Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eddie Vedder

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

great gig.

a bit pretentious and sanctimonious at times, but that voice man, that voice. Amazing !

Highlights - Woman, Corduroy , Black, Wishlist, I am Mine.
    Lowlights - the Hansard bromance, and the 5 min declaration of it ! JUST PLAY MUSIC! the 2 young lads...

#Slane2020

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Penfailed wrote: »
    The rules are there for a reason. That reason is that it's really annoying/distracting for those around you.

It wasn't a "Rule"... it was a request.....

And I don't think taking 1/2 pics/vids is that annoying, filming the entire gig is mega-fcuking-annoying …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Mams hippo flaps

Great gig, thoroughly enjoyed it...I have a tendency to get overemotional when I hear Eddie on form...so by elderly woman, I was blubbing like a baby...not a good look for a man in his forties ;)

The constant in and out was annoying, I was sat at the end of a row, so I lost count of how many times I stood up... but look, its going to happen, we all know it....
    Black, rocking in the free world, immortality, better man, were all highlights for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Awful lot of people walking up and down constantly, I thought I just noticed it more because I was on an aisle seat. On the recording thing, 2 lads about 3 rows in front of me recorded nearly all of Hansard, and then when Eddie came on proceeded to start the same, right in my eyeline so I said it to him, the fact he had a jacket with a picture of Winston Churchill on the back probably ramped up the annoyance level as well...
    He put it down for the most part but started to pretend to take calls, security copped it and had a word.
    And that lad with the tintin haircut, had to be them in Bruxelles, still wearing the face off each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

I was there early, the merchandise queue was pretty painless. Was all done in an hour, got what I wanted.

Our Ten Club tickets were decent, not the best. We didn't get the flat but just a few rows up in the block. The speaker was right bang in the centre of my view of the screen, so didn't see any close-ups.

Glen was great, what a voice. Loved Revelate. We could see Eddie and co at the side of the stage watching him.

Eddie was in great form. Was he a bit stoned/hungover at the start and couldn't get his words out!? Love his energy. Straight into the first few tracks, it was class. Couldn't fault him, completely loved it.

The string quartet brought a lot more this time. They were fantastic. I could listen to they're covers for 2 hours!! Even flow with the crowd was unreal, really enjoyed it.

The bromance - I like it!

Song highlights - Elderly, I am Mine, Wishlist, Immortality, Black (although I think I'd prefer Eddie playing it himself, he didn't seem to know what to do with himself!), Corduroy (delighted we got that), Porch

The bad:

I get why they do the auld triangle, and I like the made up verses, but it took so long. That gig was probably about 2/3 songs shorter than average. I would have preferred more Eddie/PJ

I was sitting beside two seasoned ten club members, I was chatting to them before Eddie came on. I thought all would be good. But fook me, these guys wrecked my head. They sang along to the songs they knew which was great. For the big songs they were video calling people, shouting down the phone to them, not sure how the stewards didn't see all the phone activity. Then for the quiet songs or ones they didn't know or when Eddie was talking, they would not shut up, I found it hard to hear. I told them to keep it down twice - "Ah we're only having the craic", I get that, but I can't hear and you're supposed to be proper fans. They were up and down constantly too, which doesn't bother me but it means they were getting drunker as the night progressed. I was driving - so maybe my sobriety allowed me to get wound up easier, but it half ruined the night for me even though I was trying my best to focus on the stage and music.

The crowds were definitely worse than 2017 - as mentioned above, during Wildflowers everyone used it as a toilet break, you could see Eddie frowning. I think what may have happened is that a lot of people heard how great the last gig was and wanted in, but carried on like they would at a non-intimate gig. Look, it's always going to happen but couldn't have annoyed me as much as the two melters beside me. I was actually surprised Glen didn't get to pi55ed with everyone walking about during his set!

Overall, Eddie was brilliant, I loved it, but not as good as 2017

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

It’s so dark most of the time and you struggle then you get to go to a gig like that and all those songs and the joy and the energy of the crowd just blows it all away :) only had two setting last night. Smiling my head off and sobbing freely for certain and songs and lyrics. Throat is like I’ve swallowed buckets of gravel and sand today but so worth it:) whatever about the distractions, Dublin crowd is the best:) you could feel the buzz off us all:) this one will stay with me forever.

It’s so dark most of the time and you struggle then you get to go to a gig like that and all those songs and the joy and the energy of the crowd just blows it all away :) only had two setting last night. Smiling my head and sobbing freely for certain and songs and lyrics. Throat is like I’ve swallowed buckets of gravel and sand today but so worth it:) whatever about the distractions, Dublin IRISH crowd is the best:) you could feel the buzz off us all:) this one will stay with me forever.

FYP ….
    We're not all from Dublin :D;):D

greenspurs wrote: »
    FYP ….
    We're not all from Dublin :D;):D

Oops. Sorry :)

The Qween singer that Eddie put up the picture of ended up making it, was backstage during Eddies set and was teaching Eddie how to pose and move like Freddie afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭mollser

Really really enjoyed that.

I missed the last solo gig here, and despite all the reviews here and elsewhere, really wasn't sure how he could pull off 2.5 hours of acoustic stuff. But by God I was captivated by the whole thing, he really draws you in.

Not a fan of the Glen Hansard shtick, and don't really care for that Once song. But with EV singing it with him, it was incredible live - one of the many highlights of the night!

I just had this nagging thought the whole time though, especially when Eddie was standing playing towards the side of the stage like a proper front man (can't remember which song), that how good would a full PJ gig be - I just wanted my ears to be blown off at that stage with a full band!!

Really hoping for a Slane gig in the next year or two - they deserve to headline there!

What a night, 10 out of 10!

• Advertisement

mollser wrote: »
    I just had this nagging thought the whole time though, especially when Eddie was standing playing towards the side of the stage like a proper front man (can't remember which song), that how good would a full PJ gig be - I just wanted my ears to be blown off at that stage with a full band!!

That..... exactly.

Its been 9 years. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Jgordo

Poorside wrote: »
    The Qween singer that Eddie put up the picture of ended up making it, was backstage during Eddies set and was teaching Eddie how to pose and move like Freddie afterwards.

No he didn't make it unfortunately, met him outside afterwards. Glen came out to drop the 2 young lads into a waiting car and he recoqnised him and brought him through the gates for maybe 10 mins where he got to meet everyone. Eddie then came out, security organised us into to groups and they took 2 group photos and a few lucky people, myself being one shook his hands and exchanged a few words. He said it was so good to meet me.!!! (I do realise he probably said that alot but I don't care I feel pretty special this morning lol)

The Freddie guy posted pics:) over the moon for him :)

Jgordo wrote: »
    No he didn't make it unfortunately, met him outside afterwards. Glen came out to drop the 2 young lads into a waiting car and he recoqnised him and brought him through the gates for maybe 10 mins where he got to meet everyone. Eddie then came out, security organised us into to groups and they took 2 group photos and a few lucky people, myself being one shook his hands and exchanged a few words. He said it was so good to meet me.!!! (I do realise he probably said that alot but I don't care I feel pretty special this morning lol)

Ah I got the wrong end of the stick, he replied to me on FB, I just assumed he made it for the gig,
    I saw Qween a few months back and not only does he look like Freddie he sounds like him, would have blown away Crazy little thing called love.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Jgordo

Poorside wrote: »
    Ah I got the wrong end of the stick, he replied to me on FB, I just assumed he made it for the gig,
    I saw Qween a few months back and not only does he look like Freddie he sounds like him, would have blown away Crazy little thing called love.
    Ya he seemed like a nice guy and all of us waiting with him were delighted for him that he got brought in and got a few class photos.

His video with Ed is gold :) so happy for him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭lukin

I was wondering while I was watching the gig last night are the other members of Pearl Jam put out by the fact that Eddie is doing a tour (his second one) with a set consisting almost entirely of Pearl Jam songs? (and presumably keeping all the profits for himself)
    Because Corduroy, Porch etc. aren't Eddie Vedder songs, they are PJ songs.
    Another thing to consider is if there was a PJ tour next year for example, a lot of fans who have seen this tour might say
    "Sure I saw Eddie Vedder last year, I won't bother". This would mean the other PJ members would lose out financially.
    Maybe Eddie is giving the other members of PJ a cut of the profits of this tour, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Did anyone not find the video wall disappointing. It was out of synch the whole night.

Was down on the flats so didnt really bother me but when you are naturally drawn to it was very offputting.

Think i enjoyed 2017 more but hes a class act regardless. Not a massive PJ fan but he always puts on a show. He should include taxi booking into his tickets so you can get home before midnight..lol

He should include taxi booking into his tickets so you can get home before midnight..lol

That's why I drove - I knew there was no way I'd make the last train :D

lukin wrote: »
    I was wondering while I was watching the gig last night are the other members of Pearl Jam put out by the fact that Eddie is doing a tour (his second one) with a set consisting almost entirely of Pearl Jam songs? (and presumably keeping all the profits for himself)
    Another thing to consider is if there was a PJ tour next year for example, a lot of fans who have seen this tour might say
    "Sure I saw Eddie Vedder last year, I won't bother". This would mean the other PJ members would lose out financially.
    Maybe Eddie is giving the other members of PJ a cut of the profits of this tour, I don't know.

If PJ came I’m sure every fan in Ireland would want to go.
    He probably has to give the lads something if they’re credited with writing, or maybe he donates part of the profits to their charity fund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,383 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I'd say they don't care that much. Maybe they don't like touring that much, so handy to let Eddie run off doing his own thing.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,616 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

PJ playing ireland could sell out Slane twice over in my opinion.......

He sticks closely to playing his own songs he wrote. Corduroy long road LBC I am mine etc.
    You won’t see him playing any of the others songs like footsteps or daughter or thin air. Acousticish songs but written by the lads
    Probably cos he doesn’t want to be seen making money off the other guys efforts.

That’s only fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

He sticks closely to playing his own songs he wrote. Corduroy long road LBC I am mine etc.
    You won’t see him playing any of the others songs like footsteps or daughter or thin air. Acousticish songs but written by the lads
    Probably cos he doesn’t want to be seen making money off the other guys efforts.

That’s only fair.

Before playing Black last night, he said "here's a Stone Gossard Song"

I'm sure the other guys don't mind and most likely have other commitments stopping then from hitting the road. PJ I'd imagine comes first and foremost for Eddie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭lukin

Before playing Black last night, he said "here's a Stone Gossard Song"

Yeah I noticed that too. It was nice to hear the PJ songs last night but because it's just Eddie on it's own it's not quite the same.
    I'd love to hear them played them live by the full band so if they did announce a tour I'd kill for a ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

While it was great to hear all the PJ songs, I was surprised there wasn't more of his own. Would have loved to have heard Society. Although I know that's not actually his own as in he didn't write it, but if anything I thought the fact it was written by an Irish person would have made him more likely to include it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

sydthebeat wrote: »
    PJ playing ireland could sell out Slane twice over in my opinion.......

Well our promoters MCD and Aiken certainly don't think that way as we've continuously been told over the years that Pearl Jams booking fee is 1m and they don't believe that they could get it back .

Its something I find laughable ,Pearl Jam could easily sell out the RDS ,especially considering that they charge a flat ticket fee ,usually ~100 euro.

Personally I dont want to see them in Slane ,its a terrible venue .

Would have loved to have heard Society...

He didn't do too much on the Ukulele at all which was surprising

Long Road and Unthought Known were I would have loved to have gotten

• Registered Users Posts: 21,040 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

for a start he would have to pay royalties for all pearl jam songs, that wouldn't amount to a lot and he must have made a fortune so i would imagine he have to have an agreement with the band or the publishers at least.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

You don't have to pay roaylties for playing songs in concert.

Advertisement