Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eddie Vedder

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,499 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

sparrowcar wrote:
    They couldn't do Slane, nor would I want them too, horrible venue for accessibility.

I think I could be done with this venue, I didn't even bother for gnr

• Registered Users Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

sparrowcar wrote: »
    They couldn't do Slane, nor would I want them too, horrible venue for accessibility.

Would love to see them do somewhere a bit more intimate, speaking of which what would be a good venue. I'm thinking around the 15-20k mark??

15-20,000 is intimate ? In comparison to Slane, or just in general...
    Intimate in my opinion , would be The Olympia or The Ambassador, or Vicar Street .... and none of those would ever happen, and would be sold out on a minute.....
    Whats wrong with Slane? Every event with 80,000 punters will have accessibility problems.. Its an iconic venue, for marquee names, and thats why there is only one a year.
    This has been discussed on the Pearl Jam thread... And i think they would fill it.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Yea accessibility is a nightmare.but why do you say they couldn't do it?
    The new pairc ui chaoimh perhaps?

And yee think Pairc ui Chaoimh wouldnt be a nightmare ?
    Everyone will still have to come up the Quays to enter exit..... its another bottle neck venue.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

greenspurs wrote:
    15-20,000 is intimate ? In comparison to Slane, or just in general... Intimate in my opinion , would be The Olympia or The Ambassador, or Vicar Street .... and none of those would ever happen, and would be sold out on a minute..... Whats wrong with Slane? Every event with 80,000 punters will have accessibility problems.. Its an iconic venue, for marquee names, and thats why there is only one a year. This has been discussed on the Pearl Jam thread... And i think they would fill it.

Slane is a poor venue, probably largely to do with our transport infrastructure, amongst other things of course. It's not worth it in my eyes, and I've been there a few times

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Camping at Slane makes everything better

• Advertisement

ILikeBoats wrote:
    Camping at Slane makes everything better

Probably the best option I've experienced at Slane to but im over it now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

They could do slane. You get a large part of the audience at slane regardless of who's playing just going for the day out. Not to sound dismissive but the one gig a year sorta crowd. They could do it. Should they is another question.

Marlay Park, Phoenix park or Malahide castle would be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Was at Slane this year for GNR and the sound was shocking. I'm not one to complain about sound as long as I can hear it, but I reckon at least 20,000 people up the back were feeling the same way. If they can't provide a good experience for 83,000 after grossing over ?7m from tickets, don't allow so many in.

I've never been more pissed off at a live gig. We tried to get closer but it wasn't happening as it was so packed.

At a venue that size ideally you'd have sound towers dispersed towards the back. We just don't so that here for some reason.

Saw the stones at slane and unless you were committed to getting into the crowd at least as far as the sound desk you may as well been listening to a stereo off on the distance.

Sound at slane has been historically bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

I stood just left of the left speaker tower. I had plenty of room (I could've put my arms out and twirled around), as could everyone around me. Sounded just fine!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Imallrightjack

Forget dublin this time.do a west coast tour.galway cork and Limerick.that's the way to go.

cormie wrote: »
    Was at Slane this year for GNR and the sound was shocking. I'm not one to complain about sound as long as I can hear it, but I reckon at least 20,000 people up the back were feeling the same way. If they can't provide a good experience for 83,000 after grossing over ?7m from tickets, don't allow so many in.

I've never been more pissed off at a live gig. We tried to get closer but it wasn't happening as it was so packed.

sound! the main reason why ive more or less given up on outdoor gigs, its not worth it

They consistently best sound at big gigs I've heard is Springsteen and U2.
    Always sound great no matter where you are in the venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

david75 wrote: »
    They consistently best sound at big gigs I've heard is Springsteen and U2.
    Always sound great no matter where you are in the venue.

Agree in general, but think Croke Park tests sound guys to the limit..

Heard complaints of Springsteen, and one year was stuck in Davin for one of the U2 gigs, and might as well have been on Jones' Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Pearl Jam and Springsteen double header at the aviva..... sorry...I'm wiping up some drool here

Erik Shin wrote: »
    Pearl Jam and Springsteen double header at the aviva..... sorry...I'm wiping up some drool here

Bruce has had ed onstage to sing many many times. All over YouTube if you're interested.

Actually there's an awesome photo somewhere of Eddie and Glen arms around each other watching a Bruce gig in Australia :) must try find it :) learning from the master and taking notes :)

Bruce has had ed onstage to sing many many times. All over YouTube if you're interested.

Indeed, that's why I mentioned it ;)

Ok. Listening back.

What is that chap thinking singing black? I'm excited for him but he's trying to out do ed and ed is sitting right beside him trying to course correct.

It's shockin. Not bad altogether. But same time..

This was our situation at Slane, park @ #1 in the VIP car park, 2 of us had VIP tickets, but 2 didn't, so we all went together into the main area and got in at #2. We ended up watching from #3

qG2djlv.jpg

There was no penetrating any further without resorting to this:
    13-10-10ev.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

cormie wrote: »
    This was our situation at Slane, park @ #1 in the VIP car park, 2 of us had VIP tickets, but 2 didn't, so we all went together into the main area and got in at #2. We ended up watching from #3

qG2djlv.jpg

There was no penetrating any further without resorting to this:
    13-10-10ev.gif

not quite true, our position is where the black spot is, was unreal, i could literally stretch my arm out and not hit anyone in front or behind, people were coming out of the bar by red entrance, turing right and hitting a wall of people, they gave up and just stayed there, thinking it was worse the closer you got, it wasn't.

If you look closely at the pic, about 100yards behind us, see the soup of people, and then it just opens out where we were

gnr_zpstumdvtpk.jpg

I had been at Slane before and was closer and had no problems. I think I heard back then people complaining about the sound too but didn't see the fuss. But this year all we could see was just wall of bodies and it looked like we'd have to battle the Spartans at Thermopylae to get closer :pac:

If there are going to be so many people with a terrible experience, they should either do something about that narrow bottleneck or limit the amount of tickets sold so everyone can have a good experience.

Historically certain promoters oversell tickets wildly. So for example it'll be 100,000 Slane tickets actually sold but only declare 80,000. There was an estimated 14,000 people in the point the night of that smashing pumpkins gig. It's legal capacity was 9,000. So oversell then spend the barest minimum possible on organisation for it. Sound security anything. Barbara Streisand disaster gig a few years ago a prime example.
    We only heard about that cos it was a well heeled crowd of a certain age and they complained about it vocally. Us general gig goers just tend to suck it up and complain but not in any structured way or to the relevant bodies involved.

It's a sh!te state of affairs but no amount of givin out on boards will fix it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Historically certain promoters oversell tickets wildly. So for example it'll be 100,000 Slane tickets actually sold but only declare 80,000. There was an estimated 14,000 people in the point the night of that smashing pumpkins gig. It's legal capacity was 9,000. So oversell then spend the barest minimum possible on organisation for it. Sound security anything. Barbara Streisand disaster gig a few years ago a prime example.
    We only heard about that cos it was a well heeled crowd of a certain age and they complained about it vocally. Us general gig goers just tend to suck it up and complain but not in any structured way or to the relevant bodies involved.

It's a sh!te state of affairs but no amount of givin out on boards will fix it :)

Rubbish, the likes of MCD couldn't oversell a gig by 20k, if something were to happen they'd be liable for huge payouts, too many people/companies have their fingers in the pie for it not to come out (ticketbastard, security companies etc), Fire chiefs would also know as every gig must obtain a license, which fire regs is a big part of

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

And here's me thinking i was changing the world on here :rolleyes:

We thought the point was big. Last night ed and glen played to 50,000 in Florence. On my way to Sicily for the last two shows. Gonna be deadly!
    https://instagram.com/p/BVvgQYpAiez/

I say this with no malice in my heart...but, would ya ever fck off!!..... #greeneyedmonster

Surely a PJ gig in Ireland would draw similar crowds?!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,408 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Erik Shin wrote: »
    Surely a PJ gig in Ireland would draw similar crowds?!

Hopefully we get one next year or so. Please not Slane, if bands like the foo fighters and Bon Jovi (with a little dip into there popularity) could headline Slane and sell it respectfully than Pearl Jam would too

Somewhere like the Avvia, Pairc ui Choamh or 3arena would do nicely

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Pearl Jam
    Pearl Jam performing with Neil Young in Ireland (1993).

Photo: Lance Mercer
    19400471_10155408436557485_4782077605865132082_o.jpg?oh=52d7df7693b0fe883e1d6c7b8e522c01&oe=59C827A4

Advertisement