Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Total Knee Replacement

• 21-02-2017 11:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys. Hope I don't break any charters or rules here, but I need help. My mother (69) got a TKR 4 weeks ago. She's a bit overweight, and her doctor has been telling her for years she needs to lose the weight before a TKR can be done. She needs both done, and spoke to a private doctor and got it done through health care.

Anyway, prior to this, she has GAVE (gastric Antrim vascular ecstasia) which means anti inflammatories cause pollups to bleed in her stomach, so she can't take them. This means she's left with pain killers that don't actually do anything. She took a difene during the week and she was pain free for the day. But she can't take them regularly.

I'm not looking for what to get to give her, more recommendations that other people who are similar with GAVE might have. Anything mentioned will be mentioned to her doctor. She's regretting it immensely and I don't know what else to do, shes in constant pain and it hurts me to see her in such pain constantly.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry about the delay getting back, we're just back from Cork after having to visit due to the pain. Sent home the same way she went in.

It's not the actual knee that's sore, more the muscles at the back of the lower leg and her ankle. It's not throbbing, it's constant. Get little to no relief wether she is lying, sitting or standing.

She has an ice pack which is used, along with a hot water bottle afterwards. And she uses the ice pack very reguarly as she gets some release from it, but not a lot and it comes back full very soon after use.

She has been prescribed Tramol, Keapake and another one, but the Tramol makes her "stupid" and she doesn't like the feeling, and the Keapake upsets her stomach, and the 3rd one gave her horrible hallucinations, but thats because it was an opiod. A mixture of paracetamol and keapake gives bareable relief.

She was initially told 3 weeks and the crutches would be gone and she'd be back driving, and I think that She s not is playing on her. She probably shouldn't have been told it would be a quick recovery.

She has exercises to do, which she does as best she can, and was advised today to get rid of the crutches unless she's going outside, which she cant. Today, Dr. Mahalingham in the Mater in cork, told her to get physio. He said the wound is healed, re-dressed it and said he can't prescribe any different tablets if she can't take the ones she s already tried. She can't put weight

I'm trying to explain the seriousness of the operation and that it would take time, but she s stuck on being told that she'd be grand in no time. Thanks for the info!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement