Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eddie Vedder

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭r0chf0rt

Is the top section going to be closed for this gig?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Man, you’re a way too emotional about this. I hope the rest of your life is not this intense. You getting in to the “talking bollix” territory. As a start, I would advise you to refer to basic economics if you think that delivering a quality product (i.e. Take That gig) equals supply and demand. Supply is delivering a product at a price. Demand is customers buying a product at a particular price. Normally, the higher the price, the less demand. If at a particular price, a gig sells out, then obviously demand equals or exceeds supply. And from the sellers point of view, the price is justified. You might be getting a little mixed up with customer satisfaction for a particular product.

Anyway, what can I say. You’re comparing Take That to Pearl Jam; Gary Barlow to Eddie Vedder. I was at Take That gig in Croke Park couple of years ago. All about props to camouflage over the fact that most of their songs are average. That doesn’t do it for me. I have a passion for music. If I wanted to see a spectacle, I would have gone to the circus.

“Nobody wants this”????????????? Eh !!!! It might not sell out. But I’d say there will be 10,000 plus at it. Sounds like you are campaigning for a “No Brexit” vote.

It’s far from a mickey mouse product IMO. Like I said, I paid a couple of quid for my ticket couple of years ago. There’s no way I would spend €100 on a ticket. I’m a measly son of a b1tch. But I left 3 Arena at bout 11.45 that night, out in to the rain. And I had goosebumps and that buzzing feeling that I had just witnessed something special – everyone singing along to Jeremy. The lights on at the end and everyone on their feet for Hard Sun, the auld Triangle with Hansard, rockin in the free world. For me, it was amazing. And in hindsight at that moment, it was one gig I would have paid €100 for. I got a pressie of a ticket for The National last year in Donnybrook. Think it was valued at bout €80. That for me is a waste of money, rip off etc. . I love the National music. But the gig was a whole load of nothing. No atmosphere, no chemistry between band or audience. Might as well have their CD just playing in the background.

I tell you what you could do. Yourself and your little sidekick there, Greenspurs, make a couple of placards, condemning the price of the Eddie tickets. Head up to 3Arena on the night of the gig and shout to all and sundry who will listen to you – vent off that overwhelming frustration that seems to have overpowered you.

HAA HAAAA

Are you Dave Fanning ??
    A salty Dave Fanning ….
    We seem to have upset little old you with our different opinion to yours.

For the record, Vedder can choose whatever he wants to charge (exploit) the fans of Pearl Jam, I can choose NOT to pay that amount to hear the same list as I heard in London in 2012, and in Cork in 2017.
    Other can choose TO pay it , I have no problem with that, that's their decision.
    I gave my opinion about the cost, and the setlist , and the "mega fans" get all salty and upset about it... Are they upset over me voicing MY opinion, or just because I dared to question "EdVedd" ?
    Quiet lives.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Oilbeefhooked!

Burty330 wrote:
    So yes , Eddie Vedder can do exactly what he wants , including ripping off his fans with a mickey mouse product , he just won't be doing it to me or plenty others who know a scam job when they see one.

I might agree with you..... but for the fact the last gig in 3arena was one of the best gigs ive ever been to (and ive been to a lot inc,many PJ gigs).....
    Not many mickey mouse solo artists have the ability to make a venue the size of 3arena feel like Vicar St....it was a stunning gig, and id pay 150 euro no probs for the chance of a similar experience!!
    Take that style stage shows, dance routines and theatrics can be as fancy as you like , but EV on a stool with a guitar is by far better value for money to me than all that bull****!!

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Ben Done

greenspurs wrote: »
    Are they upset over me voicing MY opinion, or just because I dared to question "EdVedd" ?
    Quiet lives.

I can't speak for the mega fans, but imo, it's just because you're being a bit of a dick about it, and not content with voicing your opinion, you have to keep coming back to spew more bile over the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Burty330 wrote: »
    Take That delivered a wonderful spectacle to the 02 for 60- 80 quid. Big production values , theatrics , you name it. They delivered the show their fans deserved. Thats supply and demand.

Gary Barlow would have been laughed out of town if he took Take That on the road by himself and charged 106 quid tickets for piano renditions of the greatest hits.

Take That tickets ranged from 65-135 euro per ticket.
    Standing were 87 euro ,most of the seats were 135 euro.
    Thats not taking into account the huge number of VIP seats they sold and the Platinum seats they held back.
    They held back so many seats and drip fed them that they didnt even sell it out either night .
    It was supply and demand as you say ,Ticketmaster were controlling the supply to increase the demand.

Most of the best seats were only released a few weeks before the event as they couldnt shift them as Platinum.
    Thats the respect Take That have for their fans .

Say what you like about Eddie ,his ticket prices are high but he doesnt have any of this VIP/Platinum gouging.
    His tickets are definitely overpriced though , he is charging more for a one man show than for a full Pearl Jam show ,
    This was the man who took on Ticketmaster back in the 90's about high ticket prices ,thats along time ago .
    All of these artists seem to be mad for money ,the more they have the more they want .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Ben Done wrote: »
    I can't speak for the mega fans, but imo, it's just because you're being a bit of a dick about it, and not content with voicing your opinion, you have to keep coming back to spew more bile over the thread.

I must have omitted the likes of you in my options..... :rolleyes:

Bile? = opinion.
    Don't like my opinion ? IGNORE ME !

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

nothing-to-see-here-1399982649.jpg

Everyone's had their say. It's repetitive and boring. You know what they say about arguing on the internet.

Don't think the upper section is closed for this show.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭spindex

I'm gonna jump in here with my tuppence worth, I first seen pearl jam back in 1996 I thought the gig was good but not great (I wasn't going to be rushing back to see them live again). I then got a very cheap ticket to go and see Eddie on the day of the show in 2017, I was blown away by how good that gig was, so much so that I decided to give Pearl Jam another chance, I traveled to London for the rescheduled night 2 concert last year again the gig was good but nothing special. I am now done with Pearl Jam live, but when the Eddie tickets for the Three went on sale this year I was first in line with credit card in hand.
    To summarise, Shock horror, I would happily pay €200 to see Eddie solo again, I wouldn't pay €20 to see pearl jam.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

FFS thought this BS was over and done with :mad: ↓↓

Oh it is, alas I have a life outside boards and am only getting around to this now.]

greenspurs take a week off from this thread. If you post in here again before Fri 10th May 17:00 You get a 3 month ban from Gig/Events.

Continually dragging the thread off topic with the same arguments over and over again.

nothing-to-see-here-1399982649.jpg

Everyone's had their say. It's repetitive and boring. You know what they say about arguing on the internet.

Everyone else please follow this sound advice. Have a great long weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

Man, you’re a way too emotional about this. I hope the rest of your life is not this intense. You getting in to the “talking bollix” territory. As a start, I would advise you to refer to basic economics if you think that delivering a quality product (i.e. Take That gig) equals supply and demand. Supply is delivering a product at a price. Demand is customers buying a product at a particular price. Normally, the higher the price, the less demand. If at a particular price, a gig sells out, then obviously demand equals or exceeds supply. And from the sellers point of view, the price is justified. You might be getting a little mixed up with customer satisfaction for a particular product.

Anyway, what can I say. You’re comparing Take That to Pearl Jam; Gary Barlow to Eddie Vedder. I was at Take That gig in Croke Park couple of years ago. All about props to camouflage over the fact that most of their songs are average. That doesn’t do it for me. I have a passion for music. If I wanted to see a spectacle, I would have gone to the circus.

“Nobody wants this”????????????? Eh !!!! It might not sell out. But I’d say there will be 10,000 plus at it. Sounds like you are campaigning for a “No Brexit” vote.

It’s far from a mickey mouse product IMO. Like I said, I paid a couple of quid for my ticket couple of years ago. There’s no way I would spend €100 on a ticket. I’m a measly son of a b1tch. But I left 3 Arena at bout 11.45 that night, out in to the rain. And I had goosebumps and that buzzing feeling that I had just witnessed something special – everyone singing along to Jeremy. The lights on at the end and everyone on their feet for Hard Sun, the auld Triangle with Hansard, rockin in the free world. For me, it was amazing. And in hindsight at that moment, it was one gig I would have paid €100 for. I got a pressie of a ticket for The National last year in Donnybrook. Think it was valued at bout €80. That for me is a waste of money, rip off etc. . I love the National music. But the gig was a whole load of nothing. No atmosphere, no chemistry between band or audience. Might as well have their CD just playing in the background.

I tell you what you could do. Yourself and your little sidekick there, Greenspurs, make a couple of placards, condemning the price of the Eddie tickets. Head up to 3Arena on the night of the gig and shout to all and sundry who will listen to you – vent off that overwhelming frustration that seems to have overpowered you.

Im not emotional in the lightest , im opinionated , there's a difference.
    And even if i was emotional , at least its directed at the right source.
    Your emotions are directed at me which shows an incompetence to deliver a strong argument related to the thread.
    This is not about me or you so lets not communicate or exchange petty remarks with each other on a personal level , k? Ta.

So lets get this right. Eddie Vedder is NOT a solo artist. This show is sold entirely on the expectation he signs Pearl Jam songs.
    He has essentially stripped away 4/5ths of the band , thrown in covers/fillers and charged MORE that what is costs to see the real thing!!

Tell me why Vedder is playing a bare bones Pearl Jam gig at the o2 while Jerry Cantrel is bringing Alice in Chains to the Olympia for HALF the cost??

Unlike Vedder , Jerry Cantrell is a very accomplished solo artist with an extensive back catalog. He could come on his own and it would be well worth the price of admission. If he wanted to sing AIC songs , he would bring AIC , hence why AIC completely sold out without hours.

Vedder has the played out Into The Wild soundtrack which wasn't even written by him and some ukulele album nobody ever cared about.
    Once again , Eddie Vedder is not a solo artist. He's seizing the opportunity to deliver Pearl Jam without having to pay or bring Pearl Jam.
    Once? fine , twice ? Nah. The fact tickets are STILL on sale is proof my opinion is not in the minority.

As i already said - its a case of Eddie exploiting blind hero worship of fans who are willing to settle for second best.

Im not going to gravitate to the notion that Eddie can do whatever he pleases and i should be happy about it. Not when he's taking up a night at the o2 and charging over 100e a ticket to produce mickey mouse versions of Pearl Jam songs.. Small shows fine , but that booking should be reserved for Peal Jam.

Don't like it /don't go is such a basic , simplistic argument. Its Vedders obligation to tour with Pearl Jam , its certainly not my obligation to accept a second rate product.

I already saw the gig , while it was good , it wasn't worth he price of admission once , it most certainly isn't worth it twice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Im not emotional in the lightest , im opinionated , there's a difference...

snip

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and say you replied to the post you quoted.

See my last post before this. If you want to continue to post in this thread. Talk about the gig. Or not as you've made your point.

Stop posting the same argument over and over.

Take it to PM if you have an issue.

Burty330 wrote:
    Don't like it /don't go is such a basic , simplistic argument. Its Vedders obligation to tour with Pearl Jam , its certainly not my obligation to accept a second rate product.

Burty330 wrote:
    I already saw the gig , while it was good , it wasn't worth he price of admission once , it most certainly isn't worth it twice.

Burty330 wrote:
    Im not going to gravitate to the notion that Eddie can do whatever he pleases and i should be happy about it. Not when he's taking up a night at the o2 and charging over 100e a ticket to produce mickey mouse versions of Pearl Jam songs.. Small shows fine , but that booking should be reserved for Peal Jam.

But I've lost count of the amount of people on this thread and also facebook groups who reckon that the EV 2017 Shows be it in Dublin Cork or London ......was amongst the greatest gigs of their lives , PJ gigs included.
    So obviously just a real split on this between folk like you who reckon its mickey mouse PJ and others who think it was an financially worthwhile incredible musical experience, and cant wait to see if Julys gig can be similar.
    So i dont agree that people who really are looking forward to this gig are "suckers"....
    #Bringiton #agreetodiffer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Im not emotional in the lightest , im opinionated , there's a difference.
    And even if i was emotional , at least its directed at the right source.
    Your emotions are directed at me which shows an incompetence to deliver a strong argument related to the thread.
    This is not about me or you so lets not communicate or exchange petty remarks with each other on a personal level , k? Ta.

So lets get this right. Eddie Vedder is NOT a solo artist. This show is sold entirely on the expectation he signs Pearl Jam songs.
    He has essentially stripped away 4/5ths of the band , thrown in covers/fillers and charged MORE that what is costs to see the real thing!!

Tell me why Vedder is playing a bare bones Pearl Jam gig at the o2 while Jerry Cantrel is bringing Alice in Chains to the Olympia for HALF the cost??

Unlike Vedder , Jerry Cantrell is a very accomplished solo artist with an extensive back catalog. He could come on his own and it would be well worth the price of admission. If he wanted to sing AIC songs , he would bring AIC , hence why AIC completely sold out without hours.

Vedder has the played out Into The Wild soundtrack which wasn't even written by him and some ukulele album nobody ever cared about.
    Once again , Eddie Vedder is not a solo artist. He's seizing the opportunity to deliver Pearl Jam without having to pay or bring Pearl Jam.
    Once? fine , twice ? Nah. The fact tickets are STILL on sale is proof my opinion is not in the minority.

As i already said - its a case of Eddie exploiting blind hero worship of fans who are willing to settle for second best.

For real?! :pac:

To say Eddie Vedder is not a solo artist is ridiculous! If he records albums on his own and goes on tour on his own...that's kinda the definition of a solo artist. He is under absolutely NO obligation to tour with Pearl Jam. I'm actually in the, "it's too expensive" camp and will hold out hope for Pearl Jam visiting Ireland again.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Penfailed wrote: »
    For real?! :pac:

To say Eddie Vedder is not a solo artist is ridiculous! If he records albums on his own and goes on tour on his own...that's kinda the definition of a solo artist. He is under absolutely NO obligation to tour with Pearl Jam. I'm actually in the, "it's too expensive" camp and will hold out hope for Pearl Jam visiting Ireland again.

No , its reality. He has one solo album to his name and it was released to lackluster reception almost TEN years ago!

He is neither recording or performing solo material , therefore he is not a solo artist.
    Its Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam performing Pearl Jam while sitting on a stool , with covers of some other artists sucky songs thrown in between.:confused:

People go for one reason and one reason only - to hear Pearl Jam songs.

They don't turn up to hear solo materiel because there isn't any. I do not believe he plays much if any songs off ukulele songs.
    Not that 90% of the venue would even know if he did!

Eddie Vedder has just one obligation to his fans and that is to deliver Pearl Jam. You can't deny that all you want but its the truth.

As you said yourself , you hope.. We all hope. Therefore its his obligation to fulfill those hopes. Especially since he hasn't brought the band over since frickin 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,458 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Jesus.

Read the last few pages. My two cents.

I love Eddie. I prefer PJ. Would I pay that extortionate fee to see just Eddie, absolutely not. A few orinfinal songs and a few covers, no thank you. I’d rather go see a PJ tribute band in a pub for a €5 cover charge.

I think he’s always been exceptionally greedy with his prices on the solo gigs. Whether that’s him or the venue or what I don’t know... at this rate I don’t think I’ll ever get to see either Eddie or PJ live.

EV has 2 solo records with another in the pipeline.
    Thom Yorke has 2 solo records with another in the pipeline.
    While both being frontmen of incredible bands , i would also consider each to be solo artists who are perfectly entitled to tour their own solo material whilst also playing band material they had a massive part in writing....
    Sorry you dont agree but im done beating this dead horse...
    Roll on July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Erik Shun

Stay in for one weekend, that's the price of your Eddie V ticket right there...now that's all I'll say

EV has 2 solo records with another in the pipeline.
    Thom Yorke has 2 solo records with another in the pipeline.
    While both being frontmen of incredible bands , i would also consider each to be solo artists who are perfectly entitled to tour their own solo material whilst also playing band material they had a massive part in writing....
    Sorry you dont agree but im done beating this dead horse...
    Roll on July.

Including Atoms For Peace , Yorke has 4 solo albums.

His show costs around the 50e price range and its not based around Radioheads greatest hits.
    He mostly doesn't play and Radiohead and the people who turn up don't expect him to.
    Huge difference between a prominent solo artist like Yorke and Vedder whose show is entirely based around the premise he plays PJ songs.
    The arena will be left completely outraged if he doesn't play a single PJ song at his upcoming gig.
    Why? Because he's not a solo artist. Tickets for Thom Yorke are bought specifically to see him perform his critically acclaimed solo material.

But beyond all that , what i find most astonishing is people are actually arguing why they shouldn't get to see Peal Jam.

Bu Bu Eddie can do whatever he wants... What a joke. :o

I feel very lucky that I saw EV twice in 2017, PJ 3 times in 2018 , gonna see EV again twice in 2019 and will more than likely be attending a couple of PJ shows along with new material in 2020.....really dont see where the injustice complex is coming from....
    PJ played 26 shows last year...why cant they have 2019 off to prepare for a big 2020?
    And Eddie fancies playing a few European shows in the meantime so what ...

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭finhex

Huge difference between a prominent solo artist like Yorke and Vedder whose show is entirely based around the premise he plays PJ songs.
    The arena will be left completely outraged if he doesn't play a single PJ song at his upcoming gig.
    At least I wouldn't mind if he chooses not to play any PJ songs. I have seen PJ four times and EV only once. Actually it would be cool to have concert without any PJ songs... And I'm pretty sure I'm not alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭the goon

Irrespective of anyone's position on ticket price, some ridiculous statements being made about EV. He is a good entertainer and performer both solo and with Pearl Jam.

Personally I thoroughly enjoyed his performance in the marquee in 2017 and found him really enigmatic. If he comes back to the real capital I ll be going. That said, with ticket prices as they are, I fully understand if others decide it's not worth it.

Can it not be left at that without trying to detract from EV who has a justified reputation as one of music's greats?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Looks like the string quartet will be helping Eddie out again for this tour

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Yellowledbetter

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    Looks like the string quartet will be helping Eddie out again for this tour

I can live with that, they really added something special the last time

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

• Registered Users Posts: 21,383 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Knew that'd happen. Pity can't make it now, will probably have keys to a new house so will have to prioritise that

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Jgordo

Hi. Anyone here traveling to Amsterdam for the 1st gig tomorrow? I'm catching a flight in the morning. I can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Most 10C tickets in Amsterdam seem to be right up the front, hopefully that trend continues to Dublin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Last nights setlist. Drive all night. Indifference!! Nice

Eddie Vedder
    AFAS Live
    Amsterdam, NL
    June 09, 2019
    Show

Red Limo String Quartet
    Sietse van Gorkom-Violin
    Camila van der Kooj-Violin
    Rani Kumar-Viola
    Jonas Pap-Cello

Ed Onstage 20:57
    Ed Offstage 23:11
    Intro Music Tuolumne

Set List
    1. Keep Me In Your Heart-(Calderon, Zevon)
    2. The Needle and The Damage Done-(Young)
    3. I Am Mine
    4. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
    5. Indifference
    6. Brain Damage-(Waters)
    7. Sometimes
    8. Wishlist
    9. Without You
    10. Can’t Keep (with string quartet)
    11. Sleeping By Myself (with string quartet)
    12. Guaranteed (with string quartet)
    13. Far Behind
    14. Rise
    15. Wildflowers-(Petty)
    16. Man Of The Hour
    17. (improv)
    18. Lukin
    19 Porch
    {Ed leaves stage}

20. Alive (strings only no vocals)

{Ed back on stage}

21. Just Breathe (with string quartet)
    22 The End (with string quartet)
    22. Better Man w/ Jake Clemons
    23, Song Of Good Hope-(Hansard) w/ Glen Hansard
    24. Sleepless Nights-(Bryant, Bryant) {Busk version no mics}
    25. Drive All Night-(Springsteen) w/ Glen Hansard, Jake Clemons
    26. Open All Night-(Springsteen)
    27. Hard Sun-(Peterson) with The Red Limo Quartet, Glen Hansard, Jake Clemons & guests. {Red Limo sings does not play}
    28. Rockin’ In The Free World-(Young) with The Red Limo Quartet, Glen Hansard, Jake Clemons & guests. {Red Limo sings does not play}

Glen Hansard
    1. Grace Beneath The Pines
    2. Don’t Settle
    3. When Your Mind’s Up
    4. Fool’s Game
    5. Way Back In The Way Back When
    6. Her Mercy
    7. Falling Slowly
    8. This Gift

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

wow, savage setlist

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Funny but bad news. Just got a text from my friend at tonight’s show.
    Glen dedicated a song named my little ruin to Ed.
    Apparently cos they both ‘were on the turps’ until all hours.

That’s Ed’s voice gone for the next week or so I would bet.

They’ll be full strength by Dublin I hope

Advertisement