Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eddie Vedder

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Eventim give 3% back on ticket purchases in the UK which is something anyway.
    Isnt there some Ulster bank account ,think its Ufirst where you can get 25% off Ticketmaster purchases .
    It hasnt been available to new customers for years though .
    That would be very handy .

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

"And even though I am a massive PJ fan, I didn't even try to get tickets.
    Im not throwing that money at him, to hear (more or less) the same songs I heard him play in Cork 2 years ago".

"Not negative. I don't want to pay that money to see him do the same songs that he did here 2 years ago.
    My opinion and prerogative".

Despite your previous comments, yet here you still are. Are you waiting for someone to try to twist your arm - "Ah go on, buy an Eddie ticket". You said you're not going to the gig. And have moaned about the prices. And now complaining about covers. I can't see what else you can positively bring to this particular thread. Time to take a hint.

This thread is titled Eddie Vedder. If somebody has an opinion on Eddie Vedder , regardless of whether its positive or negative , then this is the place to voice it.

Eddie Vedder wants to charge Elton John priced tickets to plebs for the privilege of watching him strum a geetar while drinking a quart of Guinness with his buddy.
    If Eddie Vedder wants to hang and have a jam with Hanssard , he can do it at Hannsards gaff and not at the o2 for 106 quid a pop.

Its Vedders job to sing for Pear Jam. Vedder has an obligation to deliver Pearl Jam to his fans.

I love PJ as much as the next person , but EV is not PJ and if people have a blind hero worship for just one man to the point where they will pay stupid money to see a repetitive one man show, then have at it. Don't expect others to willingly get fleeced for a half arsed product.

I went to the last show with 6 people and everybody agreed that once was enough. None of them had the slightest interest in doing it again when it was announced. Hence why tickets are still available.
    Those shows should have been a one-off. Eddie Vedder should be ashamed of himself for ripping us off again.
    I wouldn't give him 30 quid for it. You can take that to the bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Erik Shun

Burty330 wrote: »
    This thread is titled Eddie Vedder. If somebody has an opinion on Eddie Vedder , regardless of whether its positive or negative , then this is the place to voice it.

Eddie Vedder wants to charge Elton John priced tickets to plebs for the privilege of watching him strum a geetar while drinking a quart of Guinness with his buddy.
    If Eddie Vedder wants to hang and have a jam with Hanssard , he can do it at Hannsards gaff and not at the o2 for 106 quid a pop.

Its Vedders job to sing for Pear Jam. Vedder has an obligation to deliver Pearl Jam to his fans.

I love PJ as much as the next person , but EV is not PJ and if people have a blind hero worship for just one man to the point where they will pay stupid money to see a repetitive one man show, then have at it. Don't expect others to willingly get fleeced for a half arsed product.

I went to the last show with 6 people and everybody agreed that once was enough. None of them had the slightest interest in doing it again when it was announced. Hence why tickets are still available.
    Those shows should have been a one-off. Eddie Vedder should be ashamed of himself for ripping us off again.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Oilbeefhooked!

Burty330 wrote:

Vedder has zero OBLIGATIONS to fans!!
    Hes given us awesome music for almost 30 years, i think hes entitled to do what he wants at this stage, maybe not what you or i would prefer him to do but he certainly doesnt owe us fans anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I, Thank you.

People don't take nicely to harsh truths , when it comes to blind love.
    You, and I , gave our opinion, and because it differs to 90% of those on here, the opinion is presumed to be incorrect.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

n doing it again when it was announced. Hence why tickets are still available.

Ignoring all the "Obligation" tosh.

Did... did I miss it?

When I bought my ticket for this show after seeing him the last time in Dublin: Did I miss it?

Where was it?

The gun, I mean. I totally did not see the gun pointed at my head. Did anyone else who bought tickets see it?

I mean there MUST have been a gun to my head as apparently we are being forced to buy these tickets against our will (Assumingly under threat of violence)

Maybe it was some form of mind control: I enjoyed his show two years ago and thought to myself "You know what? That was fantastic! I would love to see him again"

But it seems this is not the case.... I was FORCED to buy these tickets.... EVERYONE was FORCED to buy these tickets.

Weird... Totally missed that.......

Ignoring all the "Obligation" tosh.

Did... did I miss it?

When I bought my ticket for this show after seeing him the last time in Dublin: Did I miss it?

Where was it?

The gun, I mean. I totally did not see the gun pointed at my head. Did anyone else who bought tickets see it?

I mean there MUST have been a gun to my head as apparently we are being forced to buy these tickets against our will (Assumingly under threat of violence)

Maybe it was some form of mind control: I enjoyed his show two years ago and thought to myself "You know what? That was fantastic! I would love to see him again"

But it seems this is not the case.... I was FORCED to buy these tickets.... EVERYONE was FORCED to buy these tickets.

Weird... Totally missed that.......

Totally missed the point also …..
    Did someone force you to post also ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

FFS thought this BS was over and done with :mad: ↓↓
    lordgoat wrote: »
    /MOD
    Also don’t feel compelled to post your same opinions over and over again.
    /MOD

greenspurs wrote: »
    Totally missed the point also …..
    Did someone force you to post also ??

You are entitled to your opinion (and you are) but I'm not? How does that work?

EVERYONE is entitled to an opinion. That poster posted theirs - and they are perfectly entitled to their opinion. You agreed to their opinion and you are perfectly entitled to agree.

But I am not entitled to post my opinion? Nice

Edit: Anyway. Still looking forward to the show. The last sold out so fast at least there are people who missed out last time able to go. Enjoy

FFS thought this BS was over and done with :mad:

I know !.
    But as long as 'pop stars' continue to charge over the top prices, on top of Ticketmasters charges, there will always *'BS' about gigs.

* BS = discussion for and against the price of solo pop stars, playing solo shows.

• Advertisement

You are entitled to your opinion (and you are) but I'm not? How does that work?

EVERYONE is entitled to an opinion. That poster posted theirs - and they are perfectly entitled to their opinion. You agreed to their opinion and you are perfectly entitled to agree.

But I am not entitled to post my opinion? Nice

Where did I say your weren't entitled to your opinion?

Quote ?

One thing I would say to those who were not there the last time: Hansard is playing support and there was no other support. so it was strange to see people coming in all noisy etc during his set. I would have thought that most would have been in to see him too. (Not the biggest fan but wouldn't have thought of him as a "support" act)

One thing I would say to those who were not there the last time: Hansard is playing support and there was no other support. so it was strange to see people coming in all noisy etc during his set. I would have thought that most would have been in to see him too. (Not the biggest fan but wouldn't have thought of him as a "support" act)

He was a bit 'meh' in Cork, he played some strange songs, considering his catalogue of songs between solo and The Frames.

Amazing singer, but his songs failed to grab the audiences attention in The Marquee.

Setlist from the Marquee.

American Townland
    (Interference cover)

Revelate
    (The Frames song)

When Your Mind's Made Up
    (The Swell Season song)

Bird of Sorrow
    McCormack's Wall
    Vigilante Man
    (Woody Guthrie cover)

Way Back in the Way Back When

I saw Vedder in the Hammersmith Apollo on 2012, and Hansard supported him, and he blew the roof off the place. The people all around me had never heard of him before !!
    I saw Hansard in a record store doing an acoustic set earlier that day, and he was amazing ! but only about 50 people there...
    Such a talented man, such a voice.

Yeah, as I said, I wouldn't be his biggest fan, but it was unusual to see him in a "support" position. I mean he was brilliant when EV brought him back out again. But I suppose EV's known for long sets if he's in the mood so there was no real time for another support act.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭flasher0030

He was a bit 'meh' in Cork, he played some strange songs, considering his catalogue of songs between solo and The Frames.

Amazing singer, but his songs failed to grab the audiences attention in The Marquee.

Setlist from the Marquee.

American Townland
    (Interference cover)

Revelate
    (The Frames song)

When Your Mind's Made Up
    (The Swell Season song)

Bird of Sorrow
    McCormack's Wall
    Vigilante Man
    (Woody Guthrie cover)

Way Back in the Way Back When

I saw Vedder in the Hammersmith Apollo on 2012, and Hansard supported him, and he blew the roof off the place. The people all around me had never heard of him before !!
    I saw Hansard in a record store doing an acoustic set earlier that day, and he was amazing ! but only about 50 people there...
    Such a talented man, such a voice.

I saw Glen Hansard in Vicar St. 2 weeks ago. I thought it was brilliant. I knew ZERO songs rom his solo albums. He played a few Frames songs and Once songs, so I was familiar with couple of songs.
    I listened to some tunes from his new album since, and they are excellent IMO. The gig had everything – emotion, power, comedy, bit of rock, and of course the obligatory lecture about preserving fields!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Oilbeefhooked!

Surprised people are paying good money to see Glen on his own ....he should only play with the Frames, as its his obligation to deliver Frames to the fans, winkwink

• Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

last time i saw Hansard was supporting Bruce Springsteen in Kilkenny in 2013 and he was pretty good. Brought out Damien Dempsey (who was also on the bill before hand) too sing Auld Triangle . He does have a bit of a Ego problem but is a talented guy

cant wait for July :D:D

Surprised people are paying good money to see Glen on his own ....he should only play with the Frames, as its his obligation to deliver Frames to the fans, winkwink

I got it for free, so he had no obligation to me!!!!!!

I do get your point though. In fairness that was some off-the-wall post - the one about him compelled to play with Pearl Jam. His job to sing for Pearl Jam. His obligation to deliver Pearl Jam to his fans. Just to get technical about it – he doesn’t have a job. He would be self-employed. He’s free to choose whatever type of work he does, and for whom he does it. Overall, it’s simple economics. Supply and demand etc. If someone thinks it’s too expensive, then don’t go. But no point in having rambles that the artist should be embarrassed, or that he has an obligation to not play, just to please the mob.

I definitely think ticket prices are overpriced. But it’s up to me to make the decision to go or not. Funny the poster mentioned €30. That’s exactly what I paid for my ticket for his 3Arena show 2 years ago. I average about 20 gigs a year, and for me it was the best experience I was ever at. For this gig, I’d pay €50. That’s my limit, for now anyway. If I get one for that, I’ll go. If not, I won’t. Magnificent show, but I’ve seen it already. The setlist will differ, but the surprise element has waned. When the night comes and if I don’t have a ticket, I’ll be very disappointed and I might fold and pay more. But that’s my decision. Nobody else. If EV plays to a half empty 3Arena, he may have some reason to feel slightly embarrassed that the ticket prices are set too high. But if he sells 10k to 12k tickets, then, like I say it’s simple economics – supply vs demand

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

still tickets on sale for this anyway.. I'm gonna hold out and hope they release front row like they did last time ..

I ain't going unless my seats are even better than last time

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭the goon

I d happily pay face value for ticket but if he was playing in my locality. I m not in Dublin so won't be going because the added expense of getting there and accomodation would be nuts.

I have a question though. How much of the ticket price is based on EV's fee and how much is based on classic middle man gouging? I d bet there's a fair bit of fat built in for the latter.

• Advertisement

I d happily pay face value for ticket but if he was playing in my locality. I m not in Dublin so won't be going because the added expense of getting there and accomodation would be nuts.

I have a question though. How much of the ticket price is based on EV's fee and how much is based on classic middle man gouging? I d bet there's a fair bit of fat built in for the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

I got it for free, so he had no obligation to me!!!!!!

I do get your point though. In fairness that was some off-the-wall post - the one about him compelled to play with Pearl Jam. His job to sing for Pearl Jam. His obligation to deliver Pearl Jam to his fans. Just to get technical about it – he doesn’t have a job. He would be self-employed. He’s free to choose whatever type of work he does, and for whom he does it. Overall, it’s simple economics. Supply and demand etc. If someone thinks it’s too expensive, then don’t go. But no point in having rambles that the artist should be embarrassed, or that he has an obligation to not play, just to please the mob.

I definitely think ticket prices are overpriced. But it’s up to me to make the decision to go or not. Funny the poster mentioned €30. That’s exactly what I paid for my ticket for his 3Arena show 2 years ago. I average about 20 gigs a year, and for me it was the best experience I was ever at. For this gig, I’d pay €50. That’s my limit, for now anyway. If I get one for that, I’ll go. If not, I won’t. Magnificent show, but I’ve seen it already. The setlist will differ, but the surprise element has waned. When the night comes and if I don’t have a ticket, I’ll be very disappointed and I might fold and pay more. But that’s my decision. Nobody else. If EV plays to a half empty 3Arena, he may have some reason to feel slightly embarrassed that the ticket prices are set too high. But if he sells 10k to 12k tickets, then, like I say it’s simple economics – supply vs demand

Hey Flasher , speak for yourself and not for Eddie Vedder , k?

Its not my concern what Vedder can and can't do with his life , the only thing you or I should ever expect from that man is to get up on stage and sings songs with Pearl Jam. Thats IT. Peal Jam > Fans / Fans < Pearl Jam.
    Thats what supply and demand IS.
    Deep down nobody wants this , but they don't have the bollok to admit it.

Pearl Jam could book 3 nights straight at the o2 and there isn't a chance in hell seats would be available on ticketmaster 2 MONTHS after release!

Take That delivered a wonderful spectacle to the 02 for 60- 80 quid. Big production values , theatrics , you name it. They delivered the show their fans deserved. Thats supply and demand.

Gary Barlow would have been laughed out of town if he took Take That on the road by himself and charged 106 quid tickets for piano renditions of the greatest hits.

Chris Cornell played the Olympia for 50 bucks back in 2016.

Eddie Vedder is not a solo artist like Cornell. His solo career is shallow and is made for venues like the Olympia for a reasonable cost.
    The 106bucks he takes off you suckers doesn't have to be split if 5 ways nor does it fund the transport of gear and equipment , because there is none to transport.

This is not what the paying punter deserves for 106 pound a ticket.

So yes , Eddie Vedder can do exactly what he wants , including ripping off his fans with a mickey mouse product , he just won't be doing it to me or plenty others who know a scam job when they see one.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Ben Done

^Jaysus I see the light.

I was actually suckered into buying tickets for a gig that, last time, turned out to have been one of the best concerts I've witnessed.

Fool me once..

Its not my concern what Vedder can and can't do with his life , the only thing you or I should ever expect from that man is to get up on stage and sings songs with Pearl Jam. Thats IT. Peal Jam > Fans / Fans < Pearl Jam.

Pearl Jam could book 3 nights straight at the o2 and there isn't a chance in hell seats would be available on ticketmaster 2 MONTHS after release!

Take That delivered a wonderful spectacle to the 02 for 60- 80 quid. Big production values , theatrics , you name it. They delivered the show their fans deserved. Thats supply and demand.

Gary Barlow would have been laughed out of town if he took Take That on the road by himself and charged 106 quid tickets for piano renditions of the greatest hits.

Eddie Vedder is not a solo artist like Cornell. His solo career is shallow and is made for venues like the Olympia for a reasonable cost.
    The 106bucks he takes off you suckers doesn't have to be split if 5 ways nor does it fund the transport of gear and equipment , because there is none to transport.

So yes , Eddie Vedder can do exactly what he wants , including ripping off his fans with a mickey mouse product , he just won't be doing it to me or plenty others who know a scam job when they see one.

Well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Ben Done

Well said.

Which parts did you particularly agree with?

That people going to this gig are suckers?
    That Take That put on a wonderful show?

Take That need to put on a spectacle to detract attention from the fact that there is no substance beyond it 🀪

OK... OK....

Look, can it be left like this:

There are people who think he should ONLY play exactly what they want to hear. Nothing more. Nothing less. Anything else that doing exactly what they want is a rip-off.

Simple solution: Don't go.

There are people who want to go. Who want to see what he'll play. Maybe want to see different versions of song they know and love. Maybe see them sung the exact same way. Maybe they just... y'know... want to go to a concert... Of their own free choice... and see something they believe is worth is.

Simple solution: Go.

Personally I don't believe that he (or ANY performer) should ONLY play the same songs for the same fans without changing or moving on. You want to see that, see The Rolling Stones. I think it's very limiting both as an audience member and a performer. But THAT IS A PERSONAL OPINION!!!!

Blahblahblah. He is OBLIGED to do EXACTLY what the fans want. No. He isn't. He is entitled to play whatever he wants and his fans are entitled to go or not go. I don't see why people, who are NOT going, are getting so upset at OTHERS going. None of their business.

Man, you’re a way too emotional about this. I hope the rest of your life is not this intense. You getting in to the “talking bollix” territory. As a start, I would advise you to refer to basic economics if you think that delivering a quality product (i.e. Take That gig) equals supply and demand. Supply is delivering a product at a price. Demand is customers buying a product at a particular price. Normally, the higher the price, the less demand. If at a particular price, a gig sells out, then obviously demand equals or exceeds supply. And from the sellers point of view, the price is justified. You might be getting a little mixed up with customer satisfaction for a particular product.

Anyway, what can I say. You’re comparing Take That to Pearl Jam; Gary Barlow to Eddie Vedder. I was at Take That gig in Croke Park couple of years ago. All about props to camouflage over the fact that most of their songs are average. That doesn’t do it for me. I have a passion for music. If I wanted to see a spectacle, I would have gone to the circus.

“Nobody wants this”????????????? Eh !!!! It might not sell out. But I’d say there will be 10,000 plus at it. Sounds like you are campaigning for a “No Brexit” vote.

It’s far from a mickey mouse product IMO. Like I said, I paid a couple of quid for my ticket couple of years ago. There’s no way I would spend €100 on a ticket. I’m a measly son of a b1tch. But I left 3 Arena at bout 11.45 that night, out in to the rain. And I had goosebumps and that buzzing feeling that I had just witnessed something special – everyone singing along to Jeremy. The lights on at the end and everyone on their feet for Hard Sun, the auld Triangle with Hansard, rockin in the free world. For me, it was amazing. And in hindsight at that moment, it was one gig I would have paid €100 for. I got a pressie of a ticket for The National last year in Donnybrook. Think it was valued at bout €80. That for me is a waste of money, rip off etc. . I love the National music. But the gig was a whole load of nothing. No atmosphere, no chemistry between band or audience. Might as well have their CD just playing in the background.

I tell you what you could do. Yourself and your little sidekick there, Greenspurs, make a couple of placards, condemning the price of the Eddie tickets. Head up to 3Arena on the night of the gig and shout to all and sundry who will listen to you – vent off that overwhelming frustration that seems to have overpowered you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Whatever about the cost, it is very expensive in fairness. But the 'product' is certainly not Mickey Mouse. Eddie's solo show is amazing, albeit different to a PJ show. I've seen Pearl Jam about 7 times in 4 different countries and honestly the Eddie solo gig the last time he was here was on par with the Pearl Jam shows. I went into it with low expectations but was honestly blown away with how enjoyable it was. Jeremy with the string quartet was one of the best live songs I've experienced.

• Advertisement

...... But I left 3 Arena at bout 11.45 that night, out in to the rain. And I had goosebumps and that buzzing feeling that I had just witnessed something special – everyone singing along to Jeremy. The lights on at the end and everyone on their feet for Hard Sun, the auld Triangle with Hansard, rockin in the free world. For me, it was amazing. And in hindsight at that moment, it was one gig I would have paid €100 for. I got a pressie of a ticket for The National last year in Donnybrook. Think it was valued at bout €80. That for me is a waste of money, rip off etc. . I love the National music. But the gig was a whole load of nothing. No atmosphere, no chemistry between band or audience. Might as well have their CD just playing in the background. ...

To get back on track :)

I was at both of those gigs and pretty much felt the exact same way. I had walked to Hanlon's Corner near Cabra, in the pi$$ing rain, before the buzz left me. I was at Glasto about two weeks later and the EV Point gig was still better than anything that year. As you said: Jeremy on a string quartet (quintet?!). Spinechilling. The craic was just brilliant. As I said before, prob the best audience I've seen at a concert. Simply amazing.

As for The National. I enjoy them. Saw them in Whelans a few years ago and Glasto two years ago but I just thought they were pretty flat and by-the-numbers at Donnybrook. No complaints technically but no buzz either (Again, my opinion).

To those who want to go: Go
    To those who don't want to go: Don't

Advertisement