Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VFC SCAR-L Barrel

Options
  • 21-02-2017 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

So I recently bought a used VFC SCAR-L. I did a check up and everything was fine. No problems except for one thing. There was a crack on the outer barrel and now the outer barrel is broken. I want to replace it wih another one. But I dont know how to take the outer barrel off. Some people say you have to force it off and have the risk to brewk the threads and some people say its a easy as unscrewing like anything else.
    Help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

The barrel is held in by screws on the upper, the screws are in the raised section behind the side rails. There is (or should be) a tool for loosening the screws under the front sight, it's the same one that's used to adjust the hop up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

The VFC scar-L outer barrel just screws off ... as in it's threaded. I own one; I've done it. That applies equally to both flash hider and outer barrel if one is attached. There's no need to be messing about with screws,

If you're wanting to change your setup from standard to CQC inner/barrel lengths, then yes it involves more work and unscrewing of things of a screwy-nature as you need to gain access to the Hop-chamber to reassemble it.

Lemming wrote: »
    The VFC scar-L outer barrel just screws off ... as in it's threaded.
    I think that was only the early ones. I have a 16" barrel version that's a single piece from where the hop up chamber sits to the flash hider.

Evade wrote: »
    I think that was only the early ones. I have a 16" barrel version that's a single piece from where the hop up chamber sits to the flash hider.

Just did a cursory glance on google; why VFC did that change is beyond me ... unless they're trying to pimp a separate "kit" of course. But all things considered; if it ain't broke, don't "fix" it :-/

Lemming wrote: »
    Just did a cursory glance on google; why VFC did that change is beyond me ... unless they're trying to pimp a separate "kit" of course.
    They are, you can buy the single unit in 12" and 20" versions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 kryptic2

If it is threaded then I cant really screw it off because the majority of the barrel broke off and theres not enough space for good grip to unscrew it. Ive stripped the gun and Im at the barrel. I dont see any screws or anything, Im not sure what to do...

Is the barrel out of the upper receiver?

Yes it is.

I took off the top rail and everything. Im just left with the outer and inner barrel and the front flip up sights.

I thought you were having trouble getting the barrel out of the upper so ignore my post.

If it is one of the originals with the screw on barrel extender you could jam something like a really big screwdriver or an old wood chisel into the barrel and try use that to turn it.

Do you have any idea how old it is? They switched to one piece barrels seven years ago when I got mine.

• Advertisement

Im not sure. I know some of them have different text on the upper reciever.
    Mine says: MK16 MOD 0
    CAL. 5.56 MM.
    And above that it says: FN HERSTAL BELGIUM
    B0897
    I saw some guns in white text but mine is kind of brown-gray.
    And there isnt a logo or anything.

kryptic2 wrote: »
    Im not sure. I know some of them have different text on the upper reciever.
    Mine says: MK16 MOD 0
    CAL. 5.56 MM.
    And above that it says: FN HERSTAL BELGIUM
    B0897
    I saw some guns in white text but mine is kind of brown-gray.
    And there isnt a logo or anything.

think we need pictures of the problem at this stage ...

IF it's an early version SCAR-L, like mine, and it's jsut the outer barrel extension that you're trying to get off, it's threaded. If it's been overtightened it'll come loose with a bit of elbow-grease and effort. May take a few goes but it can be done.

Ignore the colours for the moment, but simple question. Is your Scar set up like this?
    vfc-aeg-mk16-bk81_1_mark.jpg
    http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/v/f/vfc-aeg-mk16-bk81_1_mark.jpg
    Or like this?

VFC-AEG-SCARLG-FDE_1_mark.jpg
    http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/V/F/VFC-AEG-SCARLG-FDE_1_mark.jpg

Its like the second one expect fully black and the stock is different.

Ok, so you do not have the CQC setup. Where on the outer barrel is the issue? You've said its cracked/broken. Is it the outer barrel that's cracked?, or the gas block/front-sight assembly (the grey block sitting between outer barrel and upper assembly - which would most definitely need Allen-keys/screwdrivers to remove)?

If you have an early model SCAR, that outer barrel will literally just unscrew by hand as it's threaded. Unless it's seized in which case you'll need to apply some persistent elbow-grease to get it unstuck. Note; it unscrews from in front of the gas block, not with the gas block.

https://i.imgur.com/TfLrBMB.jpg Heres what it looks like.

https://i.imgur.com/TfLrBMB.jpg Heres what it looks like.

How did you manage to do that? Looks like the outer barrel was cut .....

In any case, see the tiny bit of the outer barrel left? THat should be threaded. Get the elbow-grease and non-slip gloves on ....

Edit: looking again, looks like the very 'tip' of the small bit left is part of the threading ....

Do you think if I used a pipe wrench I could be able to take it off?

Do you think if I used a pipe wrench I could be able to take it off?

I don't know. I have never seen this sort of issue with a VFC Scar before. A vice grip would be more appropriate but I would really try giving it some elbow-grease effort with a non-slip grip of some sort.

If you can't, or you simply trash everything trying to get the outer barrel stump off, you'll have to buy the individual replacement parts and an inner barrel of course.

Advertisement