Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Wheelers Open Race 25/02/17

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

CramCycle wrote: »
    Had planned on doing it , then herself decided to book a weekend away for us .
    Also going to miss the Ras Naomh Finian the following week due to work .
    Looks like the first race for me this year will be the Boyne Gp.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

reckon i'm going to do summerhill so i have a few shhcoops with the game after.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

How much are open races nowadays? Just so I have the right cash on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

How much are open races nowadays? Just so I have the right cash on me.

Capped at €15 in Leinster.

Thanks Buffalo, good to have the right cash on the day.

Any tips for the course, I know it reasonably well and have, as I do every race, I will make plans about strategy and within 5 minutes, my childish impatience will get the better of me and I will go from the front, tire out in about 3 minutes, get caught, sit in for 10 minutes. Then for get that i wasn't good enough to ride off the front, ride off the front, and then back to the sentence before this one. In the last 8th of the race, I will fall off the back after my fifth attempt.

Really looking forward to another year. Might go full fred and wear the skinsuit, it is very comfy.

• Advertisement

Any tips for the course, I know it reasonably well and have, as I do every race, I will make plans about strategy and within 5 minutes, my childish impatience will get the better of me and I will go from the front, tire out in about 3 minutes, get caught, sit in for 10 minutes. Then for get that i wasn't good enough to ride off the front, ride off the front, and then back to the sentence before this one. In the last 8th of the race, I will fall off the back after my fifth attempt.

Really looking forward to another year. Might go full fred and wear the skinsuit, it is very comfy.
    As this starts from Elliots garage heading into a long straight , make sure you are at the front as last year many lads race was over within the first 1km due to getting spat out the back , after approx 5km there are a load of potholes so stay out from the left . As you prob know it finishes on doreys so it's a hill sprint and as it's 2 laps it will try and split on this after the 1st lap so make sure you are near the front on the first lap so as not to get dropped .
    Best of luck..... gutted I won't be there

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

are there one-day license?

are there one-day license?

Not sure but since they don't say it on the sheet, it is possible they are not as they have to have the sheet for it at the sign on. Probably best to mail one of the organisers (at the bottom of the second link in the first post).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Love this shredding of your race tactics...Reckon I'll be able to post same next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Not sure but since they don't say it on the sheet, it is possible they are not as they have to have the sheet for it at the sign on. Probably best to mail one of the organisers (at the bottom of the second link in the first post).

I did it last year on a one-day.

• Advertisement

It pretty much stays together all the way around in the A4. If you are off form you might get dropped on Dorey's the first time around (happened to me last year - had crashed the day before so wasn't feeling the love).

You really need to be up the pointy end on the last turn off the main road. hard to get up the bunch after that.

Then it's hedge to hedge into the finish. You need to be up the front but not right at the front going into Doreys -if you can follow a good wheel and be prepared to get past a whole lot of lads blowing up you are in with a shout! I went first into the sprint the year before and went from a glorious win (in my head anyway) to 40th in the space of seconds :D

dahat wrote: »
    Love this shredding of your race tactics...Reckon I'll be able to post same next year!
    Its funny, even when I did take training seriously, I was never good at race tactics. I suffer terribly from over analysis pre and post race but never during. The typical and expected hormone jumps, adrenaline rushes that you would expect during a race, I get before hand, very much in a Walter Mitty style fashion.
    daragh_ wrote: »
    It pretty much stays together all the way around in the A4. If you are off form you might get dropped on Dorey's the first time around (happened to me last year - had crashed the day before so wasn't feeling the love).

You really need to be up the pointy end on the last turn off the main road. hard to get up the bunch after that.

Then it's hedge to hedge into the finish. You need to be up the front but not right at the front going into Doreys -if you can follow a good wheel and be prepared to get past a whole lot of lads blowing up you are in with a shout! I went first into the sprint the year before and went from a glorious win (in my head anyway) to 40th in the space of seconds :D
    Cheers Daragh_, if I am not near the front going round the last bend then I plan to just roll in. If I am near the front, then it is just a decision on when to act stupid and start hammering it early or late. Still no idea what the legs are like. Commutes this week have been a mixed bag, feeling strong until today, then today the legs barely wanted to move. I did manage to rip my shoes apart on Monday, which may put a dampener on my plans. Currently using Duct tape to hold them together until next months pay cheque.

All the cool kids have duct tape on their shoes! Keep her lit!

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Derrydingle

Any results on the racing this morning don't see any reports on dw Facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

According to twitter

A1/2
    Paul Kennedy
    Marc Potts
    Philip Lavery
    Shannon

Not sure on the rest, first A1/2 race for me and a DNF. I punctured about 58k into A1/2 race. Was going decent til then, spent the entire race out of the pack so at least got some value from today and went a lot better than expected with the little training i've done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Jesus that was fairly rough. Don't know is the results for any of the races bar my own position. Forgot my Garmin this morning so no idea how far into the race it was but there was a pretty heavy crash in the first ~10km of the A4 race.

Pace was pretty relentless. One attack after another pretty much all day. Made a few attempts myself but no joy. Coming into the last corner before Dorey's forge I was in a pretty decent position but was pretty spent from attacking and chasing. Just before the climb started the eventual winner went off the front. I hesitated but shortly followed. I was catching him but had no idea where the bunch were. Started to blow just before the line but had a pretty substantial gap between myself and the main group. Happy with 2nd place.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Derrydingle

Bambaata wrote:
    Not sure on the rest, first A1/2 race for me and a DNF. I punctured about 58k into A1/2 race. Was going decent til then, spent the entire race out of the pack so at least got some value from today and went a lot better than expected with the little training i've done.

I say it is hard going with that weather this morning

Sarz91 wrote: »
    Jesus that was fairly rough. Don't know is the results for any of the races bar my own position. Forgot my Garmin this morning so no idea how far into the race it was but there was a pretty heavy crash in the first ~10km of the A4 race.
    A few tyres popped and the screams from a few sent panic threw the back 2/3. Thankfully most got round but the group had already split and the crash was just at the split. Thankfully I went up without touching anyone but ended up just stuck on the pile. Just stood still and hope I wasn't hit. Lucan rider took a bang to the head but was quick enough to cover up. In the end it took 4 of us out of the race and took much chance of the groups rejoining as it was on a beFair play,f the table. First 5km were hammering from the gun. North of 40 from 10 seconds. Hit 50 a few times.
    Pace was pretty relentless. One attack after another pretty much all day. Made a few attempts myself but no joy. Coming into the last corner before Dorey's forge I was in a pretty decent position but was pretty spent from attacking and chasing. Just before the climb started the eventual winner went off the front. I hesitated but shortly followed. I was catching him but had no idea where the bunch were. Started to blow just before the line but had a pretty substantial gap between myself and the main group. Happy with 2nd place.
    Fair play, insane pace for A4

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

Bambaata wrote: »

heh, I know who you are now. :) Hard luck, that was some strong riding in the move until then.

Glad to hear you're okay CramCycle - never good to see an ambo stopped during a race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

44km race was always going to be a lunatic gallop from the gun. Pretty savage pace to start the season.

buffalo wrote: »
    Glad to hear you're okay CramCycle - never good to see an ambo stopped during a race.
    Good to see you, sorry we didn't get time to catch up properly. As for the crash, one was a great guy, who done an everest last year, gave me a tube and a pump to get me home, I owe you big time, nice to have a chat on the spin back. Good luck in Navan tomorrow. Dublin Wheelers rider who came down refused help and rode home after he swapped wheels with the Lucan rider. The adrenaline wore off and he looked sore back at base but a really nice guy, more concerned about others as he hobbled in. Lucan lad seemed in good shape but glad the ambulance gave him a look over as he had quite the glancing blow off the road. Reactions like lightning from him though. Nice guy and glad to see common sense overriding adrenaline as he took the option to wait for the ambulance.
    dahat wrote: »
    44km race was always going to be a lunatic gallop from the gun. Pretty savage pace to start the season.
    That it was.

One thing I will say about the race. The little I seen of it, marshalling was excellent. Organisers were great, friendly and overall a hearty thumbs up from me. Definetly be back next year. Also the competitors, great warmth all round from everyone there.

Negatives, none that I seen bar the ridiculous number of Lucan riders, are they cloning themselves? Also one rider asking were we allowed on the other side of the road during the neutralised start, which may have speed up the rear end of the group away from him.

Advertisement