Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eddie Vedder

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

lukin wrote: »
    I could have sworn that he put on a Cork accent when he said that and he actually said "I will yeah". That's a phrase Cork people say when they actually mean "I won't". Maybe Glen was teaching him some Cork slang words beforehand.
    Hardly just a Cork phrase now is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Rekop dog wrote: »
    He's a self righteous twat at the best of times. Should just stick to what he does best as when he starts talking it's usually hard to bare.

Pity there's not a 'dislike' button on here.

Never met the man, but it's clear as day the numerous times I've seen him that he's a genuinely sound, down to earth chap, with no airs and graces.

Sure he speaks from the heart, but don't equate that with self-righteousness.
    Maybe you don't like people who wear their heart on their sleeve, but calling him a 'self-righteous twat' is out of order imo.

(And by the way, it's bear, not bare, dog)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

UsedToWait wrote: »

Never met the man, but it's clear as day the numerous times I've seen him that he's a genuinely sound, down to earth chap, with no airs and graces.

Maybe you don't like people who wear their heart on their sleeve, but calling him a 'self-righteous twat' is out of order imo.

Was just wondering has Dog ever even seen or heard some of eds rants and explosions on things that displease him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭lukin

Hardly just a Cork phrase now is it?

Point taken, I know it is used in other places too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

UsedToWait wrote: »

I've met him and he was very down to earth and didnt act like a stuck up rock star. No need for the nasty comments about him.
    I would have liked if the idiots who filmed songs were ejected on Friday night. Why can't they enjoy the moment and spend it looking at the stage instead of filming on camera phones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

I have to admit, I took about about 12 seconds of Ed rocking The Clash, should I stay or should I go ...only because i wasn't believing my eyes!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Deenie78

Was anyway else like me - going mad, tutting and eye-rolling at everyone using a camera phone but then trawling through the internet like a crazy person the next day looking for any footage?!? ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 20 gleesoneoin

this was class as Eddie made up an extra verse and so did glen. Can anyone remember Eddie´s? Glen´s was ´I´m with Eddie Vedder, it couldn´t get any better, he has a heart the size of the world, and the auld...´ :)

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

this was class as Eddie made up an extra verse and so did glen. Can anyone remember Eddie´s? Glen´s was ´I´m with Eddie Vedder, it couldn´t get any better, he has a heart the size of the world, and the auld...´ :)

Something like "we've both got more questions than answers... on our journey we ride, without knowin why, we may fall slowlyyy.. but forward.... and the auuullldddd...." :D

*i will yeah...I will in me b*ll*x

• Advertisement

Was Eddie's something about coming to Ireland to see his friends Bono, Larry and the Edge? Don't think he mentioned Adam though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Imallrightjack

greenspurs wrote: »
    Very good , positive review....
    The reporter sounds like a fan :)

A fan,probably from cork and writes for the examiner.little bit biased id say :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

Deenie78 wrote: »
    Was anyway else like me - going mad, tutting and eye-rolling at everyone using a camera phone but then trawling through the internet like a crazy person the next day looking for any footage?!? ðŸ˜႒

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Deenie78 wrote: »

Yes 100%. Played everything on youtube on Saturday that was up for the Friday night. Didn't do too much tutting on the Friday night though - not much need for it. Plus the security guy was an a$$hole, so I was kinda hoping that someone would overdo the phone (as long as it didn't impact on me!!). Provoke him and let a fisticuffs break out. The power went to his head. The guys beside me were constantly up and down for pints, but there was no noise from them.

In fairness, the quality on youtube was crap enough anyway, but it was more a case of looking up stuff to create the feel good factor that I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Plus the security guy was an a$$hole.....The guys beside me were constantly up and down for pints, but there was no noise from them.

I think I was sitting behind you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭flasher0030

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    I think I was sitting behind you[/QUO

About 5 rows from the back on the left side of Block P.

I heard the majority of the security were the same. So they must have had strict instructions to keep crowd disturbance to a minimal. I know I said the security guy was over the top, but it was great for the gig. Chatter just annoys the bejasus out of me at gigs. Unless it’s Slipknot or Iron Maiden or the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

definitely could have done with more security in the Marquee

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

About 5 rows from the back on the left side of Block P.

Nope, I wasn't so. I was in C.
    The security guy was on his high horse alright, but I was ok with it. I was delighted not to have screens on everywhere!

• Advertisement

jadie wrote: »
    definitely could have done with more security in the Marquee

Why ??? for phones ? :confused:

lads i have the whole marquee show AUDIO ONLY. if anyone is interested pm me. the audio isnt spectacular but you can hear every word and every song clearly.
    all thats missing is the song comfortably numb.
    if nothing else its a keepsake.

lads i have the whole marquee show AUDIO ONLY. if anyone is interested pm me. the audio isnt spectacular but you can hear every word and every song clearly.
    all thats missing is the song comfortably numb.
    if nothing else its a keepsake.

Ive got one with comfortably numb I think?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,618 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

david75 wrote: »
    Ive got one with comfortably numb I think?

Soundboard recording?

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Soundboard recording?

No they don't do official boots for Eddie shows. Audience recording. But still great.

Lads actually recording the full gig, I don't feel so bad now about grabbing one sneaky shot of the two boyos in Cork :pac:

obBKM5M.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Rekop dog wrote: »
    He's a self righteous twat at the best of times. Should just stick to what he does best as when he starts talking it's usually hard to bare.

lol. Met Glen dozens of times at this stage (usually in Whelan's) going back as far as the early 90's even and he has always been nothing but humble and down to Earth with anyone I have seen him interact with. To a fault in fact and I think he could do with some self righteousness as he is too damn polite at times. I remember on one occasion a few years back during a gig in Vicar St (that was epic) some moron roared at him and called him names, he ended up getting kicked out but towards the end of the show Glen went quiet, looked concerned and said that he felt bad for the guy that got thrown out... 2000 people collectively all responded and not sure we all said the same thing but the essence of it was I'm sure something like "Ah ffs, Glen... the guy was a cunt who gives a shit".

I could be wrong but I that may have been shortly after that guy in America took his own life at one of his shows and I think that may have been playing on his mind.... who knows, but the point is that Glen's a genuine guy who wears his heart on his sleeve and while undoubtedly not the most confident of public speakers, there's no way he's coming from a place of self righteousness... he doubts himself too much for that. I wouldn't agree with his politics at all but know from experience that he'd be the first to listen to you if you disagreed with him and had something to say.

Even when receiving the Oscar he was all over the shop which famously resulted in John Stewart sarcastically suggesting he was arrogant.

Ah sure it's Ireland I suppose... we don't like people getting too ahead of themselves do we..... get back there now and fix those bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

lol. Met Glen dozens of times at this stage (usually in Whelan's) going back as far as the early 90's even and he has always been nothing but humble and down to Earth with anyone I have seen him interact with.

I second that and more so. I have been heavily involved with him and the frames since I was 17 and he has been nothing but down to earth in every way.

Once, back before he had money, I used my dad's printing company to print up a load of Blurb for the Frames (mostly advertising gigs or glossy leaflets advertising the For The Birds album) and dropped them into his house in Clontarf at the time (he used to live a few doors away from Gerry Ryan) and he could not stop thanking me enough. From the stage, phoning or texting to say thanks and more.

And their manager still seeks me out when they play near me to see if I need a guest list pass and the like.

After one gig in Galway when Glen spotted me in the crowd he found me after the gig and offered me a ride back to Dublin in his car which I gladly took with him and his little brother. Got to listen to some audio cassette stuff of the Frames that was never released, with him asking my opinion on some of it. He was convinced most of it was really **** as it happens, but I though some of it was releasable and some of it could probably be buried forever.

And that is before I get into the charity work he has done and does.

I also remember one of the most frequent posters on the Frames Message Board once was a absolutely sweet French Girl who simply was nuts about the band. I got in contact with her and FINALLY in my 3rd year at college we arranged the time and money and resources to get her over to Ireland for a gig. She came for her first ever show in the Lobby Bar in Cork and bumping into Glen I happened to mention she was coming. Well..... no one got so well looked after. He sought her out, made sure all her drinks were paid for, made sure she got the best seat in the house, dedicated two songs to her, found her after wards and did busking for her after the show outside on the bridge near the Lobby, and kept telling her how much it meant to him when any fan goes to that much effort just to see him and his bunch of misfits play. And how moments like that are what he draws on in moments of doubt where he can then tell himself "Well we must be doing SOMETHING right to get this level of dedication and love back for us".

Me and Glen bonded over our mutual love for Van Morrison too. So whenever I have bumped into him he has either whipped out his guitar or found one and done a song of his for me. More often than not "Hungry for your love" because it is his favorite and in my top 10. And when he found out I had helped the French girl afford to come over.... he OPENED The lobby show for me with a cover of a cover..... the waterboys medley of "Healing has begun / Thrill is gone" which to this day is still my single best Frames memory and the best song they have ever covered live.

And my other great memory was of going to a show in Derry with my girlfriend. The sound was a bit off and the set itself was a bit iffy. Glen came out in the crowd and spotted me and his face fell. He ran over and apologized OVER AND OVER again at how **** the show had been. He kept asking where we were staying and I did not know why.

Next morning came a knock on the door of where we were staying. It was glen and his then drummer. They pretty much literally kidnapped us, bundled us onto the tour bus, and dragged us to Dundalk for the next show all the while saying "This one will be better, I promise!". And we ended up having very late breakfast in Dundalk with him, Mic Chrisopher and Josh Ritter during a great powerful show where he went a little over board and threw his harmonica out the window of the Spirit Store during Rent Day Blues. But a much better show it was. And how.

So yea i never get where the "arrogant" thing comes from with Glen at all. But the meme clearly does not only exist in Ireland because.... as you yourself pointed out........... I remember when he got the Oscar for Falling Slowly the person hosting the awards made a joke comment about how arrogant he was, and enough of the audience laughed to give me the impression they were well aware of the meme and the point of the joke.

He HAS said in interviews however that there is neurosis all band fronts have in his opinion, which is an unending desire to be noticed and appreciated. So sure, we can call that a character flaw if we want to be judgmental...... but just not a character flaw even remotely singular to him but to the front man or lady of any band. But he knows the flaw is there and is quite sheepishly apologetic about it in most interviews.

I have heard some comedians make the same point in interview though. There is a kind of "me me me" thing about comedians and band front (wo)men.

i dont know glen at all and ive never met him.ive seen a lot of frames gigs and a lot of glen on his own.but at the cork gig the other night he sounded more and more like christy moore which annoyed me.

bangin on about economic migrants and landlords etc.it just kind of depressed the night that was in it.IMO. theres a time and a place for it and that wasnt it especially when it was not even his audience.
    still i thought he sang extremely well and the set was good.but hes in no way what that other poster called him.no way.

• Advertisement

i dont know glen at all and ive never met him.ive seen a lot of frames gigs and a lot of glen on his own.but at the cork gig the other night he sounded more and more like christy moore which annoyed me.

bangin on about economic migrants and landlords etc.it just kind of depressed the night that was in it.IMO. theres a time and a place for it and that wasnt it especially when it was not even his audience.
    still i thought he sang extremely well and the set was good.but hes in no way what that other poster called him.no way.

He did say the same stuff about landlords etc in Dublin .....
    But as i said before , he can say what he wants, he has the mic !

Advertisement