Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nasa to host major press conference on 'discovery beyond our solar system'

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

drdeadlift wrote: »
    What could this be,a rock coming close to earth.A planet never before discovered.

Lat time i got my knickers in a twist over this it ended up being Betelgeuse or however its spelled going super nova.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/nasa-announcement-press-conference-today-solar-system-exoplanet-sun-planets-news-latest-a7590281.html

Neil degrasse Tyson is on Joe Rogan tomorrow so he might talk a lIttle about what ever it is.

It seems to be something to do with exoplanets. My money is that they found two earth like ones in the same system or something like that.
    It's amazing to see how this is all progressing. As recently as the 90's it was only speculative that exoplanets existed. Now, a short time later we have discovered thousands of them and know weather they are gas giants or rocky like earth etc. And things will only improve once the James Webb Space Telescope gets up there.
    I just hope that within my lifetime NASA or whoever holds one of these press conferences to tell the world they have detected signs of another civilisation due to the make up of the atmosphere of their planet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭arkrow

Every week they're finding a planet like earth lately. Yawn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

arkrow wrote: »
    Every week they're finding a planet like earth lately. Yawn.

Yea I hate it when that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I thought I'd heard about some new telescope that was able to actually see the planets rather than just infer they're there. They could block the light from the star and pick up the reflections of large Jupiter sized planets. Maybe they've refined it enough to see smaller planets?

Maybe they have further confirmation on that other giant planet?

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

It'll be about their use of a mobile launch pad for missions beyond the moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

And probably about the Chinese successfully testing ion propulsion and that they want to include those ewoks in extending the use of the ISS as an orbital defence base.. :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

My monies on a dysons sphere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

judeboy101 wrote: »
    My monies on a dysons sphere

You really do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

My hope it will be

ff39d9865b975e50204556b5a4f31a6015bb93968d2fb3391ae2a83bcc25c26d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Mmm...there was some hint about it being something that would create "new scenarios for Sci-Fi"; The last time that was mentioned (in relation to Star Wars), it was the discovery of planets orbiting a binary star system. Considering it can't be "planets around a trinary star system", because these were found out in 2008, my money is on either binary planets or two planets sharing the same orbit.

PS. re-reading this a few hours later...did I say "something"? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Harambe

Looking forward to the announcement, 6pm our time isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭storker

They've discovered a promising-looking exomoon called LV-426 and they're going to establish a terraforming colony there. Sounds safe enough...

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,293 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'm predicting they have discovered an anti-climax orbiting Jupiter :P

Advertisement