Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eddie Vedder

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

I'm not one of those complainers but man...half that audience may as well have just stayed outside. Just non stop yappin not even listening. Though as glen said you can't hear the people listening.

Brilliant gig though. Setlist was slightly different than planned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

david75 wrote: »
    I'm not one of those complainers but man...half that audience may as well have just stayed outside. Just non stop yappin not even listening. Though as glen said you can't hear the people listening.

Have to admit that was the perfect quip from Glen and it sorted the crowd out quickly for that particular song....not nice when people don't realise the significance of what they're hearing to the artist

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Think we were lucky to get any version of Black in Dublin. It wasnt on the original setlist and we could clearly hear Eddie prompting the big fella to sing Last Kiss but he was having none of it and think he decided it would be Black and Eddie just went with it :D

Yeah I know, we were lucky to get it, even if only half of it was as it should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

Was Dublin better? I thought the audience played their part in a truly amazing show...Because of the 'festival ' nature of the Marquee you'll always have that minority who'd be just as happy at a Bruno Mars gig..
    I thought the crowd lifted songs like 'Porch' and 'Black' to great heights..Vedder seemed to be having a great time!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

That's a bit harsh and unfair ,I thought the crowd were very well behaved ,there was nobody talking near me .
    Like sheaP said I thought Eddie was impressed with the crowd.

• Advertisement

Ah no they really really brought it by the end they were great! Just on the quieter songs it's was constant background chatter but like ye say. It's more of a festival vibe at that :) I effin love that tent tho! Been loads of times it's great for a gig on the right night:)

Last night was deffo the right night!

Last night was deffo the right night!

Did you get another after party in?!

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    Did you get another after party in?!

Little bit yeah:) got 2 passes but down with tons of pj mates from overseas but there was only one I could give it to. She's a massive fan of both glen and ed and tours all over to see them and knows glen a good bit but had never met ed. I knew she wouldn't have the fanmeltdown all my other mates would have (and I've had) and I totally picked right. He loved her :) they were chatting for ages and we ended up taking loadsa goofy photos. After this one
    https://instagram.com/p/BVPKwMslmLx/

You hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭lukin

Did Eddie break the curfew last night too?I thought he played a lot longer than he was supposed to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

To be fair Glen was on very early even as support acts go and most of the talking was people arriving in.

He's a self righteous twat at the best of times. Should just stick to what he does best as when he starts talking it's usually hard to bare.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

Totally amazing gig, great sound & setlist though would have loved to have heard Immortality. Crowd-meh. Was up near the front and the amount of phones out above people's heads was scandalous-I called one girl out on it as flash was going off in my face (she was taking selfies) and got an earful of abuse.:mad:

Bit subdued reaction by crowd I thought for Comfortably Numb & Rockin in the Free World too, fight broke out during this one near me, Eddie was looking over at it.

Poor taste whoever threw a Soundgarden t-shirt at him mid-song.

Loved his quip for Hunger Strike requests (seriously?!) "I will.. yeah":D

Liked his story of the cow**** smell in Millstreet back in '96!!

lukin wrote: »
    Did Eddie break the curfew last night too?I thought he played a lot longer than he was supposed to.

He finished at 11.06 ,I think the curfew is 11 .
    Crowd-meh. Was up near the front and the amount of phones out above people's heads was scandalous-I called one girl out on it as flash was going off in my face (she was taking selfies) and got an earful of abuse.

I was about half way back in standing ( best spot for sound ) and there were very few phones out ,none blocking my view,which is a refreshing change at a gig,and security were quick to stop anyone who had them out.

It may have been different up near the front ,as there seemed to be more of a yuppie ,posers element up there from what I could see .
    Bit subdued reaction by crowd I thought for Comfortably Numb & Rockin in the Free World too, fight broke out during this one near me, Eddie was looking over at it.

Subdued ? lol ,the roof nearly came off the place for Rockin in the Free World.
    The crowd were brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

Subdued ? lol ,the roof nearly came off the place for Rockin in the Free World.
    The crowd were brilliant.[/QUOTE]

Yip it was around me, deffo a younger crowd though near the front. Anyways, it was great to be so near all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    Glen was brilliant. Loved when he called yer man '****er'.

Eddie is some character. Loved all his little stories.

The version of Jeremy was one of the best things I've ever witnessed. I hope someone got a video of it.

I have mixed feelings about Black. If it was on the setlist I'm sad the guy sang it, would have preferred to see a proper version. If it wasn't on the list, I'm happy he got ed to play it. Anyone have a pic of the list ed wrote down?

Everything else was perfect. Auld triangle was something else!

Half tempted to go to Cork!

What a night, buzzing.

Edit- Found the list, Black wasn't on it. Thanks big guy for making him sing it!

Interesting. I assumed when the quartet were rushed on that he'd planned it for later but your man ballsed it up for him. They knew the song though so he just be playing it at some gigs.

Edit: I see now they played Black in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Rekop dog wrote: »
    To be fair Glen was on very early even as support acts go and most of the talking was people arriving in.

He's a self righteous twat at the best of times. Should just stick to what he does best as when he starts talking it's usually hard to bare.

There was plenty of people (Girls mainly) 'air kissing ( mwah mwah...) and then spending their time talking to each other loudly, and few "SCHHHHHH's" sorted them out..... And the gob****es standing checking f***ing BookFace for most of the evenings !! (at least they werent talking tho ...)

Bit harsh on Glen ! Hes an intelligent man, and if he wants to speak, why shouldnt he?
    The only gripe i had was his set list! Janey mack , the songs that the man has wrote, and he plays Woody Guthrie songs etc....
    That imo is a bit pretentious , and thats when people start talking, when there is a song being played that they arent familiar with.
    There was no one talking when he was lifting the roof with "Minds made up" ... !! WHAT A PERFORMANCE !! What a voice !!
    There is no Irish singer that can compare with his range and ability!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Taking the pearl jam tinted glasses off for a sec I thought the Dublin gig was great up the encore which got dragged out a bit too long. I thought Rocking in the free world and the auld triangle in particular were a bit ****e. Felt like two lads in a pub just banging out tunes.

Other than that it was awesome though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Taking the pearl jam tinted glasses off for a sec I thought the Dublin gig was great up the encore which got dragged out a bit too long. I thought Rocking in the free world and the auld triangle in particular were a bit ****e. Felt like two lads in a pub just banging out tunes.

Other than that it was awesome though!

Think you must have replaced you PJ tinted glasses with your miserable b@stard glasses. Dragged out too long?? I think the entire crowd would have stayed there until the early hours of the morning, just lapping it up for as long as we could. So what if those 2 songs sounded like a bit of a music session. It makes the entire performance more of an intimate affair with the audience. The only issue I had was with having that guy up for Black. It should have been ME!!!!!! I was thinking to myself afterwards that I would have given it socks of We Belong, We belong together, together, Together etc. And get the crowd going with the da, da da, da, da da da da. Hell, I would have just kicked Eddie of stage, and taken over.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Deenie78

@flasher0030 - Totally agree - with everything you said ... except wishing it was me up there, me singing (or attempting to) would have quickly destroyed the night for everyone - wouldn't fancy being lynched as the person who ruined the best gig EVER!! :-D
    I know a few people have said this already but it was amazing that it felt so intimate for such a big crowd!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭ashdale5

Little bit yeah:) got 2 passes but down with tons of pj mates from overseas but there was only one I could give it to. She's a massive fan of both glen and ed and tours all over to see them and knows glen a good bit but had never met ed. I knew she wouldn't have the fanmeltdown all my other mates would have (and I've had) and I totally picked right. He loved her :) they were chatting for ages and we ended up taking loadsa goofy photos. After this one
    https://instagram.com/p/BVPKwMslmLx/

Ah man so jealous. Where was that taken?

• Advertisement

ashdale5 wrote: »
    Ah man so jealous. Where was that taken?

Aftershow party. They have a deadly little set up backstage outside the tent.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭ashdale5

Aftershow party. They have a deadly little set up backstage outside the tent.

Ten Club members only?

ashdale5 wrote: »
    Ten Club members only?

God no:) band n crew n families

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Highlights for me were Off He Goes and Wishlist. Used Rise in our wedding last year so was cool to hear then him messing it up. Starting off with Better Man really set the tone for a great night. The run in from Porch through to Hard Sun, belter after belter....so that's at least half the setlist.

Had one person in front of me constantly taki g photos, should've used the poster tube to batter it away. She must also have dozens of pics of people's hands. Very annoying! She cheered Come Back then said what's this one! Another lad didn't seem to enjoy it, looked for Lovely Horse to be played. Overall crowd was great, loved the sound it was shockingly good for the venue.

Mushy wrote: »
    Had one person in front of me constantly taki g photos, should've used the poster tube to batter it away. She must also have dozens of pics of people's hands. Very annoying! She cheered Come Back then said what's this one! Another lad didn't seem to enjoy it, looked for Lovely Horse to be played. Overall crowd was great, loved the sound it was shockingly good for the venue.

These cretins get on my goat ,incessantly taking pictures on their crap camera phone.
    If you want to take a proper picture at least use a proper camera luv .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

These cretins get on my goat ,incessantly taking pictures on their crap camera phone.
    If you want to take a proper picture at least use a proper camera luv .

If you wanna take a picture then turn the flash off!! All you get is the backs of peoples heads .

Lad behind me started recording with the flash on. I just gave him the fingers till he noticed and stopped :D:D he tried again but security had him marked.

Another fella to the side recorded the ENTIRE gig. Had the phone held under his chin. Id say he was there on behalf of someone else cause he looked like the most bored man alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

I did like the bit when when Ed and Glen were talking to some guy in the audience who was asking for a request ' I will... I will...I will in me bollix"! Perfect :D

Erik Shin wrote: »
    I did like the bit when when Ed and Glen were talking to some guy in the audience who was asking for a request ' I will... I will...I will in me bollix"! Perfect :D

Think that was hunger strike? Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Mouzone

Easily two of the best gigs I've ever attended. Almost impossible to separate them but I'd just go for Dublin as the better one due to the unbelievable performance of Jeremy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭lukin

Erik Shin wrote: »

I could have sworn that he put on a Cork accent when he said that and he actually said "I will yeah". That's a phrase Cork people say when they actually mean "I won't". Maybe Glen was teaching him some Cork slang words beforehand.

Advertisement