Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eddie Vedder

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

Sounds like outrage

I hear Barney the Dinosaur is making a come-back tour. You better head over to the parenting section and look for some discount codes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 iambeave

Zardoz wrote: »
    The ticketing industry is utterly corrupt and Ticketmaster have a monopoly in alot of countries including Ireland.

Look at this
    https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/jul/16/bands-fans-declare-war-online-ticket-touts

Absolutely disgusted at ticketmaster allowing people to resell tickets via their company Seatwave, they must be making a fortune - just found two for €400 each. They need to make this illegal.

I got really lucky yesterday on the presale tickets, which I thought were still a scandalous price for block A on the edge... I'm eating my words today! Will more tickets be released or is it really sold out? Why do you still have the ability to click and view the tickets if it is sold out?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Gavinz wrote: »
    Sure he was on here a couple of days ago asking for pre-sale codes for Alice Cooper.

Scummy.
    Good sleuthing columbo

Had wrote some of this yesterday but didn't get to post it...
    david75 wrote: »
    Again you have to realise it's the promoter sets the price point. Not the artist.

Neil young did three gigs in vicar st in 2003.

€105 a ticket before charges. That was unheard of. But it was Aiken setting the price for that gig in that small venue.

Artist has a set fee. Promoters take that and wrangle it to fit their market and apply a profitable mark up.

The artist rarely even knows what that price point is as it's different in Ireland than it is in England or Germany and so on. Cos it's different promoters in each country each knowing their market and what their economic ability is within that market.

The promoter sets the prices after they find out the artist's fee, the artist very much has a lot to do with it.

Neil Young would have commanded a fair chunk for those 2003 Vicar Street gigs. It was up to the promoter to choose to run the gigs and try to make a profit, or pass on them. €105 was what allowed the promoter to make a profit after Neil and overheads were paid.

Yes, technically MCD/Aiken will decide the final ticket price, but the artist's fee is what sets the range where that price will be. If Neil offered them a price in 2003 that would have allowed them to run gigs in Vicar Street at around €55 a ticket and not €105, then that's what we would have seen. Same here with Eddie.

Also, we're talking about Eddie Vedder and not just any artist or band in the touring machine. There's his meticulous control over everything from the top down to consider, plus his band's history with Ticketmaster. I imagine that he knows quite well how much it's costing a fan to go to one of his gigs.

I've bought tickets to see PJ in quite a few countries over the years, the ticket price is only the start of the expenditure. I know full well the expense I'm taking on at the time, but funny it's these few EV solo gigs on my 'doorstep' which are the first to make me raise an eyebrow at the cost involved in choosing to partake.

Given that there's some discussion about it here, and a 13 page thread about the pricing got locked on the 10 Club forum yesterday, there is a group who are clearly not ecstatic with the pricing of these gigs. That's a first for PJ-related gigs in my own experience.

1 day later...

God damn TM, eh? Sorry for anyone who had to dredge through the swamp this morning and not come out with tickets on the other side. I got my tickets through a presale, like I had to for most of the gigs I'm going to this year. Seems to be becoming more of the norm now if you want to avoid the TM general on-sale (read: onslaught) and the disappointment of ending up empty-handed.

Essential, and slightly depressing, reading at this stage about the ticketing industry: https://theringer.com/ticket-industry-problem-solution-e4b3b71fdff6#.vair1pctg)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

^ Sickening that those having to 'dredge through the swamp' are having to encounter turds like the one exposed on this thread..

It's the blatant 'fûck you' of the poster, who I would have read before as a contributor to this forum that turns the stomach...

As a music lover, touts, whether corporate or just distasteful individuals, are as low as it gets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Albert_Camus

UsedToWait wrote: »
    ^ Sickening that those having to 'dredge through the swamp' are having to encounter turds like the one exposed on this thread..

It's the blatant 'fûck you' of the poster, who I would have read before as a contributor to this forum that turns the stomach...

As a music lover, touts, whether corporate or just distasteful individuals, are as low as it gets.

I'd consider myself a massive music lover, and the touts are bad I agree (but we can expect it of those folk), the price our beloved artists are charging to play massive arenas is, for me, more stomach turning :) the prices to pop down to the three arena are just crazy. This gig particularly so, due to the history of ed.

It kind of makes no sense.. it seems the prices get higher the bigger the venue. Whereas you'd think it would go the other way haha

• Registered Users Posts: 21,383 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

UsedToWait wrote: »

It kind of makes no sense.. it seems the prices get higher the bigger the venue. Whereas you'd think it would go the other way haha

Ah but being in a position to play the bigger venues comes with the position of being able to charge more too!

Mushy wrote: »
    Ah but being in a position to play the bigger venues comes with the position of being able to charge more too!

Ah I know, I was just joking really. I leave them to it when they get that big.

Love what Pearl jam and the rest of the grunge scene gave me whilst growing up. And seeing the bands in reasonable sized venues was great.

Too big, too diluted, too expensive now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

stankratz wrote: »
    Had wrote some of this yesterday but didn't get to post it...

The promoter sets the prices after they find out the artist's fee, the artist very much has a lot to do with it.

Neil Young would have commanded a fair chunk for those 2003 Vicar Street gigs. It was up to the promoter to choose to run the gigs and try to make a profit, or pass on them. €105 was what allowed the promoter to make a profit after Neil and overheads were paid.

Yes, technically MCD/Aiken will decide the final ticket price, but the artist's fee is what sets the range where that price will be. If Neil offered them a price in 2003 that would have allowed them to run gigs in Vicar Street at around €55 a ticket and not €105, then that's what we would have seen. Same here with Eddie.

Also, we're talking about Eddie Vedder and not just any artist or band in the touring machine. There's his meticulous control over everything from the top down to consider, plus his band's history with Ticketmaster. I imagine that he knows quite well how much it's costing a fan to go to one of his gigs.

I've bought tickets to see PJ in quite a few countries over the years, the ticket price is only the start of the expenditure. I know full well the expense I'm taking on at the time, but funny it's these few EV solo gigs on my 'doorstep' which are the first to make me raise an eyebrow at the cost involved in choosing to partake.

Given that there's some discussion about it here, and a 13 page thread about the pricing got locked on the 10 Club forum yesterday, there is a group who are clearly not ecstatic with the pricing of these gigs. That's a first for PJ-related gigs in my own experience.

1 day later...

God damn TM, eh? Sorry for anyone who had to dredge through the swamp this morning and not come out with tickets on the other side. I got my tickets through a presale, like I had to for most of the gigs I'm going to this year. Seems to be becoming more of the norm now if you want to avoid the TM general on-sale (read: onslaught) and the disappointment of ending up empty-handed.

Essential, and slightly depressing, reading at this stage about the ticketing industry: https://theringer.com/ticket-industry-problem-solution-e4b3b71fdff6#.vair1pctg)

I was saying the artist has little or no input or even interest in what the promoter does after the fee has been agreed with the promoter. . And worse sadly they seem to be uninterested in taking on Ticketmaster about secondary market prices. I spoke to someone involved with this sorta thing tonight who didn't know what seatwave was (and are doing) and his first comment was 'well why aren't bands taking that on and asking TM for a bigger cut or a share of that secondary market price?'

If pearl jam and U2 and Bruce Springsteen etc(who has been burned badly in the US by this very thing and even responded publicly to it) if they unionised now against that practice we might see some change. Sady we won't.
    Nobody ran to pearl jams flag when they picked this fight the first time. Could have been different had a real fight and change happened then.
    Touring and concert revenue is artists sole bread and butter now. So none of them will upset the apple cart.

Then it comes down to fans simply boycotting things like seatwave and saying no.

The way this is headed now, could go two ways and we're already seeing one.
    More and more and more fans unable to get tickets for shows and simply being totally priced out by secondary market (fuelled and enabled by TM etc) and returns falling on shows and tickets goin unsold / tours becoming smaller and only hitting big markets and the seatwave element dying by being too greedy. Basically if only a few affluent people can afford to attend it won't be sell out gigs and it's not making anyone money.

Or the system we have becomes a norm and the TM aspect is almost phased out and it becomes almost an auction based system where the tickets go for whatever the dumb but loaded punter can and is willing to pay.

Option A is happening sort of but so is option B but it's is unsustainable in even the mid term.

Or the system we have becomes a norm and the TM aspect is almost phased out and it becomes almost an auction based system where the tickets go for whatever the dumb but loaded punter can and is willing to pay.

I kind of think this is how it should go, not sure where dumb comes into it though, there are people willing to pay 60.45, 91.50 here to go, if someone is willing to pay 150, 250, where do we draw the dumb line? We are yet to see how much the average punter will pay.

Once the money goes to the artist instead of the tout, then happy days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Woolygloves

I kind of think this is how it should go, not sure where dumb comes into it though, there are people willing to pay 60.45, 91.50 here to go, if someone is willing to pay 150, 250, where do we draw the dumb line? We are yet to see how much the average punter will pay.

Once the money goes to the artist instead of the tout, then happy days.

But then for popular acts only those who can afford the high prices will get to go. That's not fair and not what most artists want, a room half full of people who don't know the music. Glen Hansard got a lot of them after the Oscars win and real fans frequently got priced out of the market

But then for popular acts only those who can afford the high prices will get to go. That's not fair and not what most artists want, a room half full of people who don't know the music. Glen Hansard got a lot of them after the Oscars win and real fans frequently got priced out of the market

Yeah good point, I get you.

Suppose I just mean, are sure of what the high price is yet. I'm sure most artists was to maximise their return.

This one is 60 -90.

Could they have tried 70-100, 80-110.

How high can they go? We are finding out slowly I guess. They keep going up And people are still fighting over the tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

But it says "ticket master will be encouraged to report the bot attacks"....not bloody likely if they are the ones doing them

Recommend keeping your eyes on TM tomorrow. Early.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Recommend keeping your eyes on TM tomorrow. Early.

Are they going to put the upper tier on sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 soo35

The other support mentioned was going to be another act ed has previously had on support for tours. And yes it was still going to be €100.

Ed had glen on his last four tours and tickets were in the €50 region. About £60 in the U.K.
    Glen or any support act has no bearing whatsoever on the final price.

To be completely cold you're paying for Vedder and his family to have a European vacation.
    He has an entire week off after cork before the tour resumes. He's probably flying private jet as Pj do when they're in Europe and staying in the best of places, usually the merrion when in Dublin. All that said and I can tell you it's still worth every cent seeing them together. They're absolutely brilliant. That's why he consistently chooses the guy as his support.

Add that up. Support act doesn't really come into it. Support acts usually don't even get paid outside of travel and accommodation expenses.

Have you seen them live together? Is it more of a double act type thing going on where they share the stage every now and then or is glen support only and Eddie does a full show himself?

soo35 wrote: »
    Have you seen them live together? Is it more of a double act type thing going on where they share the stage every now and then or is glen support only and Eddie does a full show himself?

Seen em 7 or 8 times together. Glen does a support slot. Then ed plays. He helps ed out on society long nights during some sets. But generally every gig he has glen up and the two of them play a few songs then again at the end for hard sun and rockin in the free world if it's on the set
    Here's a sample from their first tour together

06/29/2011: Chicago Theatre, Chicago, IL, USA
    Opening act: Glen Hansard
    Set: Without You, Sleeping By Myself, Goodbye, Broken Heart, Can’t Keep, Soon Forget, Longing To Belong w/ cello, Around The Bend, Off He Goes, I Am Mine, Betterman, Speed Of Sound, Setting Forth, Guaranteed, Rise, Just Breathe w/ string quartet, Slow Lukin w/string quartet, Unthought Known, Porch
    First Encore: 4th Of July, I Used To Work In Chicago, Wishlist, Picture In A Frame, Society w/Glen Hansard, Falling Slowly w/string quartet (Glen with Eddie duet vocal),Open All Night, Let My Love Open The Door, Crazy Mary, Rockin’ In The Free World
    Second Encore: Hard Sun w/ Glen and various kids from the audience, Dream A Little Dream
    TFT Notes: Glen Hansard joins Ed for “Society” and then Ed returns the favour duetting with Glen on “Falling Slowly” which again has the addition of a string quartet used by Ed earlier in the night for “Slow Lukin” and “Just Breathe” which he dedicates to Stones skinsman Charlie Watts and his wife. It is covers galore for the first encore with Dave Alvin’s “4th Of July” a new addition to the covers list. During Hard Sun Ed invites some kids and their parents from the crowd up on stage.

It's not on that list but they usually sing sleepless nights together without any mics and standing at the front of the stage. Dunno if that'll happen in the point it being so big n all.
    Pic of that here
    https://instagram.com/p/BRUHoWBBZs4/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

Extra tickets for the Dublin show will be released on Thursday morning at 9am. I hope the fans here who missed out last week get tickets this time.

• Advertisement

Will say to anyone it's a much much better idea to go to a TM outlet and just be there at 9am. You will definitely get a ticket that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Woolygloves

Peter File wrote: »
    Extra tickets for the Dublin show will be released on Thursday morning at 9am. I hope the fans here who missed out last week get tickets this time.

Interesting. Any idea if it's the high up seats because they're opening up the higher levels?

Wonder how people will hear about this?

They're opening the top tier yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Got 2 standing for Cork...
    Also sent email to info@tenclub. about pricing/seatwave etc ......

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

watch out for Allianz insurance, I was inadvertently charged an extra €9, it comes up as a separate charge and doesn't show up on the final payment page.:mad: I sent them an email to cancel it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Peter File wrote: »

Thanks. Is there a source for this information?

[edit] just noticed it's on the Ticketmaster site.

They're opening the top tier yeah.

It was inevitable the promoter would do this ,the lure of the extra cash was too much.

Whilst it allows a larger audience to attend ,it will dilute the intimacy of the gig .
    The venue is too large for a solo gig ,it will be by far the largest capacity on the European tour.
    A second night would have been a better option but it wasn't allowed for in the schedule.

Will be interesting to see the price of the upper tier tickets ,probably the top price too,as they know they will get it.

We were never getting an intimate gig in the 3arena. Opening up the back tier won't affect the intimacy for anyone who already has tickets. You have the same seat you had last week. Will be interesting to see how they price these new tickets. Much further back n all.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Evil Sausage

Will be interesting to see the price of the upper tier tickets ,probably the top price too,as they know they will get it.

They will be the same as the cheapest tickets last week, according to them - from €61.45

https://twitter.com/mcd_productions/status/841212500209221633

• Advertisement

We were never getting an intimate gig in the 3arena. Opening up the back tier won't affect the intimacy for anyone who already has tickets. You have the same seat you had last week. Will be interesting to see how they price these new tickets. Much further back n all.

That is true ,the 3arena is too big a venue for these type of gigs .
    Marquee will be much more intimate.
    They will be the same as the cheapest tickets last week, according to them - from €61.45

From 61.45 ,so most likely a few seats at that price in the corners and the rest will be the top price of 91 euro .

Advertisement