seem that this is a massive un-met need. Components as I would see it are:
    1. Secure locking facility, which is covered or indoor. Swipe-card access.
    2. Changing room with lockers. Enough space where you could keep shirts, jacket and so on.
    3. Showers which are serviced: Cleaned and a towel service
    4. Drying facility, which is well vented, serviced and secure.

This looks like a business to me. What would you pay for a facility like this? I'd pay around €10/week

From my impression over there, they cycle in their work clothes at a lesser pace (and probably make good progress due to decent facilities/priority) and then just go about their day without need for a change/shower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

buffalo wrote: »
    From my impression over there, they cycle in their work clothes at a lesser pace (and probably make good progress due to decent facilities/priority) and then just go about their day without need for a change/shower.

Yes - they cycle in a "leisurely" manner in their normal clothes which they wear for the day.

I see the difference being they dont have to battle with traffic and generally always have safe lanes to cycle in so they can potter along. They are always texting/on the phone etc - they dont have to cycle as defensively as us!

Also maybe we are sweatier than our elegant continental relations. I dream about being the stylish woman on her dutch bike listening to music on her phone while gliding through the city but im more like a demented Taz devil trying to dodge pot holes!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

I stopped commuting in ' gear ' a few years ago. Its a lot easier to do than you might think. A fresh set of work clothes each day, a fold up rain jacket & trousers in the backpack along with mudguards for wet days and you're all set. I used to bring baby wipes but they aren't really necessary.

Some days in summer it might get sweaty and I'll wear a cycling jersey and bring a shirt in. On wet wintry days I'll bring in work shoes and change when I get there.

My employer is very car orientated. My experience is most employers aren't especially cycle friendly so you may as well do your own thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Parchment wrote: »
    Yes - they cycle in a "leisurely" manner in their normal clothes which they wear for the day.

I see the difference being they dont have to battle with traffic and generally always have safe lanes to cycle in so they can potter along. They are always texting/on the phone etc - they dont have to cycle as defensively as us!

Also maybe we are sweatier than our elegant continental relations. I dream about being the stylish woman on her dutch bike listening to music on her phone while gliding through the city but im more like a demented Taz devil trying to dodge pot holes!

I cycle to work every day in Holland. I just cycle in my normal clothes and its a relaxed cycle.
    There are some people that cycle in in full gear and change. We do have very bad shower facilities but nowhere to store wet clothes. We just moved into a new building as well so im surprised they didnt build proper facilities.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    I stopped commuting in ' gear ' a few years ago.
    what sort of distance are you covering?
    i'm going to be back to a 20km each way commute soon. i will be able to bottle my sweat at the end of that spin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

what sort of distance are you covering?
    i'm going to be back to a 20km each way commute soon. i will be able to bottle my sweat at the end of that spin.

I've two sites. One is a 40km round trip and the other is 30km. About 5 days a month I'm doing the 40km.

I think there's a tendency to ride fast when you share the road with vehicles but slowing down just a bit makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Very lucky with the facilities in my work place. Tons of secure bike parking, showers and lockers. What we do lack is a 'dry room' but I hang my lycra on the end of a clothes rail situated beside my desk so it doesn't bother me and it's always dry by home time.

If I were to consider changing jobs, I think I'd have cycling facilities high on my priority list.

• Advertisement
Advertisement