Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclist wants to turn right from cycle lane.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Chuchote wrote: »
    I do it the other way round: quick glance over the shoulder, if there's room, signal and move right.

Actually I glance, signal and move right too. Was paying more attention to it on my way home tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Hi all
    Just wondering what the story is with turning right? I approach my turn off, which goes from a single lane to two lanes with lights. I want to get in the right lane to turn, but am currently in the cycle lane? I've been making the hand signal to turn right for about 5 to ten seconds, traffic is still whizzing past me (50Km/h limit).

Does a car have to give way in this instance? Or do I need to get off my bike and take the pedestrian crossing at the lights? I realize what the safe answer is, but what's the legal answer?

I'd go with safe, personally. But for a lot of turns across traffic it is better to start (as people have said) your manoeuvre early, like 500 meters from the junction, if that's what it takes.

I take a right from the Long Mile Road onto the Kylemore Road, which take me over three lanes of traffic.

Sometimes I just pull into the left, wait, and bide my time to get across. Most times I sprint like a mofo when I have "timed" a gap I see!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You need to increase your speed to 50 to match the traffic OP. If you can't, then the answer is standard and obvious. New bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

I think this exact model (with string) of torch is excellent for cycling. Highly portable.

If you wear it on your right wrist It's very effective when indicating right

On normal cycling you can point it in front of you and make adjustments to where you want to see easily.

Also good to flash at a car Comming towards you that you suspect isn't seeing you. Fab product / easy to carry and very bright

https://goo.gl/images/yyn549

I highly recomend this torch for cycling and occasional use

If you have long hair - remove from the back while holdong the torch at the front to avoid getting hair tangled. The string is the best one not the strap ones IMHO

https://goo.gl/images/yyn549

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Others will inevitably disagree, but I'd like to mention that if traffic is really heavy and fast, I'll stop at lights, dismount and walk across when the lights change. Better a live coward than a dead hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Others will inevitably disagree, but I'd like to mention that if traffic is really heavy and fast, I'll stop at lights, dismount and walk across when the lights change. Better a live coward than a dead hero.

Traffic is not heavy at this spot, but plenty of speeding going on.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.299543,-6.2332328,3a,60y,212.53h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1spdynHUZkG9myvQ6HMMSXPQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Lumen wrote: »
    Please explain.

How can you not see the issue? What if he said "i see many protestant cyclists doing...." I see many black cyclists doing...".

Would you take issue then?

Parchment wrote: »
    How can you not see the issue? What if he said "i see many protestant cyclists doing...." I see many black cyclists doing...".

Damn left-footers, clipped in on only one side!

Damn left-footers, clipped in on only one side!

And it's not the right side!

• Advertisement

At least in the old days they were horse Protestants…

Getting back to the issue, my advice would be to judge the traffic carefully; when it's light and slow, take the lane early and hook around, but when it's fast or heavy, stop at the lights, wheel bike across both sets of lights and get back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Parchment wrote: »

It would be helpful if you would spell out the issue so I don't have to guess.

I haven't read anything about differential risks to protestant/black cyclists, but there are statistically significant differences between male and female cyclists in terms of KSI rates and the types of vehicles involved in accidents.

Jumping up and down about sexism the moment someone suggests that there are behaviour differences is detrimental to gaining any insight in this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

You make it sound like cars are "Robots" and wont show some consideration towards a cyclists trying to turn right! the reality is the vast majority of motorists will slow to allow a cyclist to complete a right hand turn.

Turing right is not that difficult...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Surely Being ahead of traffic and indicating does in fact give you the right of way on a single lane, regardless of being in a cycle lane?

No, its only an indication of your intent to move. It doesn't give you right of way, and in traffic moving at 50kph I'd be exercising a lot of caution.

I have something similar on my commute to work. I cycle down the Malahide Rd into Fairview and take the cycle path at the park, but I not to go right at Edge's hardware store. Some cyclists move over to the extreme right lane after St. Josephs school, but I'd rather cycle to the pedestrian lights, dismount and move over safely.

Its a bit more time consuming but feck it, its a lot safer than assuming traffic will allow me right of way.

No, its only an indication of your intent to move. It doesn't give you right of way, and in traffic moving at 50kph I'd be exercising a lot of caution.

I have something similar on my commute to work. I cycle down the Malahide Rd into Fairview and take the cycle path at the park, but I not to go right at Edge's hardware store. Some cyclists move over to the extreme right lane after St. Josephs school, but I'd rather cycle to the pedestrian lights, dismount and move over safely.

Its a bit more time consuming but feck it, its a lot safer than assuming traffic will allow me right of way.

Gotcha, so keep on assuming drivers are idiots and be happy for the rare times you are proved wrong!

Gotcha, so keep on assuming drivers are idiots and be happy for the rare times you are proved wrong!

Or keep on assuming that a lot of times people are distracted (often because they're idiots and are looking at smartphones while driving, of course), or are drunk or drugged, or are in a sad, desperate dream of how in God's name they're going to pay the mortgage, or whether the cancer scan is going to be clear, or whether the kid will emigrate to Australia and never come home… You have to cycle, or drive, under the assumption that everyone else on the road may not see you, and may not have as fast reactions as you, and may be in another world.

Cars are built with blind spots so they can withstand crashes when the car rolls over onto its roof.

Cyclist are def more vulerable and car drivers say after impact ...
    SMIDSY sorry mate I didn't see you. See www.smidsy.com for more info.

I recently moved my tax/nct/ins cert to the middle bottom of the wind
    Screen to give me a max view of other road users. Pls consider doing the same

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

worded wrote: »
    ....I recently moved my tax/nct/ins cert to the middle bottom of the wind
    Screen to give me a max view of other road users. Pls consider doing the same
    It's legally required to be on the bottom of the nearside. (Just sayin'!)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Any good driver can usually predict what a cyclist intentions are from body position, glances behind, direction taken etc... For instance, if a cyclist stops pedaling, looks behind it usually means they want to take the lane or move to the lane to the right. Time to ease off, see what the story is, give some room.

A lot of drivers chose to ignore or are simply too stupid to see what's going on in front of them.

Driver's need a thought experiment. They should try imagining themselves in a nissan leaf on the M50 that can barely make the speed limit, surrounded by speeding trucks and trailers, that blatantly ignore their indicators and drive across them whenever they feel like turning.

When they complain about it, the lorry drivers mention the fact that some other small cars were seen breaking a red light and that should even it out.

Maybe then the insanity might become apparent, then again....maybe not.

• Advertisement
Advertisement