Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlow to Leeson St Bridge Commute - Possible? For a complete novice?

• 21-02-2017 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Complete novice question here, but any advice or "cop on to yourself" insights would be appreciated.

I've recently started a new job which will require me to travel to the Leeson St bridge area on the canal. I currently live in Carlow.

For a number of reasons, moving up is not possible for the foreseeable future. I'm also on the waiting list for a car parking space and apparently the wait time is at least 18 months.

At the moment, I use public transport, which isn't bad at all. Train at 7:10am, 145 bus from Heuston and arrive at the office at 8:55. In truth, it is not a bad commute at all and I know lots who are in a much worse off position.

What I was wondering was, if it is possible to use a motorcycle from door to door.

I'm 28 and passed my car driving test over 10 years ago, so the DoTTaS, advised that I may have some exemptions that would not apply to people starting from scratch trying to get a motorcycle license. However, I would still have to pass my full test before driving on a motorway, naturally enough.

I would have to take the following items into consideration.

-No motorcycle experience in any way, shape or form.
    -The danger of driving a motorcycle on a motorway.
    -Weather conditions. Both for driving danger and also on your body.
    -Sheer effort of that commute two ways, on your body, in addition to working all day.

In general, I am a confident, but cautious driver in a car, however, regardless of how careful I am, I presume it is a completely different kettle of fish on a motorcycle.

If I were to spend a few months learning (lessons also of course), is that commute even worth considering?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Get plenty of lessons.

Driving on a motorway is the safest, and most boring, road for a bike since all traffic is moving the same direction you only need to watch for lane switching.

Weather and distance are both overcome with the bike and gear, get a bike with a decent fairing and the best gear you can afford to keep warm and dry. It's about an hour commute so is no problem with the proper gear and bike, just have a backup for the few days it freezes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Top box or side panniers and a change of clothes too.Some smelly stuff for the body too,as you will get clammy and sweaty in bike gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Mister-M5

Thanks very much for the replies, guys, really appreciate it.

I thought it was a lost cause, but delighted to see that it may be viable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Oh and you have no exception.you have to do full ibt based on your current license.

This is a good thing as the ibt is a great path to biking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,128 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

That's a lot of motorway.

Motorcycle commute is better than car commute but suffers from being dead time unless you're into podcasts or audiobooks, whereas on the train you can work or read.

Suggest you consider alternating motorbike and train for a bit of variety, particularly when weather is bad.

Also, bikes can be surprisingly thirsty. Choose well.

You could probably shave a bit off your current commute with a folding bicycle at either end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Ultimately you will need a fairly big bike (650+ cc)with fairings, heated grips, screen etc) and very good clothes. You will not be able to get a full license straight away. Get the license going ASAP and go for it.(I commute about 12000 miles per year, nearly into the city centre on a Honda Deauville and would suggest that's about the best size for the mixed traffic you will deal with).

Add: I predict you will never use the car space, in 18 months you will be all sorted and happy on the right bike.
    PS under the tatty gear and grubby bikes there are quite a few 'suits'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Its absolutely possibly but I would not do it straight away and the initial outlay will be expensive but will be made back in no time with savings. I would hatch a long term approach starting now. Slowly slowly catchy monkey to be honest, get the bike and take a month or two to get used to it without the commute then gradually get into it.

Do you have any friends in Dublin where you could commute to the house then bus it in to Leeson Street, as city centre traffic in rush hour commute is hard for vets on bikes never mind starting off regardless of what people here say.

When it comes to motorbikes there is no quick start hop on and go anymore the RSA seen to that.

Any tolls on that motorway??:pac::pac:;):D

• Site Banned Posts: 95 ✭✭EIRE forever

Any tolls on that motorway??:pac::pac:;):D

no tolls on the nass motorway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

no tolls on the nass motorway

Even if there was, just drive straight through them!!:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

That to me sounds a long and winding road for someone with zero bike experience .......alternatively you could get into bikes as a hobby and gradually build on that

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Mister-M5

Thanks again for the replies, folks.

I've decided that, regardless of the commute, I'm going to get up and running on motorcycles.

If it matures to the commute stage, all well and good, but it's something that I've been interested in for a long time, so why not.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭Plopli

That's doable but that's a fairly long commute and if the public transport one takes you ~1h30. I'm not sure you will shave much time of it (maybe ~20m each way) with the added risk.

I usually don't think that starting motorbiking only for a long daily commute is a good idea (short inside city commute is another story).
    Now if you do want to start biking, go for it !
    But do it because you want to have some fun and try something new and eventually use it for commuting.

As said by all the other, you'll need to take the licence, good gear and a not too small bike. This is going to cost you a fair investment (also look at the possible need of safe storage, battery tender, ...)
    Running cost are not to be forgotten too. Between insurance, tire, services, petrol, ... not sure you will save much money on the public transport (and you will need to keep up with services, tires and such if you have to rely on the bike for commuting).

And then you have rush hour traffic coming in Dublin and into Dublin itself.
    If you are not ok with filtering and lane splitting, you will be stuck behind the cars and you will loose all the advantage.
    Some of us never manage to get comfortable with it. You will not know before you get some experience.

If you look at biking from a rational point, you will never do it but that should not stop you.
    Everyone needs that bit of craziness. For some it's drugs, for other, it's bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭aerofoiled

Mister-M5 wrote: »
    Thanks again for the replies, folks.

I've decided that, regardless of the commute, I'm going to get up and running on motorcycles.

If it matures to the commute stage, all well and good, but it's something that I've been interested in for a long time, so why not.

Cheers

Without doubt, the best approach.

I've been on bikes for 15 years and I've a similar commute to you. Last year I decided to start using the bike for it. Yes, you save a good bit of time but it's mind-numbing. And at this time of year, it's not just your brain you have to worry about freezing!
    If I had been starting out, it might have coloured my view of biking that I could have packed the whole thing in.

I've now sold the sensible commuter and will stick to the other bikes in the shed for weekend fun, and the odd spin to work if the mood takes me.

Definitely get your license and get going - you won't regret it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

aerofoiled wrote: »
    Without doubt, the best approach.

I've been on bikes for 15 years and I've a similar commute to you. Last year I decided to start using the bike for it. Yes, you save a good bit of time but it's mind-numbing. And at this time of year, it's not just your brain you have to worry about freezing!
    If I had been starting out, it might have coloured my view of biking that I could have packed the whole thing in.

I've now sold the sensible commuter and will stick to the other bikes in the shed for weekend fun, and the odd spin to work if the mood takes me.

Definitely get your license and get going - you won't regret it!

People always seem to grumble through suffering as if it's part of the enjoyment.

Heated jacket I've the keis x10.
    Heated grips
    Hand guards.

Finally helmet with music or Audio book on it.

Commuting can be plenty of enjoyable.

Suffering through it with gloves a jacket and a hard face on ya isn't worth it.

Nasty commute on a windy and gusty day like today.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭robinwing

The idyllic mental picture of riding a motorbike and the reality are two different things. Think about heavy rain , crosswinds and having to be so very extra vigilant about stupid car drivers trying to kill you and contrast that with the comfort of train/bus . Bikes are lovely in fine warm weather , Not so between November and March, I ride a motorbike for pleasure when the humour takes me I would hate to have to rely on it in bad weather 24/365

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭raven41

Would not want the bike to be my only mode of transport. As has been stated above the weather can really throw a spanner in the works. Personally would have a 75/25 split between bike and other mode of transport with the non bike days reserved for inclement weather or days when you just didnt feel like it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭MSVforever

raven41 wrote: »
    Would not want the bike to be my only mode of transport. As has been stated above the weather can really throw a spanner in the works. Personally would have a 75/25 split between bike and other mode of transport with the non bike days reserved for inclement weather or days when you just didnt feel like it...

+1
    As much as I love being on the bike. I still like to have the back up of a car as well. It's no fun riding a bike in torrential cold rain (even though I do it as I hate being stuck in traffic) or when you have the flu, a strong head cold etc.

Advertisement